[IEM] Dynamic vs Balanced Armature Bass
Oct 21, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #61 of 103
Im a massive Ety fan myself. I find their tuning far far more correct than most. If only they wern't so hard to fit for my curvy ear canals. Oh well. Ive bought and sold the 4xr and 2xr.

Oct 21, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #62 of 103
Im a massive Ety fan myself. I find their tuning far far more correct than most. If only they wern't so hard to fit for my curvy ear canals. Oh well. Ive bought and sold the 4xr and 2xr.
I have to wear mine upside down to get a deep fit with large flanges. Been liking the Olive & Welti Target EQ for the ER4XR I found on Reddit gives it extra sub bass rumble without losing the point of using a 4XR.

Oct 21, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #63 of 103
I got the Shuoer EJ07 which is basically an Ety with a hell of a lot more subbass and more and better performing drivers.

[edit] This IEM has a cult following. It's amazing and sounds more like speakers in a room than anything else Ive heard. Expensive? maybe. worth it? I own 3.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #64 of 103
I'm the other way around the ER3XR I use seems to fit my ear no issue. I tried IEM's like the W40, SE425, Hybrids I never got a good fit & got a tip stuck in my ear. That why when I had a ER4PT/ER4SR I just did a 6db 105Hz low shelf was shocked the ER4 had no issue reproducing the bass despite being Single BA, with the ER3XR I can do 4db boost getting +8db bass out of It when I'm not aiming for a flat sound.

You can get 7mm BA woofers, but I've always wondered what a Full range BA would be like if they made one at 10mm?.

Oct 23, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #65 of 103
Check this out:

graph (66).png

Oct 24, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #68 of 103
I doubt that 7kHz makes any difference in normal use.

Oct 24, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #69 of 103
Yeah I agree. A bigger factor is the subbass and the drivers. Which are quad electrostatic drivers per IEM for treble, 2 BA for mids, and 1x10mm Dynamic driver for bass. Lets just say they can reproduce any frequency with mojo.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #70 of 103
I doubt that 7kHz makes any difference in normal use.
Even less so when you consider that it's perhaps entirely a bump caused by the coupler used to measure the response. Ety being inserted deeper(still probably not as deep as when worn correctly by a user), it doesn't show crinacle's '8KHz resonance special' and instead has a bump elsewhere.

Oct 25, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #71 of 103
Very true. I don't fully get what is going on with those 711 couplers because like you said deep fit ety don't have it but also some traditional iem designs don't either. Maybe its just a longer bore tube.

Oct 26, 2021 at 4:02 AM Post #72 of 103
Very true. I don't fully get what is going on with those 711 couplers because like you said deep fit ety don't have it but also some traditional iem designs don't either. Maybe its just a longer bore tube.

Yeah, the peak should be at 12 ~ 13KHz It masking the 3 ~ 4db dip at 7 ~ 7.5KHz. On other chart's the ER4 is 20 ~ 17,500Hz.

Yeah I agree. A bigger factor is the subbass and the drivers. Which are quad electrostatic drivers per IEM for treble, 2 BA for mids, and 1x10mm Dynamic driver for bass. Lets just say they can reproduce any frequency with mojo.
Yup the ER3XR/ER4XR are leak sensitive I'm having to get new clear flanges because I'm noticing leaks making my ER3 sound peaky & lack bass. Hybrids don't seem to suffer the above 10KHz roll off like Multi BA IEM get.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #73 of 103
Ah yes, the greatly conclusive case of open back full size headphone against some sealed BA IEM. Surely if we notice any change in sound, it will only come from the BA vs DD difference...:thinking:

I suspect a tiny flaw in the reasoning here.
You mean like you just totally ignoring that BA's are much stiffer to any DD diaphragm wise?. A year in this so called objectivist forum still mad about the ER4SR outperforming other gear with driver tech that many here blindly call junk. But when Custom Art blind tested a few reviewers with their new CIEM by not saying what drivers It used. They all got mad when they gave a Single BA CIEM 4.8/5 for bass performance, So don't act shocked if I'm just going to treat replies like this as mild trolling.

Since It weird how you lot say everyone has a subjective taste when DD performance is questioned. But when the ER4SR with 6db bass boost is given 5/5 suddenly everyone too quick to trip over each other to go "Well actually it a 1.2/5 cause screw you!". The same people who are suddenly claiming planar/electrostatic are endgame for their driver bass speed & overall detail which BA's already do?. lol

Like who cares about OE vs IEM?, The HD600 needs a 9db boost under 70Hz to match a stock ER4SR with a full seal anyways it distorts if force a 9db boost. No idea why you brought that up when I was meaning DD diaphragms ring like a loose drum when told to reproduce bass rich music, BA drivers use a stiff metal foil & planar/Estat move the whole diaphragm surface to overcome excursion limits which in turn stops the ringing that DD's suffer from. I've said this like 8 times It weird how I seem to have to repeat myself like as if I'm a school teacher.

Nov 6, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #74 of 103
Speakers are the best. That is how sound is heard in the real world.

Nov 6, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #75 of 103
Speakers are the best. That is how sound is heard in the real world.
A lot of my friends use over the head headphones at home. I wouldn't even consider it, speakers sound so much better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back