iFi Audio nano iDSD Black Label (TOUR details - PAGE 12 / TOUR participants - page 26 post #386)
Nov 24, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #361 of 1,008
[QUOTE ="SteveOliver, post: 13869265, member: 435279"]Yes, that works for me, I should have mentioned Exclusive mode needs to be on too.

[/QUOTE]

Exclusive mode checked, cable unplugged - plugged.
Still green...

@iFi audio whats your suggestion, please?

mqa.jpg
mqa (1).jpg

Nov 24, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #362 of 1,008
[QUOTE ="SteveOliver, post: 13869265, member: 435279"]Yes, that works for me, I should have mentioned Exclusive mode needs to be on too.

Exclusive mode checked, cable unplugged - plugged.
Still green...

@iFi audio whats your suggestion, please?

[/QUOTE]

Please tell us what firmware is on your device.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 24, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #364 of 1,008
Thanks @iFi audio !
Just visited iFis website. Suppose I have to update the FW to 5.3C.... :) . Always forget to check firmware on these digital gadgets.
Ok , I was socialized on LPs and Cassettes...

Sure, you're welcome.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 24, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #366 of 1,008
I'm trying to wrap my head around this exciting new device. I own a iFi nano iDSD, iPhone, Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear, Mac, and Audirvana+. Like everyone else, I'm subscribed to Tidal Hifi, which is one of the main ways I listen to music (including the very exciting ECM catalog now available). When I listen to Tidal through my Mac, then A+ is doing all of the decoding and rendering for MQA, so I don't see an inherent advantage for the nano iDSD BL. If I just have my iPhone+iDSD BL, then we currently can't use the MQA as it is not supported by the iPhone Tidal app.

The first question is whether we could reasonably expect that MQA *will* become available on the iPhone Tidal app in the relatively near future. In this case, this new iDSD BL would be one of the few truly portable MQA solutions. I'm not sure if I understand the difference between decoding and rendering in this case.

Otherwise, I guess it comes down to how much better this new nano iDSD is better than the previous generation. The two gain stages should help with more sensitive headphones like the Momentums. The built-in camera kit removes some extraneous cords. But it loses SPIDF and RCA outs.

Are there any other differences that I'm missing?
sound quality. this one sounds much better than its predecessor

Nov 24, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #367 of 1,008
I'm trying to wrap my head around this exciting new device. I own a iFi nano iDSD, iPhone, Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear, Mac, and Audirvana+. Like everyone else, I'm subscribed to Tidal Hifi, which is one of the main ways I listen to music (including the very exciting ECM catalog now available). When I listen to Tidal through my Mac, then A+ is doing all of the decoding and rendering for MQA, so I don't see an inherent advantage for the nano iDSD BL. If I just have my iPhone+iDSD BL, then we currently can't use the MQA as it is not supported by the iPhone Tidal app.

The first question is whether we could reasonably expect that MQA *will* become available on the iPhone Tidal app in the relatively near future. In this case, this new iDSD BL would be one of the few truly portable MQA solutions. I'm not sure if I understand the difference between decoding and rendering in this case.

Otherwise, I guess it comes down to how much better this new nano iDSD is better than the previous generation. The two gain stages should help with more sensitive headphones like the Momentums. The built-in camera kit removes some extraneous cords. But it loses SPIDF and RCA outs.

I am dipping my toe into all of this also, and others have commented, so this is dangerous territory as a noob. However, since I'm a noob, and this is a ridiculously complicated topic (it seems not just for me and you, but for people that have been around here A LONG time) I'll share what I've found, and where there are differences to what I've found, others' replies, and your impression.

I'm trying to wrap my head around this exciting new device. When I listen to Tidal through my Mac, then A+ is doing all of the decoding and rendering for MQA, so I don't see an inherent advantage for the nano iDSD BL.

I don't think A+ is getting you all the way there. It may (or may not) be unpacking back to the master depending on the master, and I do not think it renders. Also, it seems that whomever controls MQA won't let the full "unpacking" past 24/96 take place (if it's needed) unless there's an MQA certified device in the chain. The best (so far) visual depictions I've seen for how MQA works are https://www.audiostream.com/content/mqa-decoding-explained and http://audiophileheaven.blogspot.hk for the second link it's the blog from 02.09.2017 "The Digital Music Revolution" If it's accurate, then to me, it's a great visual sequence, and I FINALLY get it. Edited to Add - If you have time - click the link at the bottom of the blog to the John H. Darko article for more detail.

I think that with the BL or other MQA hardware devices you will get the full MQA experience. There are tons of words out there "decoding", "rendering", "unpacking" "unfolding".. unpacking/unfolding = decoding. Regardless of the terms, the nuggets I have taken away are software (Tidal itself and A+) will get you some of the way there when using a "Non-MQA certified" piece of hardware downstream. They'll do all of the unpacking in some cases, but not all, and neither render (I don't think). The only way to get all the way there is through MQA hardware. I don't think there are any software renderers. Some hardware does it all and could take a straight MQA file and rock it straight out through decoding + rendering (Meridian Explorer as an example) while some hardware (like our Nano BL friend) needs some software in front of it to do a piece of the lifting to get all the way there => software decoder + hardware renderer.

I'll leave the "Is MQA good" to the dumpster fires in other threads.

I don't know, but here's to hoping! Hopefully that second link helped with the decode vs. render part. The other part is whether they'll have the app do any unpacking/decoding and to what extent (there can be multiple "folds") That seems to be (relatively being the key word) software/hardware intensive, and my guess is that they'd need to write it for a variety of devices. Apple is a pain, but it's a controlled environment with lots of adopters, so if they do it - my guess is that Apple would be first. Android-based systems have so many chipsets and operating systems to deal with, so if it were me, I'd do it last.

Also, if they release MQA through an app interface w.o unpack/decode (Tidal calls it MQA passthrough) then you'd still need a full hardware option like the Explorer or some other software option to do the decode/unpack. At least that's what I think today with what I have to work with. Too much to absorb (for me).

Someone has directly mentioned sound quality (I'm assuming directly from the new hardware components all other things remaining equal). Also, the area I am particularly interested in is the new S-balanced output. One set of in-ears that I have (using the current DAC / AMP I have) sound FAR better using balanced. I've used information found here and elsewhere to speculate as to why (reduced crosstalk) and asked the forum (and iFi) if my thoughts were reasonable, and I haven't gotten a reply yet. However, iFi are putting some marketing behind it, so it must be important to them. I'll know when I listen.

My personal hope is that someday we'll get a mobile app with the software unpack/decode (for devices that can handle it) at least up to 24/96 and that this little beauty will (render) take care of the rest along with playing nicely with my in-ears with the combo IEMatch / S-Balanced. Until then, I'm anxious to check it out through my iMac.

Back to screaming at my computer and trying to get HDR to work properly on Windows....

To all that celebrate - I hope you and yours had a wonderful Thanksgiving

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #368 of 1,008
The iDAC2 is superb and should be paired with a micro iCAN (or micro iCAN SE if you need more power). Add an iPurifier2 and you might wonder why you thought you needed MQA.

Well - I just got back from the store, and I wound up with EXACTLY the combo you recommended iDAC2 + iCAN SE + iPurifier2 for my house / MacBook set up to use with the Mezze's. I did not need the power of the SE; that became immediately clear. But... they did not have a regular iCAN.

I also got the Micro DSD BL to use with my in-ears all the time and travel with the Mezze's.
With the A&K in-ears - iEMatch + the Power Mode works great. SILENT at top volume (nothing playing) and a usable volume range vs. iCAN + iDAC with still (albeit very low) audible hiss at top volume with nothing playing, and I can't go past ~9 o'clock and no way to 10 on any track. The store was solely geared to home audio, and had no headphones, so I'm glad I drug everything (including my MacBook) with me. I like to use exactly the things i am working with when I audition whenever possible. Honestly, I could not hear any difference with the iPurifier, but my Mac was running strictly on battery. I also have no idea if when I travel it will benefit when I'm plugged into the "dirty" power in some locations. I'm also curious to see if it helps with my desktop PC a bit more vs. the MacBook or when the Mac is plugged in.

They didn't have a nano BL for me to play with, but if i ever get my hands on one, I'd like to try it out strictly for short commutes. Now, here's to hoping that future firmware will allow MQA rendering with the iDAC2 and the Micro BL. (Crossing fingers). To be fair, I've never heard an MQA file rendered, but I'd very much like to have the ability to do so and to see if that along with the extra unpacking (if applicable) improve anything.

Can't thank you enough (and the rest of the head-fier's) for the advice.

Side note - I did some VERY rough A/B testing with the iDSD BL and my Sony PHA-2A using single ended on both with both the Mezze's and my A&K in-ears. Overall, it was inconclusive.

Head-fi team - I'd still love to try the nano BL on the tour :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #370 of 1,008
Well - I just got back from the store, and I wound up with EXACTLY the combo you recommended iDAC2 + iCAN SE + iPurifier2 for my house / MacBook set up to use with the Mezze's. I did not need the power of the SE; that became immediately clear. But... they did not have a regular iCAN.

I also got the Micro DSD BL to use with my in-ears all the time and travel with the Mezze's.
With the A&K in-ears - iEMatch + the Power Mode works great. SILENT at top volume (nothing playing) and a usable volume range vs. iCAN + iDAC with still (albeit very low) audible hiss at top volume with nothing playing, and I can't go past ~9 o'clock and no way to 10 on any track. The store was solely geared to home audio, and had no headphones, so I'm glad I drug everything (including my MacBook) with me. I like to use exactly the things i am working with when I audition whenever possible. Honestly, I could not hear any difference with the iPurifier, but my Mac was running strictly on battery. I also have no idea if when I travel it will benefit when I'm plugged into the "dirty" power in some locations. I'm also curious to see if it helps with my desktop PC a bit more vs. the MacBook or when the Mac is plugged in.

They didn't have a nano BL for me to play with, but if i ever get my hands on one, I'd like to try it out strictly for short commutes. Now, here's to hoping that future firmware will allow MQA rendering with the iDAC2 and the Micro BL. (Crossing fingers). To be fair, I've never heard an MQA file rendered, but I'd very much like to have the ability to do so and to see if that along with the extra unpacking (if applicable) improve anything.

Side note - I did some VERY rough A/B testing with the iDSD BL and my Sony PHA-2A using single ended on both with both the Mezze's and my A&K in-ears. Overall, it was inconclusive.

They all need break-in including iPurifier2 and they all sound better after a half-hour's warm up, again including iPurifier2.

Nov 25, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #371 of 1,008

We're happy when you're happy :)

As for the nano BL tour, have you sent an e-mail to the address we provided in the tour description?

Nov 25, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #372 of 1,008
Upgraded to the latest 5.3C firmware a few days ago and everything was working fine. Including LED and such. Suddenly this morning audio won’t play anymore. Tried reverting to the stock firmware and audio was fine again. When I upgraded again it stopped working again. :frowning2:

Nov 25, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #373 of 1,008
When will we learn who will be receiving the Tour IDSD Nano BL, and in what sequential order?

Nov 26, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #375 of 1,008
We're happy when you're happy :)

As for the nano BL tour, have you sent an e-mail to the address we provided in the tour description?

Yes, I did. Thanks!

I am very happy. The Micro iDSD BL pairs very well with my in-ears on ECO Power / High-Sensitivity. The iDAC2 on its own w/o the iCAN SE is pretty sweet too. I haven't really done any critical listening, but so far, so very good.

The iCAN SE is not getting much love yet. I'm learning along the way. I set the gain to 0db, and it's now usable with the in-ears along with the Mezze's, which is great. I'm fighting a hum, generally poor sound (compared to the experience in the shop) and other messiness though. I must have terrible electrical, but it may be normal, who knows. I can hear (what I think is) my neighbor's TV through the unit, and when I touch the unit (particularly the 3D switch), it REALLY hums. Until that gets sorted, it's not getting any use. I just got a speedy reply from your CS team to try a "Groundhog" due to a missing ground. If you're willing - are there other solutions to try or just the Groundhog? I looked at the manual, and I have no idea how to use it, and it seems that if all I need is a ground that there would be a simpler solution. It's becoming painfully clear that I should never assume simple solutions exist :) Isn't there a way to ground the iCAN SE itself? I want to show it some love, but another 380 HKD to just ground it (why didn't it come with a 3 prong grounded power supply?) seems like overkill. If I'm oversimplifying or just plain wrong - well, that's nothing new.

-Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back