Impedance? Sensitivity? What spec matters?
Jun 27, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #31 of 38

Quote:
LizardKing, to clarify (or confuse) things further, tube amps have a wide variety of output impedances. A good transformer-coupled amp can get output impedance down near zero. On the other hand, one of the cheapo OTLs might have an output impedance of 150 Ohms or more while the manufacturer tells you that it works with "anything." Riiiight. Then you'll have something like the Zana Deux which has an output impedance of (IIRC) 12 Ohms, but it is an OTL. That's because the 6C33C has a naturally low output impedance, so you get the benefits of an OTL while being able to drive low impedance headphones.

To make things a little more confusing, the old standard for headphone amps used to be 120 Ohm output impedance. Some manufacturers still kinda use it, some don't. So some headphones are voiced to be used at 120 Ohms. This is why the DNA Sonett switches between very low impedance and 120 Ohms. Sowter, one of few manufacturers that makes dedicated output transformers for headphones, has models with multiple output taps so you can tune them to your headphones.

Look into the Damping Factor, as well. The lower the amp's output impedance and the higher the headphone impedance, the more control the amp has over the driver. However, there are some who argue that too high of a Damping Factor ruins the sound. I prefer a high Damping Factor, but look into the argument and decide for yourself.

For anyone who thinks that low impedance means something is easy to drive, read up on the Apogee Scintilla speaker. 1.2 Ohms of impedance and it is notorious for melting amps. Literally - lesser amps overheat and melt wires and components.

1. So you're an Apogee fan. Now, I know a bit more abt you. I've never heard any speakers that let me SEE the music that I want to reach out and want to touch those invisible instruments....but the Apogee. I am the ML fan boy but I have to give that to the Apogee.

2. Speakers and amps are rated different than HP amps and I am still trying to get use to with.  Well, The ML SL3 can drop down to 1.7 Ohm load
    and your Apogee are 1.2 Ohm but HPs list from 32 Ohm ....to 600 Ohm.... I guess it has something to do with the designed structure of  HPs.

Jun 29, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #34 of 38
i'm not sure if i can answer that since it's complicated. my guess headphones do better with higher output impedance cause in order to drop more voltage down to the headphones is to have a higher output impedance since naturally higher the impedance,higher the voltage the driver needs and higher the voltage that gets dropped down to the headphone socket from the power amp section. same goes with speakers. speaker spike anywhere from 50 to 100ohms on avg. just speakers benefit with more current then anything else. the voice coils and magnets are larger and much more demanding in power to accurately push and pull the driver in the magnetic field and have complete control over the voice coil.

that's when it's best to have an amp to handle high current loads from anywhere 2-4ohms cause naturally these amps are just a voltage source and have no trouble pushing high voltages but current is problem and need a bigger transformer to handle higher current loads. that's why when buying an amp for low speaker loads make sure it was designed with large caps(to store and release the heavy energy) and very large and heavy power transformer(power supply). i'm not sure exactly but it all comes down to how much copper is rolled to determine how much current can pass through. heavier the copper and more that's wrapped the more power that can be stored and transfered at once. i think it comes down to the copper used for both speakers and amps. i can be wrong. this is just a guess on my part.

Jun 30, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #38 of 38

Quote:
I was kidding.

You weren't the only one.  
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back