If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 8, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #18,211 of 19,290
Happy ER4S user for many years. The original connectors are color coded Red (right) & Blue (left). It's very easy to tell which bud goes in which ear.

Recently bought the ER4SR and they are not color coded. There are only 2 tiny letters R & L. It's hard to see them and impossible in low light.

Don't have this issue with the old ER4S even in low light.

Anyone else have this issue? What clever way have you marked your bud so it's easier to identify right from left?
Hi RADI0HEAD.
I happened to have red & black heat shrink tubing in the perfect size.
Decided to add a small ring of red at the base of just the R earphone:
IMG_20221008_150359563.jpg

Gives both visual and tactile identification.

Oct 8, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #18,212 of 19,290
Hi RADI0HEAD.
I happened to have red & black heat shrink tubing in the perfect size.
Decided to add a small ring of red at the base of just the R earphone:

Gives both visual and tactile identification.

If you don't need tactile, another thing you can do is fill in the laser etch on the earpieces with blue and red Sharpie. If you decide you don't want it anymore, you it can be carefully wiped off with isopropyl alcohol.

IX0VtVz.jpg

Oct 8, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #18,213 of 19,290
If you don't need tactile, another thing you can do is fill in the laser etch on the earpieces with blue and red Sharpie. If you decide you don't want it anymore, you it can be carefully wiped off with isopropyl alcohol.

IX0VtVz.jpg

That's actually a cool idea and it looks cool too.

Oct 8, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #18,214 of 19,290
Thanks, this is valuable feedback and I appreciate you taking the time to write it. I'll discuss it with our team.

Thank you.

For what it's worth, I think that keeping the current new clear tip as a 'small' and introducing 'medium' and 'large' variants of the same material would be the best solution from a customer standpoint as a greater degree of granularity in sizing options would allow more people to get a best fit; as much as I lament their loss the frosted tips weren't perfect either.

And if you folks ever redesign your cables a more prominent tactile L/R indicator would be lovely, while I'm wishlisting. I appreciate how durable the ER-series cables have been for me over the years tho and hope you never change them much, thin pliable IEM cables are so very much nicer to use than the current trend of stiffer braided ones.

Oct 8, 2022 at 11:13 PM Post #18,215 of 19,290

IX0VtVz.jpg

this looks so cool it should be the default! :darthsmile:

on the other hand, it does more versatile because technically we can use any color we want using your tips..thanks! i would definitely try this on my unit

Oct 8, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #18,216 of 19,290
What I have done is tie a tiny (but not so tight it can never be undone or seems to damage the cord) knot near the splitter on the cord on the right side. Works great, easy tactile solution

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #18,217 of 19,290
Great ideas guys. Thanks!

Oct 9, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #18,218 of 19,290
So I tried to listen to my AKG N400nc true wireless buds today, and even after some EQ to get them to sound more similar to my ER4SR they just can’t compare at all. They sounded very “digital”. I don’t know how else to describe it.

I’ve always kind of had a problem switching between different headphones or in ears, but these ER4SR is making it especially hard to listen to anything else. I kind of always have gotten used to 1 headphone or pair of in ears and had trouble listening to anything else. I even prefer my ER4SR to my Focal Elear with Clear pads.

Everything just sounds so clean and clear and detailed with these that it’s just hard to enjoy anything else. My ears are totally used to the fit now too, especially with the newer triple flange tips.

Oct 11, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #18,220 of 19,290
Here's a bit of my experience with the triple flange tips.

I tried both the ER2SE and 2XR and I think I'll keep both. For my music both play slightly different strengths. I received first the 2XR which came with the CLEAR triple flange tips, and noticed sometimes music sounded too compressed, specially strings section in orchestral music. It was weird.
Anyway, I then received the 2SE and those came with the FROST triple flange tips, and there was no compress sensation in the music. I thought it was because of the SE being more clear and pro. But I then used the CLEAR tips on the 2SE and again, sounded compressed. So..

I discovered that the Clear tips being much softer were bending just enough to start blocking the sound inside my ear. This did not happened with the Frost ones since they are of a harder silicone (although of course less confortable). I think I'll try the gray ones (ER38-18) to see if i can get more comfort but without the issue with the softer ones.

Have any of you experienced something similar to my case?

Oct 11, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #18,221 of 19,290
Here's a bit of my experience with the triple flange tips.

I tried both the ER2SE and 2XR and I think I'll keep both. For my music both play slightly different strengths. I received first the 2XR which came with the CLEAR triple flange tips, and noticed sometimes music sounded too compressed, specially strings section in orchestral music. It was weird.
Anyway, I then received the 2SE and those came with the FROST triple flange tips, and there was no compress sensation in the music. I thought it was because of the SE being more clear and pro. But I then used the CLEAR tips on the 2SE and again, sounded compressed. So..

I discovered that the Clear tips being much softer were bending just enough to start blocking the sound inside my ear. This did not happened with the Frost ones since they are of a harder silicone (although of course less confortable). I think I'll try the gray ones (ER38-18) to see if i can get more comfort but without the issue with the softer ones.

Have any of you experienced something similar to my case?
Never had this happen. The frosted ones do get softer after a bit of use. The problem is going to be that you can no longer buy the frosted ones.

Oct 11, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #18,223 of 19,290
And what about the L grey ones? Seems to be softer than the Frosted but maybe not as soft as the Clear ones. Have you tried those?
For the triple flange tips I’ve only tried the frosted and the new clear ones. I like the clear ones, but I also liked the frosted ones.

Oct 11, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #18,224 of 19,290
And what about the L grey ones? Seems to be softer than the Frosted but maybe not as soft as the Clear ones. Have you tried those?
The gray ones will probably be too big if the frosted ones fit you well. I could live with the big ones, they don't get crushed, but you don't get the same feeling of isolating pressure when you use something too large.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back