iem 150euros or less, solid, and good sq
May 29, 2009 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

extrabigmehdi

Headphoneus Supremus
hi,
I lost countless hours reading reviews , and I'm more undecided than before after reading all reviews .

Basically I'd like to spend less than 150 euros ,with good sound quality AND something that doesn't break too easily (at least with a normal use).
If they can resist to some "jogging", that would be great , but not necessary.
Aesthetic is also important , but not as much as other factors.
These at my first IEM of that price. (my previous ones , are 5$, and I just never use them
biggrin.gif
). I'm not interested by a big warranty, too complicated to return article (I get stuff with the help of someone , who travel. ) ..
I will use them with my ipod shuffle, my laptop, and perhaps main computer.

I plan to pay from one of three french online store. Because they accept paypal payments and that's important for me. Either from LDLC or from "rueducommerce" or from a recent website specialized on headphones/audio, "soundofarthur". I do not plan to buy elsewhere, so useless to suggest "turbo marchine", or anything hard to find.

I thought to buy :
  1. shure e210 for around 110 euros. Unfortunately, I read everywhere that there's much better alternative for the money. It seems the only article worth buying from shure is se530, but price is a bit too much (300 euros, best price I found). Also I don't like too much the need to put the wire around ears, but that's ok.
  2. Phonak Audéo PFE for 114 euros. I read everywhere that sound quality is incredible. Unfortunately there's a big thread saying that they "crack easily" . After reading the long thread of "defects", I'm just disgusted. Top notch sound quality, and cheap plastic, but why ?
  3. D-Jays for 90 euros. Lot of people say that the sound is great.
    I love the design. Unfortunately I read that Q-Jays have a significantly better sound, but couldn't find a place to buy.
  4. Soundmagic PL30.. I love their price, only 30 euros. Seems to have some success here, and It got very good rating at "les numeriques" french website. Unfortunately it seems that build quality can vary from a batch to an other. LDLC website classify this product as "generic" and not a "true brand".
  5. ATH-CK7 for 70 euros. I like the "design". Seems popular.
    The ATH-CK9, seems worse, and more expensive, curious, according to reviews.
  6. Apple double drivers iems for 80 euros . Seriously design and packaging seems great. Also there's a thread saying "Apple IEM - most underrated IEMs on the market". After reading the thread you believe that's a great buy.
    Unfortunately after reading a french review, you see they are rated 2/5 and hence not that good (too overrated here ? )
  7. Phillips SHE9850 for 80 euros, or she9700 for less. I don't like too much this brand, but they look great in the picture. Also they have a very good review at trustedreviews.com (rated 9/10)
  8. AKG K317 for around 60 euros. Not an IEM, but I like the design,
    and they are very well rated at digitalversus . Couldn't find unfortunately the better model K319.

If you find better alternatives from mentioned french store , let me know too.

Also I find it's a nightmare after reading all these reviews choosing any IEM.
I'm currently planning to buy at same time to buy an asus xonar stx at 180 euros, in order to get better sound from my hd595. I'm not too satisfied from my onboard sound, realtek alc889a, in my main pc . I made an other thread about this. [size=medium]My current dilemma[/size] is, if that's not worth to renounce to get the xonar stx, and instead invest in the high end iems like se530 (300 euros) , or westone um3x (330 euros).
I was thinking that maybe investing in "high end" for iem would be a "safer buy" (and insane for the price, but anyway). But this would mean that at the same time I would renounce to get my xonar stx .
I don't have enough money for both
wink.gif

Can someone help me to decide ? If you have some spare times, you can look also at the onlines store I've indicated. A least you can take a look at the website "sound of arthur" , easier to browse from someone that doesn't speak french.

Last details, if there are some "ear tips" I should absolutely get with my IEM let me know. I see that the ears tips from westone are "top sellers" in soundofarthur website. Also the "ear tips" from shure seems to have some success in this forum.

Thanks

ps: almost forgot. Music I like:
  1. music that are quite "dark", like Rammstein, or from the radio "amped out", or
    what they call "future synthpop" at website di.fm. The kind of music that can be stressing for lot of people I guess.
  2. very ambient, dynamic & relaxing music. Like "buddha bar" albums, "ambient lounge". Like the radio "chill out" at di.fm website.
    Like enigma, like "blank and jones", like " Sacred Spirit", like... ok that should be enough.
  3. or I just listen to "ambient" soundtrack that evoke wind, rain or stuff like that, which helps sometimes to get some concentration.
  4. Off course, my tastes are not restricted to that, but that's what I often listen.

thanks (again)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back