If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jun 11, 2018 at 5:22 AM Post #11,926 of 19,256
I'm going to pull the trigger on the er4sr or xr in the next few weeks but like most I'm debating between the two , I own re600v2 and for me the bass quantity on these is more than adequate which would you guys recommend? I was leaning towards xr but after reading here a bit maybe Sr more suited for me.

I was in your dilemma last week and plumped for the xr, not disappointed so far.

Jun 11, 2018 at 5:51 AM Post #11,928 of 19,256
Initially I was looking at xr , I'm no bass head though and I read a few posts saying after time the xr sounded to bassy to some.
Is the bass on the Sr non existent?

I bought rhe ER4XR first because I'm worried that the other etys won't have enough bass, but recently i acquired the ER4PT, and to me the bass still have good and enjoyable amount to it. And strangely i even favors it to the ER4XR in some occasions, as the PT seems to have more snap to the music, and also a bit clearer on the mids

Jun 11, 2018 at 6:05 AM Post #11,929 of 19,256
I bought rhe ER4XR first because I'm worried that the other etys won't have enough bass, but recently i acquired the ER4PT, and to me the bass still have good and enjoyable amount to it. And strangely i even favors it to the ER4XR in some occasions, as the PT seems to have more snap to the music, and also a bit clearer on the mids

Thanks this is something I'm coming across in posts....i like a slight elevation but if the Sr are producing enough natural bass and it doesn't sound non existent then I think they will be fine for me.
Still debating but I may order sr first and if not to my taste return for xr.
Or possibly the other way round dilemmas.

Jun 11, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #11,930 of 19,256
Thanks this is something I'm coming across in posts....i like a slight elevation but if the Sr are producing enough natural bass and it doesn't sound non existent then I think they will be fine for me.
Still debating but I may order sr first and if not to my taste return for xr.
Or possibly the other way round dilemmas.

I’m no bass head but I think my ER4XR has too much bass sometimes. I had to put on a pure silver cable to tame the bass.

I haven’t listened to the SR yet but looking back, I might have gotten the SR instead. TheXR had more bass than what I was expecting.

Jun 11, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #11,931 of 19,256
I’m no bass head but I think my ER4XR has too much bass sometimes. I had to put on a pure silver cable to tame the bass.

I haven’t listened to the SR yet but looking back, I might have gotten the SR instead. TheXR had more bass than what I was expecting.

Thanks ...I think I will try the Sr first as your findings mirror a lot of others .

Jun 12, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #11,932 of 19,256
Why choose between the ER4XR and SR when you can have both? :)

I liked my ER4XR so much I managed to buy a ER4SR on discount. I’ll compare the differences when I get a chance.

I’m a solid believer in Etymotic products :smile_phones: I’ve tested things from the $1000-2000 range and I still think the ER4 are well-researched, designed, executed and made. Great customer service too.

Jun 12, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #11,933 of 19,256

I liked my ER4XR so much I managed to buy a ER4SR on discount. I’ll compare the differences when I get a chance.

I’m a solid believer in Etymotic products :smile_phones: I’ve tested things from the $1000-2000 range and I still think the ER4 are well-researched, designed, executed and made. Great customer service too.

I’m doing the same, loving the xr and will probably buy a pair of sr as well.

Jun 12, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #11,934 of 19,256

I’m doing the same, loving the xr and will probably buy a pair of sr as well.

Well I'm going to still go with the xr (been reading up more) in about 2 weeks time, maybe I will get the Sr after.
I have read so much over the years about the etys but never tried them realy looking forward to finally trying a pair at long last.

Jun 12, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #11,935 of 19,256
Well I'm going to still go with the xr (been reading up more) in about 2 weeks time, maybe I will get the Sr after.
I have read so much over the years about the etys but never tried them realy looking forward to finally trying a pair at long last.

Get ready for super isolation, details and vocals you’ve never heard before.

I also recommend Shure EABKF1 for comfort.

Jun 12, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #11,936 of 19,256
To be honest, if you like mid-forward sound the way Etymotic does, I think that Etymotic is one of the best who does this type of sound. The detail they have does stand well when compared to much more expensive IEMs. Again, that very specific tuning is their thing, who likes it, will love it and Etymotic :)

Jun 12, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #11,937 of 19,256
To be honest, if you like mid-forward sound the way Etymotic does, I think that Etymotic is one of the best who does this type of sound. The detail they have does stand well when compared to much more expensive IEMs. Again, that very specific tuning is their thing, who likes it, will love it and Etymotic :)

I have a positive feeling about this buy that I'm going to be one of the lovers of this iem; I have read amazing reviews/ posts and others that hate it
It was the same with the re600v2 that I own and I realy like it.
One thing I would like to ask you all is about the fit, I have very small ears and ear canals could this be a problem?

Jun 12, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #11,938 of 19,256
I have a positive feeling about this buy that I'm going to be one of the lovers of this iem; I have read amazing reviews/ posts and others that hate it
It was the same with the re600v2 that I own and I realy like it.
One thing I would like to ask you all is about the fit, I have very small ears and ear canals could this be a problem?

I actually find ER4s pretty good for small ears because of its narrow nozzle.

You will experience discomfort on the first couple of weeks of use though because its insertion is very deep. I've had mine for 3-4 months and I didn't notice it after like 2 weeks.

Again, the Shure tips I mentioned are very comfortable but if you can make the triple fangle stock tips work, they have the best "Etymotic" sound imo.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #11,939 of 19,256
Just got the e3xr. Will write back soon. Does anybody have an extra pair of small shure olives they can snail mail me? I can send a medium pair if you'd like. I just want to try a different size. Also, has anybody modded other mmcx cables to fit?

Jun 12, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #11,940 of 19,256

Hi. I highly recommend you to try er4b with tsx100 small size tip. It's like er4s but with better flatter frequency response, especially in the highest range. The bass is also improved a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back