IEM for replacing Denon AH-D7000
Nov 14, 2012 at 12:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

drawingbreath

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone

Our office is about to move from separate rooms to an open plan environment; something no one is looking forward to. For the last year I have been using and appreciating my AHD7000's at work each day, but because sound isolation isn't the best I think now is the time to get some IEM's that meet the task.

Essentially I'm looking for something as close as possible to the Denons but without the price tag if possible. Sound isolation and comfort are also very important.

So, any pointers for someone who already gets teased in the office for spending too much on headphones? :)

P.S. Maybe there's a way to improve the sound isolation of these great cans that doesn't impede their quality? Somehow I doubt it, though.

Nov 16, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #2 of 9
Hi,

I would try dynamic IEMs, they sound more like big cans when it comes to soundstaging and phasetrash.
My favorites at the moment are the Sony EX1000, no IEM was that close to cans like Beyer T1, also the best IEM I ever heard.
A (clear) step down are the ie8 and all the competition ....

Things like UE IEMS and other BAs were pretty good in terms of isolation and fine dynamics, but never reached the homogenity and fun on the long run of good dynamic phones. Check it out, at least give them a try.

Nov 16, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
Wow. Are you saying that the Sony EX1000 are as good as a full-size £800 headphone? Now my interest is piqued.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

If you have the budget and would like explore the same similar type of sound but better quality.. you can do some research on AKG 3003i. To me this is the bigger brother of Ex1000, more sub bass, treble extension is airy and sound stage is really wide.. but cost alot more. All these without loosing the famous EX1000 signature sound, in fact it brings out even more.

Nov 16, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #5 of 9
I suspect the JVC fxz200 will.
To emphasize. It's a suspicion.
I own the D2Ks. They've been getting NO listening time since I got the mh1c and the xba-3.
With the Sony xba-3, I had to eq the subbass up by about 6db to achieve the sound I was looking for. (gotta love that denon subbass)
It is suspected that the fxz200 will be like the xba-3 but with a more jvc like tuning (which means closer to D7k).

At this point, I'm waiting for reviews/impressions/price drops on the fxz200 to make a final decision.
So I repeat, I SUSPECT they will meet your needs based on my experience with the D2k.

In the meantime, the eq'd Sony xba-3 is doing fine.

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #7 of 9
The JVC FX700, Sony EX1000+Zo2, Denon AH-C400 and GR07 are closer to D7000 with good detailed soundsignature and some meet the deep subbass like on FX700 compared to D7000 and if you add AMPs then many BA IEMs can produce deep sub bass you are looking for with clarity like UE900, Westone 4R offers.

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #8 of 9
You might also wait for the Aurisonics ASG-2, which will be released mid December. The ASG-1 already has phenomenal bass imo, and the ASG-2 is supposed to maintain that with enhanced clarity and details.

Nov 17, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #9 of 9
Just to build on my speculation, here's Currawong's post regarding the JVC fxz200s.

Quote:

JVC ☆BEST OF SHOW No. 1☆

Another brand with unique take on IEMs. They have two new Live Beat models coming, the HA-FXZ100 and FXZ200. They feature a special separate tweeter and woofer in aluminium enclosures inside the IEM. While the bass was strong on the 200 and the treble too recessed for me, I was impressed at how natural and spacious the sound was compared to most IEMs (including the Stax portable!) and how natural even percussion sounded. The overall sound was rather like a pair of their full-sized DX1000s inside an IEM. The other guys tried the 100s and reckoned the frequency response was better, so I will definitely have to give them a go once they are released. Still, their ability to overcome the main issues I've had with other IEMs, even vastly more expensive ones, impressed me very strongly, enough that it affected my perception of other products for the rest of the show, with even top-of-the-line amps and other equipment not impressing me as much. For that, I've given it my Best of Show award.

The part I bolded and underlined lends credence to my suspicion.
A comparison between the Denon D7000 and the DX1000 is here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/404515/jvc-dx1000-vs-denon-d7000-a-mini-review

Users who are viewing this thread

Back