iGrado or PMX-100 for jogging and gym use?
Mar 16, 2009 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ear8dmg

500+ Head-Fier
I'm getting a little tired or using IEMs for the excercise. Usually tend to have them pop out too often.

I used to own a pair of Sony street style headphones over 10 years ago and seem to remember that they held in place pretty well. Much to my surprise, the wife asked how much it would be to get a similar pair. Not often I get approval from the other half for headphones.

Had a quick look around and I'm wondering about getting a set of iGrados. Don't have any open phones at the moment and fancy getting something to give me a taste of the Grado house style (as I only ever tried a set of SR-60s once in my pre-audiophile days). I also have heard good things about the Sennheiser PMX-100s. Would prefer open for jogging from a safety point of view.

So would anyone like to comment on these? Any other suggestions?

Edit: The search function yielded this: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/igrado-review-246208/
So far leaning in the direction of the iGrados.

Mar 16, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #4 of 10
if u dont mind having sound leaked in like crazy at the gym go ahead. Both street style would secure very nicely.

Mar 17, 2009 at 9:44 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ive never seen anyone wear headphones for gym/jogging... that's just not practical at all..

lol. My gym sells headphones (pretty poor ones tbh). All the cardio machines are fitted with a tft monitor and headphone socket so you can watch TV.

Short of taping earbuds to my head, there is no way I'll be able to get them to stay in while jogging. As I said, I've already used some open street style cans for the same usage. I assume there's nothing to stop me removing the iGrado or PMX100 pads and giving them a wash occasionally?

Edit: I won't only be using them for the gym. I'm lacking any open headphones at all at the moment.

Mar 17, 2009 at 10:48 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ear8dmg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Edit: I won't only be using them for the gym. I'm lacking any open headphones at all at the moment.

If that's the case I'd go for the igrado's. No doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they use the same drivers as the SR60's which are award winning phones in their respective price bracket.

I would caveat the above by saying that the clamping effect of neckband is quite a tight fit (on my huge noggin at least) and if you wear glasses also? the over ear design might cause issue.

Mar 17, 2009 at 10:55 AM Post #7 of 10
Think it's going to be iGrados. I could potentially pick up a set tonight if I leave work early enough and the shop I've got in mind has them in stock.

Mar 17, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #8 of 10
I've used the PX-100s for the gym for years (not PMX). I'm a gym nut myself. I do really intense running for 30 minutes and sweat like a pig and then row for about 15 minutes. Then I do about 2 hours of weights the next day. I alternate and usually take a break once or twice every 2 weeks or so. Been doing this for 3 years with the PX100s.

They have served me well, however, the foams get stained and take on this grayish hue, from the sweating. The SQ is still good and they function very well. I'm assuming the PMX-100s must be of the same quality but can't say for certain.

Mar 17, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #9 of 10
much as i love the igardo's, the best headphones for gym use (not sonically) are the Koss porta or sporta headphones

Mar 21, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #10 of 10
After all this, I discovered a little rubber ring on my s-Jays. If I wear them over ear and tighten it around the back of my head, they stay on my head while running. Turns out they seem fine for the gym.

I may still consider something else like the iGrados when I'm doing more jogging outside and will need something that doesn't isolate so much. Borrowing a friend's set of HD580s has meant I don't really need another set of open headphones for home use at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back