IE60, Shure SE425 or Etymotic ER-4PT for iPhone 4?
Nov 11, 2012 at 12:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

netmask254

Head-Fier
I'm looking for a decent IEM for my iPhone 4 to replace current Apple IEM. I know iPhone is not a very good source, but it's the most convenient way to me.

I tried IE6 (& IE80) of my wife, they sound significantly better than Apple IEM. Sennheiser is the most famous brand in China, and IE60 looks more stylish (to me) comparing with others. However, after some study, I found SE425 and ER-4PT are highly regarded and IE60 has very few reviews. The only concern is that the IE60 is declaimed as suitable for iPhone (lower impedence), while the others especially ER4 may be slightly harder to drive.

Could you give me some advice about the choice (they cost almost the same in China market)? It's highly appreciated. My basic requirements are:
- Comfortable.
- Low impedence & no need of Amp, "best" suited for iPhone (mic is not necessary).
- Mainly listen to pop music (flac or mp3) at home or in office.
- Somewhat robust (my wife's IE6 fails immediately after two years warranty, while Shure and Etymotic provide only 1-year warranty).
- Somewhat stylish.

Nov 11, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #2 of 3
If you don't want to add on an amp, and just want improvements over the Apple earphones, any other in-ear phones with 32ohm impedance will be easily driven by the iPhone.

It really depends on what you want. Difficult for us to help recommend with the information given. I think there are quite alot of nice audio shops in China now that you can pop in and have a listen? Personally i don't like the Sennheiser IEMs... I'd recommend trying the Ultimate Ears, Westones... and if you're not prejudiced against the Japanese, then Sony and Audio Technica as well.

If you have unlimited budget then just grab an AKG K3003 and call it a day :)

Nov 12, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
If you don't want to add on an amp, and just want improvements over the Apple earphones, any other in-ear phones with 32ohm impedance will be easily driven by the iPhone.

It really depends on what you want. Difficult for us to help recommend with the information given. I think there are quite alot of nice audio shops in China now that you can pop in and have a listen? Personally i don't like the Sennheiser IEMs... I'd recommend trying the Ultimate Ears, Westones... and if you're not prejudiced against the Japanese, then Sony and Audio Technica as well.

If you have unlimited budget then just grab an AKG K3003 and call it a day :)

I think it's a good suggestion to go around the audio shops, though it requires some time to check where they are :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back