iFi Hip Dac 3
Oct 11, 2023 at 9:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

The legacy continues.​

Meet the hip-dac 3 — a portable hi-res DAC/headphone amp, now in Titanium Shadow with more versatility.
Now, our battery-powered portable hi-res DAC/headphone amp is adorned in the Titanium Shadow hue, exuding timeless elegance with a touch of modern sophistication. The transformation extends beyond aesthetics. The hip-dac 3’s sleek Aluminium case houses new features, tailored to elevate your audio experience.

Two USB-C ports simplify your cable management: one for audio and the other for charging. A switch on the underside activates iFi’s iEMatch technology, which is optimized for high-sensitivity headphones and earphones, making it especially beneficial for your in-ear monitors (IEMs).

Inside, the device boasts circuit enhancements, including new metal film capacitors for a better frequency response. Additionally, an updated version of iFi’s GMT circuitry, coupled with a new crystal oscillator, further reduces phase noise, delivering a purer sound to you.

Shop Now https://www.moon-audio.com/hip-dac-3.html

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Oct 25, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #3 of 11
Does anybody know if there is a case or strap kit to keep the hip dac and iphone together like the strap kit that comes with the Fiio Q3 MQA?

Dec 22, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #5 of 11
iFi hip-dac3 - iPhone 14 - Sony MDR-MV1.jpg

I received my iFi hip-dac3 today from Amazon. This DAC/amp is smaller than I expected. It has a smaller footprint than my iPhone 14 Plus, which makes it highly portable. So far, I am really enjoying this DAC/amp. Compared to the Sonic Unity Encore mDSD USB dongle DAC/amp that is based on an ESS DAC chip, this is smoother, more detailed with a larger soundstage. The bass is deeper, more articulate, and punchy, and I am not using the XBASS feature with my Sony MDR-MV1 open back studio monitors. The amp provides greater headroom and doesn't have the mid-high sibilance that I heard with the Sonic Unity Encore mDSD DAC/amp.

It came with the Lightning-to-USB-C OTG cable shown in the photograph. I did not know that this was included and was prepared to use a clunky Apple Lightning-to-USB-A iOS photo adapter, so this was a welcome surprise. Had I known this was included, I would not have purchased a Linsoul DDHiFi MFI06L Lightning-to-USB-C OTG cable from Shenzhen Audio--oh well. For a headphone cable, I am currently using a single-ended Sony MUC-S12SM1 cable terminated at the amp end with a 3.5mm TRS connector. I have a balanced Sony MUC-S12SB1 cable terminated at the amp end with a 4.4mm TRRS connector, so I can take advantage of the iFi hip-dac3's balanced output. This is a Sony headphone cable engineered with a Kimber Kable 8-braid stranded Copper construction.

After a lot of research on portable personal hifi solutions, I settled on using the iFi hip-dac3 with my iPhone to drive my Sony MDR-MV1 headphones. I travel a lot for my job, and music listening is therapeutic for me, so it keeps in a good mental state throughout the week. I had entertained getting a higher end Sony DAP like the Sony NW-ZX707 Walkman, but I try to travel as light as possible: one carry-on and my backpack, and my iPhone is a necessity, so then I focused on a DAC/amp. I was very close to pulling the trigger on a Chord Mojo 2 DAC/amp, but I kept running into videos and Web forum posts about the random white noise problems with iOS Lightning connections. Considering the cost of the Chord Mojo 2, I just thought I could risk damaging my Sony's and my ears. Then what? I looked into the iFi Gryphon DSD as an alternative, but it's a bit larger than I would prefer, so then I researched the iFi hip-dac3, and settled on that. I appreciate good, efficient industrial design, and the iFi hip-dac series of DAC/amps check that box for me. Besides, the hip-dac3's reasonable price leaves me with funds to invest in more music (love vinyl) and other audio toys like a nice Miter leather case to protect the hip-dac3.

Dec 22, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #6 of 11
I am having a lot of problems with my hip dac 3. On my iPhone the music randomly stops and I need to power off and on for it to work again. This can happen once in a couple of hours or 5 times within 10 minutes. My 2021 iPad pro doesn’t recognize the hip dac at all. Set my iPad to default settings and installed them as a new device so not a restore. Tried it with only the music app installed but same problem On both devices. Contacted Apple, took me 10 minutes to explain what a dac was and why I need one. They did a remote checkup and concluded both devices were ok while I have the same problems with my Fiio Q3 MQA! (iPad does recognize Q3 but on iPhone music also randomly stops!). Now they are asking if the package of both the Fiio and hip dac have the made for Apple logo 😕
Ifi and Fiio claim there devices were tested with iPad and iPhone so it is not there problem. Apple says it is because made for Apple logo is missing. I don’t know what to do. BTW I also several times did a reset on the Fiio as well as the hip dac.

Dec 22, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #7 of 11
I am having a lot of problems with my hip dac 3. On my iPhone the music randomly stops and I need to power off and on for it to work again. This can happen once in a couple of hours or 5 times within 10 minutes. My 2021 iPad pro doesn’t recognize the hip dac at all. Set my iPad to default settings and installed them as a new device so not a restore. Tried it with only the music app installed but same problem On both devices. Contacted Apple, took me 10 minutes to explain what a dac was and why I need one. They did a remote checkup and concluded both devices were ok while I have the same problems with my Fiio Q3 MQA! (iPad does recognize Q3 but on iPhone music also randomly stops!). Now they are asking if the package of both the Fiio and hip dac have the made for Apple logo 😕
Ifi and Fiio claim there devices were tested with iPad and iPhone so it is not there problem. Apple says it is because made for Apple logo is missing. I don’t know what to do. BTW I also several times did a reset on the Fiio as well as the hip dac.
What version of iOS and which iPhone and iPad models are you running?

Dec 22, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #8 of 11
iOS 17.2.1 iPhone 14 Pro Max and 2021 12.9 iPad Pro.
Same problem with my Fiio Q3. The Q3 worked perfectly on my iPhone 12 Pro Max from January until May when I got the 14. First thought it was the Q3 which under warranty was replaced with a new one. Still problems. Then finally 2 weeks ago I got the hip dac 3. Big was my surprise it had had the same problem!

Dec 22, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #9 of 11
iOS 17.2.1 iPhone 14 Pro Max and 2021 12.9 iPad Pro.
Same problem with my Fiio Q3. The Q3 worked perfectly on my iPhone 12 Pro Max from January until May when I got the 14. First thought it was the Q3 which under warranty was replaced with a new one. Still problems. Then finally 2 weeks ago I got the hip dac 3. Big was my surprise it had had the same problem!
Not sure what to tell you. I’ve been playing Tidal through my iPhone 14 Plus with the hip-dac3 and the iFi-supplied Lightning-to-USB-C OTG cable, and I haven’t had any problems. Hopefully, you’ve been making all connections with the iOS devices and hip-dac powered off.

Dec 22, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #10 of 11
Not sure what to tell you. I’ve been playing Tidal through my iPhone 14 Plus with the hip-dac3 and the iFi-supplied Lightning-to-USB-C OTG cable, and I haven’t had any problems. Hopefully, you’ve been making all connections with the iOS devices and hip-dac powered off.
Yes I did.
Tomorrow Apple support calls. Problem must be the iPhone because it affects 2 different dac’s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back