IEM for metal advice!
Oct 14, 2017 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

C_Lindbergh

Headphoneus Supremus
Budget - 400€, Obviously I'd rather pay less, but if its warranted I'd happily pay around 400 euros

Type of headphones: IEM, preferably with an android compatible control cable

Source: LG G6 with Quad DAC (Using Spotiy Premium/Tidal Hifi

Requirements for Isolation: Gonna use these everywhere outside, so good isolation is needed

Preferred tonal balance - Hmm not sure since im not a pro audiophile, but I guess focus on the treble/mids and not so much bass? Considering what kind of music i Listen to

Past headphones - Soundmagic E80C

Preferred Music - Metal, mostly Death, Melodic Death, Folk metal (with a lot of acustic instruments) and metalcore

Oct 14, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #2 of 7
Budget - 400€, Obviously I'd rather pay less, but if its warranted I'd happily pay around 400 euros

Type of headphones: IEM, preferably with an android compatible control cable

Source: LG G6 with Quad DAC (Using Spotiy Premium/Tidal Hifi

Requirements for Isolation: Gonna use these everywhere outside, so good isolation is needed

Preferred tonal balance - Hmm not sure since im not a pro audiophile, but I guess focus on the treble/mids and not so much bass? Considering what kind of music i Listen to

Past headphones - Soundmagic E80C

Preferred Music - Metal, mostly Death, Melodic Death, Folk metal (with a lot of acustic instruments) and metalcore

Maybe look into the Westone UM20 or Shure SE425

Oct 15, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #4 of 7
Ah, I've also been recommended Etymotic ER4SR and Brainwavz B400 by other people, so many choices... No idea what to go with.

You could decide based on ergonomics. As much as I like the sound of Etymotics they just stick out of my ears and even if I loop the cable over the ears I can't walk around without them moving. I prefer the Westone/Shure type shells, but now I'm more into the faux CIEM shells because if these can fit in the concha they spread out the friction rather than just concentrate most of it on the eartip.

Oct 15, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #5 of 7
Matter of interest what would be some good custom iems for metal. How are these made, do you have to send a company a mould of inside your ear? Sorry if these are silly questions

Oct 16, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #6 of 7
Matter of interest what would be some good custom iems for metal. How are these made, do you have to send a company a mould of inside your ear? Sorry if these are silly questions

If you're in the UK check out Cosmic Ears, and also Custom Art with regards to custom IEM's.

Universal models to look into that fit your budget:

Clear Tune VS-2 are excellent for that price range, as are the Oriveti New Primacy.

Oct 16, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #7 of 7

You go to an audiologist (ie the ear equivalent of an optometrist) and they make a mold of your ears, then they or you send that mold to the CIEM manufacturer. Some have partner audiologists, and some now use laser scanning instead of a mold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back