IEM recommendation, help appreciated(no experience at all!!!)
Mar 14, 2014 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

grizzlybeast

My name is grizzlybeast and I'm an audioholic.
Hello All,

So just to vent a little frustration I have been around the block probably hoping for too much from Full sized cans. I am thinking of going iem for many reasons. I need portability, low leakage, great mids, and decent bass. I have only had one pair of IEM's that I like I actually would find it suitable. It just falls out of the ear all the time.

Dont laugh but the Sound Magic e10 would actually work for me if the thing was durable, comfortable, and could stay in my ears. 

Desires:
- minimal leakage at loud volumes
- beautiful, clear mids(lower and upper)
- slightly above neutral bass
- decent soundstage ( I dont know how that works with iems)
- DURABLE
- enough highs to keep the headphone from sounding veiled and congested
- not to hard to listen to for a long time
- Comfortable and wont fall out

BUDGET: <$330.00 USD

I was recommended the Senn ie800 but that is way over my budget and if I got that I couldnt get the he560.

Even a point in the right direction would suffice. I feel like a total noob all over again. I was going to get the NAD but it looks so funny on the head and I cant imagine taking it everywhere. 

Thanks for the help!

Mar 14, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #2 of 15
Need a budget IEM? Look here:

$28
VSonic GR99

$36
VSonic GR02 Bass Edition
$40

VSonic VC02
$44

Astrotec AM-90
$45

Xears Nature N3i
Bass Heavy

$65 ( $85 with Comply T-400 Foam Tips )
ViSang R03 / Brainwavz M2

$75
MEElectronics A151

Mar 14, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #3 of 15
  Need a budget IEM? Look here:

$28
VSonic GR99

$36
VSonic GR02 Bass Edition
$40

VSonic VC02
$44

Astrotec AM-90
$45

Xears Nature N3i
Bass Heavy

$65 ( $85 with Comply T-400 Foam Tips )
ViSang R03 / Brainwavz M2

$75
MEElectronics A151

cool so maybe I should look at some cheaper ones and upgrade later instead of spending 300 right away. I just wanted to make sure I got some really good quality.

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #4 of 15
Hi Grizzly,

I found joker's site to be very useful for this (still haven't decided if I want to try some more though).

http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone-list/

One important, overlooked category is "microphonics." I hate it when cables bear noise, and it's even worse with IEMs because we brush against the cable more frequently, so set the value to 4.5 of 5. I know that sounds extreme, but some of the ones rated even 4 failed me.

His reviews can be a little long but I noticed that the section toward the end called "Value" usually recaps the main points.

Mar 14, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #6 of 15
Following your criteria for headphones, maybe you should buy a gr06 for $63. Then look at $300 iems. The soundstage with IEM is pretty average (the Vsonic GR06 however have a decent one). The fit is over the ear, really comfortable for me (it have adjustable nozzles).

Mar 14, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #7 of 15
If you are a little base heavy, i suggest Monster turbine copper..... haters can hate, but its not a bad headphone at all. similiar is the senheiser ie80. also, westone w3r is a very good IEM.

But if you want to start out with a inexpensive pair, i suggest se215

Mar 14, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #9 of 15
Thanks so its pretty unanimous not to spend over 300 for one right away. I will be looking at fit a lot because I don't want them to fall out.

of course. Some people begin with IEM then they find it simply intruding to their canals (thats what she said)

btw, are you also in oregon? i go to school near portland

Mar 14, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #10 of 15
Thanks so its pretty unanimous not to spend over 300 for one right away. I will be looking at fit a lot because I don't want them to fall out.

if you want fit, i dont know any better than the Shure SE line. (except for personal molded)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back