Importing headphones...
Mar 1, 2013 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

roguegeek

Headphoneus Supremus
I've decided to grab the Sony MDR-1R, but the only version sold in the US is the black/red version and I've made a huge mistake of falling in love with the silver/brown one. Looks like there are plenty of eBay stores that carry them in Japan and Canada. What are everyone's thoughts on importing headphones? What are pros and cons? Are their reputable vendors to purchase from that people can recommend?

Mar 1, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #4 of 7
Just be ready to pay import tax

Yup. Import tax will definitely raise the overall price. I think I understand that if I want something I can't normally get over here, I'm going to have to pay for them. What about things like warranties and support? I also understand if you're buying from overseas, then you have to worry about authenticity. I know that's a real problem with something like an MDR-V6 which has been around forever. How about something that just came out? When you do want to buy from outside the country, are there certain types of vendors you'll want to deal with?

Mar 1, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #5 of 7
Just try and get them from an authorized dealer.

Mar 1, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
Just try and get them from an authorized dealer.

I'm positive that will help with a lot of things in terms of making sure I get the proper product and what not. No matter what, though, I should kiss any warranty or support goodbye, yeah?

Mar 1, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #7 of 7
Sony being Sony...I don't know if they just hate the US market or something. Same thing with the new Xperia Z, already out in Asia and many EU countries, yet not even an official release date for us in the states. I want to get the 1R too, maybe I'd get the black one from amazon to test out the sound, then return it at the cost of a few bucks and import the silver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back