Impressions From NAS'12 UK: [Sennheiser IE800, Momentum & Ultrasone IQ/iq]
Sep 26, 2012 at 5:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

vkvedam

Headphoneus Supremus
Dear Head-Fellows

These are my impressions from the brief auditions I've done at the Headzones stall from NAS'12 UK which took place over the last weekend on the 22nd & 23rd of September. Please do take my comments with a grain of salt as always as these are solely my opinions thus the resulting conclusions.

Source: iPod Classic 160GB (7th Gen)

Music: Jazz, Rock, Electronica and some Indian Classical ones

Comparison: UM custom moulded E500, Sony Z1000

Sennheiser IE800 In Ear Monitors. MSRP: £600

I started with these as I had spent about 5 years now with my Shure E500s and wanted something that I could consider as an upgrade. I fired up some of my favourite tunes. The first thing that strikes you is the 'V' shaped sound signature. They present you with deep bass and extremely bright highs with just a tad recessed mids. Recessed mids could be down to the fact that the extremes are accentuated quite a bit. As a result there's quite a bit of sibilance and makes music quite digital. Detail retrieval is good but at the expense of accentuated highs. Bass response is good and big. Although a little over powering to my neutral-ish head I did enjoy a bit of colour. Mids are adequate but you get this feeling of recessed mids because of the other two spectra being extreme. Unless I listen to Kraftwerk and Daft Punk all day long these aren't my cup of tea. Even then it becomes a bit fatiguing to listen to extended periods. Tips that come in the package are box standard rubber/silicone and no that comfortable. IMHO they aren't worth the price and at £600 I would go for a custom either by UM, JH or UE.

Senneheiser Momentum: Mid range closed cans (On ear). MSRP: £260

I did the same with these. This time I had my Sony headphones for comparison. I wasn't impressed at all. May be I've to do another audition as everything sounded muddy and veiled in comparison. I tried few different tracks but was not impressed. Quite dark sounding, veiled and the bass is bloated IMHO. I expected quite a lot because I like the HD-25s quite a lot. I feel this as a departure in some other direction. Z1000s have just blown these away and I didn't have to listen for more than 5 minutes to come to this conclusion. I would happily spend my money on HD-25s and then save some rather than go for these.

Ultrasone IQ/iq: In Ear Monitors. MSRP: £700

These are targeted straight at IE800s in my opinion. And this is the first time Ultrasone have made their way into IEM territory. Bass is comparable to IE800s and that's about it. Mids are quite recessed and highs are terrible. If you remember other HFI/Proline range from the past these are pretty much comparable to their signature. They sound like scraping metal of some surface. I myself have the signature pros and consider them to be the only Ultrasones that could compete with other highend headphones from other manufacturers. It might sound harsh but I wouldn't even pay £100 for these. Get UE700s and save your money. If you like these then you must be a hardcore fan for the Ultrasone brand. If you really want to spend £700 then get the Signature Pros which are way more decent compared to these.

In addition I've had a listen to the Audezes, Hifimans, Stax and HD 800/700s on few different setups. They are all outstanding as always in their own right. Like I said before make sure you do an audition before taking the plunge and the Americans should try and go for the RMAF this year where they should see all these for sure.

Regards
Ven

Sep 26, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
Also correction they don't have dual dynamic, they have hybrid set ups so one dynamic and them a BA. Don't know if its one or two.

Representatives said they both are dynamic drivers, are you quite sure that they're hybrid. Both Sennheiser & Ultrasone. And yeah, I would take Heir Audio over both these.

Sep 26, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #5 of 8
Everything I  read so far suggest the IE800 only has a single 7mn dynamic driver. The Ultrasone is said to be 1 dynamic + 1 BA...  
confused.gif

Anyway, why wasn't I invited??? 
frown.gif

Sep 26, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #6 of 8
Oh everything I have read says they were hybrid. Well the IE800 was at the beginning of its life anyway. For the ultrasound I am almost certain about it being hybrid. Will post some links when I get home. It's hard on my phone.

Didier, I was told about it by Justin at just audio, suprised no one mentioned it to you.

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for the impressions! I saw an IE800 graph somewhere and the highs didn't look so much pronounced. Maybe quantity seems more because of the high extension? Have you heard the UE 900?

Oct 29, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #8 of 8
I was originally planning to get the custom dynamic IEM from ear sonics (MG6PRO). Then I read a lot good things about 800s on some Chinese forums, which almost made my mind to cancel the MG6PRO. But your post suggested that the IE800 can be fatiguing at times which is my major concern as I am really sensitive to aggressive sound signatures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back