Impression Stax Sr 007 Mk2 And Sr 009 + Srm 727 Mk2 as Active Speaker drive with Tube Pre. Amp T + A P 10.2
May 5, 2012 at 10:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

rudi0504

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi Head Fier Friends

I would like to share my new set up with Stax as follow

Source : April Music CD Player Stello CDA 500

DAC : by end of May April Music Eximus DP 1 as pure DAC

Pre Amp : Tube Pre Amp T + A  P 10.2

Power Amp : Solid State Stax Srm 727 Mk2

Cable : use all DIY Nanotec with special shielding Treatment : RCA , XLR Balance and Power Cable 

My Set Up :

Stax Srm 727 Mk 2 XLR Input i use Balance Cable to Pre Amp T + A P 10.2 Pre Out XLR

Follow the Stax Instruction Manual : The Volume Control from Stax Srm 727 Mk 2 must turn to Maximum

or i can set insite the Amp Srm 727 Mk2 to Direct as FIX Volume Control , this is only for use with

Pre Amp 

Stello CDA 500 Analog Output i use RCA to Pre Amp T + A P 10.2 Line In DISC 

High : more open and extended detail and full sounding compare to direct with Srm 727 Mk 2 

Mid : more warm sweet and lush sounding mid compare to direct with Srm 727 Mk 2  

Bass : more low and detail and deep and tight compare to direct with Srm 727 Mk 2

Separation and Transparancy : more transparant and detail , that i can hear more detail and transparant

compare to direct with Srm 727 Mk 2.

Electrostatic Headphone is the best for Clairity and Transparancy compare to Ortho

ande Dynamic Headphone in my Collection ( LCD2 Rev2 , LCD 3, HD 800 , T 1 and Ulktrasone ED 8 )

Soundstaging : wider and more layering in the Depth compare to direct with Srm 727 Mk 2.

Conculsiuon : This set up is my best SQ from all my Headphones collections.

The Sound Quality is very close to Home Speaker Set Up

The Sound Quality so Natural and very Analog Sounding Headphone i ever own and heard 

With Pre Amp as your Volume Control : you can hear the Best Bass Impact from Sr 007 Mk 2 i ever heard 

This is my personal impression

Top Left Headphone Stax Sr 007 mk 2 , Top right Stax Solid State Amp Srm 727 Mk2
In the Middle : Tube Pre Amp from T + A P 10.2 Germany
Bottom : April Music CD Player Stello CDA 500

Rear View :
in the Picture i use first RCA connector from Line Input Srm 727 Mk2 to Pre Amp T + A P 10.2 Pre Out

the Best SQ in use : Balance XLR between Stax Srm 727 Mk 2 and Pre Amp T + A P 10.2

The Best Sounding Headphones i own are :

Stax Sr 007 Mk2 > LCD 3 > HD 800 > T 1 > LCD 2 Rev 2 > Ultrasone ED 8 Rhutenium

Note : HD 800 recable with DIY Special Shielding is better than T1 

May 7, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #2 of 47
Today my friend loan me his Eximus Dp 1

Source : CD Transport Stello CDA 500

DAC : Eximus Dp 1

Power Amp : Stax Srm 727 Mk2 

Pre Amp : Tube Pre Amp T + A  P 10.2 Germany

Cable : All DIY Nanotec woith special Shielding treatment to minimize Eddie Current

Cable Set Up :

Eximus DP 1 Coax 1 goping to CDA 500 Coax Digital Output 

CDA 500 RCA from Analog Output going to Pre Amp T + A  line In Disc

T + A Pre Amp use Pre Out XLR going to Stax Srm 727 mk2 Input XLR

Overall SQ : more detail and better separation amd Soundstaging compare without DAC Eximus DP 1
                  More Bass Body and Mid also

The Best Sound Quality from SR 007 Mk2 i ever heard to Date

My wishes : Can try BHSE or WES from Woo Audio.

May 8, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #3 of 47
I prefer my 009 with the Stax tube amp.
That plus all Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords upgrades make for an even more scary quiet background.

May 9, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #4 of 47
I prefer my 009 with the Stax tube amp.
That plus all Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords upgrades make for an even more scary quiet background.

Thank you for your suggestion, I wish to buy Stax Sr 009 as well , I have read many review on head fi , it is much better than my Sr 007 mk 2

Can you please let me the S Q different between Sr 007 mk 2 vs Sr 009 ?

Many head fiers choose Stax Srm 727 mk2 , could you please tell me know why you choose Stax Tube. Amp Srm 007 mk 2 ?

Thank you

May 15, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #5 of 47
Jeez look at that setup, I still have  fiio e7e9 powering AKG701's and 4 years of medical school loans to look forward to. Maybe I have a really expensive graduation present to look forward to next year perhaps? I'm just dreaming...

Maybe when I become a big shot doctor that treats professional athletes with no insurance or lawsuits to worry about.

May 23, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #6 of 47
Jeez look at that setup, I still have  fiio e7e9 powering AKG701's and 4 years of medical school loans to look forward to. Maybe I have a really expensive graduation present to look forward to next year perhaps? I'm just dreaming...

Maybe when I become a big shot doctor that treats professional athletes with no insurance or lawsuits to worry about.

As I was student same like you , I wish one day I can have my dream set up .
I just finished my Graduate in year 1987, you can have the same dream set up like what I have today , after more than 20 years of hardworking .

Jun 21, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #7 of 47
Today My Stax Sr 009 just arrived from Hong Kong

Source : CD Player as Transport Stello CDA 500

DAC : Eximus DP 1

Headamp : Stax Srm 727 mk 2 as Power amp
                 Pre Amp T + A P 10.2 

Headphone : Stax Sr 009 BINB

Cable : RCA : Home Grown Silver Lace USA
                     DIY Nanotech with special Shielding

Coax : Nanotech Neuron 99 Digital Silencer

My Impression Stax Sr 009 out the Box :

High : more detail and extended compare to my Sr 007 mk 2, cymbals sound more full

Mid : sweet , lush and more clear and full body compare to Sr 007 Mk 2.
        the best Saxophone i can hear from my Stax Sr 009

Bass : tight , deep and fullbody compare to my Sr 007 Mk 2 and very detail and clean

Soundstage  : more wider and better depth compare to my Sr 007 mk 2 

Separation : has better detail and placement from instrument more accurate compare my Sr 007 mk 2
                  i can hear the ambient from live recording like Jazz at the pawn shop more detail and clearer

My Impression : SR 009 is The best Headphone to date compare to all my headphone collection like follow

Sr 009 > Sr 007 mk 2 > LCD 3 > HD 800 > T 1 > ED 8 Ruthenium

This my personal Impresion 

Jun 22, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #9 of 47
Quote:
Thank you for your suggestion, I wish to buy Stax Sr 009 as well , I have read many review on head fi , it is much better than my Sr 007 mk 2
Can you please let me the S Q different between Sr 007 mk 2 vs Sr 009 ?
Many head fiers choose Stax Srm 727 mk2 , could you please tell me know why you choose Stax Tube. Amp Srm 007 mk 2 ?
Thank you

Rudi,

Thank you for sharing your impressions of your wonderful setup. That'll be a dream for me to have one fine day too.

About the difference between the SRM-007tA & SRM-727A, I managed to borrow my friend's SRM-007tA for a couple of weeks to test. My source is the Benchmark DAC1 Pre (off to the side) and transport is my iMac (Audirvana Plus, DSD-converted to DFF files).

What I found the SRM-007tA to be somewhat have more depth to it's soundstage. Both to me sounded wide but the SRM-007tA had a more "big hall" kind of atmosphere. Whilst this worked well with jazz vocals, or older west coast jazz with acoustic instruments, etc. I found that when it came to more pop music, the 007tA to be somewhat slow and dull for my liking. On the other hand with the 727A, it felt a little more 2D with the jazz stuff, but nicer, faster, and more musical for the pop music.

So each one had their own strengths and weaknesses and ideally I wish I could own both and switch back 'n forth depending on the genre and type of music I was listening to, however if I had to pick one it'll still be the 727A as it seems decent enough for a "general purpose" amp, whereas the 007tA is almost very genre/music-type specific.

Jun 23, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #10 of 47
Quote:

Rudi,

Thank you for sharing your impressions of your wonderful setup. That'll be a dream for me to have one fine day too.

About the difference between the SRM-007tA & SRM-727A, I managed to borrow my friend's SRM-007tA for a couple of weeks to test. My source is the Benchmark DAC1 Pre (off to the side) and transport is my iMac (Audirvana Plus, DSD-converted to DFF files).

What I found the SRM-007tA to be somewhat have more depth to it's soundstage. Both to me sounded wide but the SRM-007tA had a more "big hall" kind of atmosphere. Whilst this worked well with jazz vocals, or older west coast jazz with acoustic instruments, etc. I found that when it came to more pop music, the 007tA to be somewhat slow and dull for my liking. On the other hand with the 727A, it felt a little more 2D with the jazz stuff, but nicer, faster, and more musical for the pop music.

So each one had their own strengths and weaknesses and ideally I wish I could own both and switch back 'n forth depending on the genre and type of music I was listening to, however if I had to pick one it'll still be the 727A as it seems decent enough for a "general purpose" amp, whereas the 007tA is almost very genre/music-type specific.

Thank you for your explanation tyeh Sound Different between Srm 727 A vs Srmn 007t A.
At the end i choose Srm 007 mk 2 , because i have already Pre amp T+A P 10.2 , this T + A P 10.2 is perfect combination with my Stax Srm 007 mk2. to drive my Stax Sr 009

I am very happy to upgrade from Sr 007 mk 2 to SAr 009 .

Now i burn in  my Sr 009.

Jun 26, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #12 of 47
I have the 007t/ii also with the 009s and like it very much (not too bright, not too dull, just right).
Somehow it sounds better with single ended inputs, a little more mellow, which I like.

Jun 27, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #13 of 47
I have the 007t/ii also with the 009s and like it very much (not too bright, not too dull, just right).
Somehow it sounds better with single ended inputs, a little more mellow, which I like.

If you have pre amp or DAC and preamp like eximus Dp 1

You can try it , your srm007 t Ii as power amp and drive with the volume Controll from your pre amp , you can have different SQ .

SQ improve better than direct to Stax Srm 007 t Ii

Jun 27, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #14 of 47
Quote:
If you have pre amp or DAC and preamp like eximus Dp 1
You can try it , your srm007 t Ii as power amp and drive with the volume Controll from your pre amp , you can have different SQ .
SQ improve better than direct to Stax Srm 007 t Ii

Hi and thanks. Are you saying I should send my (EMM) CD Player analog output to the analog input of my  preamp and then send the preamp analog output to the analog inputs of the Stax 007t/ii amp?
Do you mean this would improve the sonics?

[CD Player]-----interconnect---->[Preamp]-----interconnect--->[Stax 007t/ii amp]===>{Stax 009 phones}

I would think the indirection and 2 attenuators would degrade the sonics.
Thanks again for the suggestion, I guess I could try it.
Best to you.

Jun 28, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #15 of 47
Hi and thanks. Are you saying I should send my (EMM) CD Player analog output to the analog input of my  preamp and then send the preamp analog output to the analog inputs of the Stax 007t/ii amp?
Do you mean this would improve the sonics?

[CD Player]-----interconnect---->[Preamp]-----interconnect--->[Stax 007t/ii amp]===>{Stax 009 phones}

I would think the indirection and 2 attenuators would degrade the sonics.
Thanks again for the suggestion, I guess I could try it.
Best to you.

Like my Stax Srm 727 mk 2, your Srm 007 t mk2 you can use as power amp

CD player ---> to DAC eximus dp1 use COAX cable ---> from PRE AMP eximus dp 1 ANALOG

OUTPUT XLR to your Stax Srm 007 t Mk 2 INPUT XLR .---- > Stax sr 009

All the volume Controll in your Stax Srm 007 t mk 2 you must turn to MAXX.

You manage your volume Controll now from your PRE AMP .

Note : for better Sound Quality like my Stax Srm 727 mk 2 , I can switch the selector

Insite to DIRECT , thats mean BY BASS the circuit from Stax Srm 727 mk2

Direct to the PRE AMP .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back