iFi Audio nano iDSD Black Label (TOUR details - PAGE 12 / TOUR participants - page 26 post #386)
Feb 7, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #631 of 1,008
bu

but din't the mojo a non-chip dac that has a REALLY LOW latency in the nanoseconds? Isn't that supposed to be better than the Micro BL? i heard the MQA was supposed to reduce latency to the low microseconds, so to the mojo MQA is USELESS. and also the mojo has a higher clock speed at 200MHz.

I highly doubt any of those things matter as much as it sounds in the end :)

Latency is relative to something, I am confused what you mean by low latency, most audio products try to have low jitter and such.

If you're talking about Mojo's Fir Filter, Tap Filter and fancy processing / reconstruction it does, iDSD BL Micro also has filters, with 3 settings, and I think that if you like the sound like on Mojo, you can engage iDSD Micro BL's filter to the max, and it should provide a finely filtered sound, this being the Standard setting.

I also appreciate that iFi offers a very pure option in its filtering settings, which is the bit-perfect mode.

It would be best to get a listen with both if you can, so you don't fall to pure marketing there, how it sounds is all that matters, and especially how it sounds to you and how you feel about each.

This being said, I could barely connect Mojo to anything I had, it refused my phone and my DAPs via the micro USB connection, while iDSD BL both Nano and Micro worked flawlessly with everything I threw at them... Since Chord doesn't support Romania and doesn't have demo units with any official sellers here, I'm pretty much stuck on having this impression :smile_phones:

Feb 7, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #632 of 1,008
I just received the iDSD BL, at the end of last week and am comparing it to the Mojo.

Feb 7, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #633 of 1,008
I compared the two in my review and basically:

For the price the Nano is the best thing on the market.

It sounds different to the Mojo. And IMO not AS GOOD, but it sounds a LOT better than the DFR.

If you want MQA dont hesitate. It's the best option for that out there anywhere near the price.

Feb 7, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #635 of 1,008
Feb 7, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #636 of 1,008
My problem with the Nano is the soundstage; on many of my classical tracks, it sounded like everything was coming out of the left channel. The soundstage is completely different from any other DAC/amp I've used and not in a good way. I can tell that in all other areas, the sound quality is better than the DFR (it had much more bass than the DFR) and it sounds more like my Schiit stack, but the overly-wide soundstage didn't cut it for me.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #637 of 1,008
My problem with the Nano is the soundstage; on many of my classical tracks, it sounded like everything was coming out of the left channel. The soundstage is completely different from any other DAC/amp I've used and not in a good way. I can tell that in all other areas, the sound quality is better than the DFR (it had much more bass than the DFR) and it sounds more like my Schiit stack, but the overly-wide soundstage didn't cut it for me.
I too found it weird... but I'd wager a lot of people would actually think it's cool...

Feb 7, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #638 of 1,008
I mean, I'm not trying to be a "rube", but my general feeling is that if there's one DAC that has a completely different soundstage from all the others of its class, the issue isn't with all the others. To me I would just get to the point where listening to music with the Nano was fatiguing because of the imbalance that I perceived. I read some reviews that indicated the soundstage sounded "artificial". I think that's a good way to describe it. I'm sure it's great for some. I'm just a little disappointed because I wanted to like this DAC so badly, but I couldn't because of that.

Feb 7, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #639 of 1,008
I mean, I'm not trying to be a "rube", but my general feeling is that if there's one DAC that has a completely different soundstage from all the others of its class, the issue isn't with all the others. To me I would just get to the point where listening to music with the Nano was fatiguing because of the imbalance that I perceived. I read some reviews that indicated the soundstage sounded "artificial". I think that's a good way to describe it. I'm sure it's great for some. I'm just a little disappointed because I wanted to like this DAC so badly, but I couldn't because of that.
I said it as artificial sounding in my review... but I also said that a lot of people are looking for a massive soundstage and this has that... which is done in a kind of marmite way... but... if you went from just a phoent to that + MQA you'd probably think all music suddenly sounded astonishing...

I guess artificial and bad aren't the same thing to me... it just comes down to taste.... It's like a "fun" thing...

Feb 8, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #641 of 1,008
From most that I’ve seen so far, it is the opposite way round.

The Nano BL is a very capable device for the price, but Mojo rivals with the Micro BL, not the Nano. Some people prefer the Micro BL over Mojo, some prefer the Mojo over the Micro BL. (I have experience with all three DACs.) The Nano BL comes surprisingly close for the price, but it is not quite on Micro BL/Mojo level.

Feb 9, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #643 of 1,008
does this amp/dac not do 192khz mqa tidal masters?? i read that it does online, but i can only seem to get 24/96..the main reason of me buying this was for the mqa comparability.

It does but it is not a full decoder, the initial "unfold" has to be done in the PC/DAP. Also the MQA support was not added until a later F/W version so you may need to update to the latest from the iFi website.

Feb 9, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #645 of 1,008
I'll try it one more time..in firmware it says I have the non C firmware. When the website states the revised firmware is the C version. Maybe that is why? Weird though. I did click the correct one when updating. Let's hope that solves it, although the led turns cyan which is a feature of the latest firmware ...so What.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back