I'm in a prog rock mood.
Oct 6, 2003 at 11:02 PM Post #2 of 36
Tull-Thick as a brick and Aqualung, for sure
Crimson-most people will tell you the later stuff, but I still enjoy Court of the Crimson King and Wake of Poseidon.

Oct 6, 2003 at 11:18 PM Post #3 of 36
Jethro Tull's Minstrel in the Gallery is really good.

Oct 7, 2003 at 12:55 AM Post #4 of 36
Well here are my opinions on these the best of, of each of these bands

Genesis- I would have to go with Selling England by the Pound.
I feel that this is the pinnacle of the Gabriel era of this band, it has some of there best songs which are Dancing with the Moonlit Knight, and Firth of Fifth. Following close behind would have to be Foxtrot which has there best song of this era Supper's Ready, which is a 20 min+ tour de force.

Rush- There best album in my opinion would have to be either Hemispheres, which is the best of the pre syth era, or Moving Pictures which has some outstanding tracks on it.

King Crimson’s best work is really hard to determine, they have gone to so many members over the last 35 years that each album is different. To start get there first album In the Court of the Crimson King, this is really classic prog with lots of Mellotrons and such. If you’re into a heavier, almost metal version of the band check out Red. If you’re in the mood for a more pop orientated prog album you should try the album Discipline. Finally if you want a mix of there whole history you should try there newest album The Power to Believe, right now it’s my album of the year.

If you’re interested there are some modern bands that have similar styles to these classic prog bands. A modern Genesis would be a band called Spock's Beard, a modern Rush would be the band Dream Theater, and a modern King Crimson would be Tool. I am not saying they sound exactly alike, but these bands carry on the tradition of prog.

Oct 7, 2003 at 1:52 AM Post #5 of 36
Genesis - Seconds Out, also, honourable mentions to Foxtrot, Nursery Cryme, Selling England..., ...and the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway..., Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering
Rush - Moving Pictures, 2112
Jethro Tull - Heavy Horses or Songs from the Wood or Minstrel in the Gallery or Thick as a Brick or Aqualung...
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King from the earliest era, Islands from the transitional 70's, Red from the later 70's era, Discipline from the 80's era; more recently, don't know
Uriah Heep - don't know

You may also want to check out Classic Rock Forums

How come you didn't ask about Yes? IMHO, they are the definitive prog band.

Oct 7, 2003 at 2:51 AM Post #6 of 36
Quote:

How come you didn't ask about Yes? IMHO, they are the definitive prog band. [/B]

I'm listening to Yes - Fragile right now, which is what inspired me to check the music forum. (also the music forum is what inspired me to purchase the album...)

Also, if you want some Jethro Tull, "The Very Best of Jethro Tull" is really good, Ian Anderson made all the selections himself, he also cut down a few songs, but he made those decisions. If you just want a good sampling of Jethro Tull, this is a good comp. Otherwise I'd go with Aqualung - Good music, and really a good album when considered as an album as a whole.

TA

Oct 7, 2003 at 4:26 AM Post #7 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by MusicLover
Jethro Tull's Minstrel in the Gallery is really good.

Yes, definitely Minstrel In The Gallery is Great.

Rush- Hemispheres(my personal favorite)
King Crimson- Red

Oct 7, 2003 at 6:54 AM Post #8 of 36
caravan - caravan
caravan - For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night

wasn't on your list, but should definately give them a try.

Oct 7, 2003 at 1:10 PM Post #9 of 36
Would The Mars Volta count as a prog rock band? They're very current.
confused.gif
If they are... I'd recommend them - kinda like a post-punk prog group (with ex-At The Drive In members)

Oct 7, 2003 at 2:03 PM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew-Spaltro
I need to know the best albums from these bands

Genesis
Rush even though I have a lot of their albums.
Jethro Tull
King Crimson
Uriah Heep

Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Rush - dunno
Tull - dunno
King Crimson - Discipline (see my avatar)
Uriah Heep - I heard that there is no such thing as a "good album" from that band.

Off the record: Yes - The Yes Album

Oct 7, 2003 at 11:28 PM Post #11 of 36
I would consider the Mars Volta to be new wave prog. It is definitely different then any of the classic bands mentioned, but it does have some similarities. At times it sounds like Pink Floyd, and at others King Crimson, all this combined with sort of a Radioheadish style haha. There first cd is great, and if you have an open mind, this CD is wonderful.

Oct 8, 2003 at 12:12 AM Post #12 of 36
Genesis - Selling England by the Pound, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway & Foxtrot

Jethro Tull-Thick as a brick, The Passion Play & Aqualung

King Crimson - I definitely preffer the early period : In the Court of the Crimson King, Islands, Larks Tongues in Aspic & Starless and Bible Black

Rush - 2112, Permanent Waves & Moving Pictures + Exit...Stage out (very good summ-up live album)

Uriah Heep - Although not in the same league with the others: Look at yourself &The Magicians Birthday

Oct 8, 2003 at 1:03 AM Post #13 of 36
RUSH- Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures.

GENESIS- Seconds Out - Live album from 1977- Collins on vocals, however Supper's Ready never sounded better. Trick of a Tail, Selling England By The Pound (first Genesis album with a decent mix), The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. Wind and Wurthering isn't a perfect album, however it has a lot of charm and is considered by many Prog lovers as the last great Genesis album.

TULL- Thick as a Brick, Minstral in the Gallery, Song From The Woods, Roots To Branches. Really, you can't go wrong with any of 70's Tull.

CRIMSON- Red, Starless and Bible Black.

Modern Prog, for starters:

Flower Kings- Space Revolver
Dream Theater- Scenes From a Memory
Transatlantic- Bridge Across Forever
Kevin Gilbert- Shaming of the True (great production).

Oct 8, 2003 at 11:55 PM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by dougbrad81
caravan - caravan
caravan - For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night

wasn't on your list, but should definately give them a try.

These are great, but I like what they did after their self titled more. Plump is definitely one of the best.

Another one not on your list: Camel.
Mirage, Moonmadness and Nude are my favs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back