Impressions of Shure SRH1840 Pads on SRH440 Headphones
Jun 18, 2013 at 5:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

DeeKay10

100+ Head-Fier
A while ago I was looking into replacing the not-too-comfortable SRH440 ear pads with something more appropriate, like the 840's or the 940's velour pads, which I read good opinions about. Figuring bigger is better, I tried searching the forum (and Google) for how the 1440 or 1840's pads would fare, but didn't find anything.
So, since all the replacement pads are priced practically the same, I went ahead and bought a pair of 1840's pads.

The good news is that, physically, they are a prefect match. In fact, they are even easier to insert than the originals. As far as comfort goes, it's evident why these ship with the open-back top models - they're big, soft and take away the acknowledgement of having leather around your ears (instead averting your attention to the 440's poorly-padded headband).

The bad news is what they do to the sound: Firstly, the moderate isolation the SRH440 offer is nearly gone with these on and I doubt they could be used outside of home comfortably. Secondly, due to that isolation factor and the fact the 1840's pads are thicker than the 440's, the ears are now further away from the drivers, so both the lows and highs sound weaker. They're still there, but not as audible.
Lastly, and that's pretty much what kills the deal, is that the 1840's pads mesh is thicker, which along with the prior, makes the music sound muffled and overall destroys the musicality.

I thought I'll post about the experience to help people that encounter threads like this - http://www.head-fi.org/t/458545/shure-srh440-impression/210#post_7952767 - and want to try to mod their SRH440s (the HD600 headband seems just right).

I'm going to get a pair of 940's pads later and I'll update this post whether I encounter similar symptoms.

Update: Impressions of the 940's pads updated at the bottom of the page.

Jun 19, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #3 of 10
What I did was this:

1) equipped SRH440 with 840 pads
2) closed 2 of the driver opening holes on each driver with duct tape

Result:
Rich and full sound, more bass, everything is just smoother and lovely to listen to. Highly improved.

Cheers,
K

Jun 19, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
Is there a difference between 840 pads and 940 pads?
Also, is there any way to make the headband more comfortable?

Yes, there is a huge difference.

The 940 ear pads are made of velour while the 840s are made of soft pleather. While the 840 earpads generate more bass on the 440 the 940 will make the 440 loose bass.

Don't know about the headband.
Cheers,

Jun 19, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #6 of 10
Yes, there is a huge difference.

The 940 ear pads are made of velour while the 840s are made of soft pleather. While the 840 earpads generate more bass on the 440 the 940 will make the 440 loose bass.

Don't know about the headband.
Cheers,

The lose bass? So why would someone use them on the rather flat 440?
So the 840 pads do improve the bass and comfort? I have to buy them...
Also, can you link a tutorial for you driver mod? Will it kill other frequencies whilst improving the bass?

Cheers

Jun 19, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
Have you tried the sock mod on the SRH440's?

You mean this?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/470304/shure-srh840-earpad-mod/15
At the time it seemed so ridiculous I immediately ruled it out (I mean c'mon, it's a sock :D), but I'll look into it.

Quote:
What I did was this:

1) equipped SRH440 with 840 pads
2) closed 2 of the driver opening holes on each driver with duct tape

Result:
Rich and full sound, more bass, everything is just smoother and lovely to listen to. Highly improved.

Cheers,
K

I'll try that out, thanks.

Quote:
Is there a difference between 840 pads and 940 pads?
Also, is there any way to make the headband more comfortable?

Yep. See this mod:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/458545/shure-srh440-impression/210#post_7952767
I've ordered one myself and waiting for it to arrive to try it out.

Quote:
The lose bass? So why would someone use them on the rather flat 440?
So the 840 pads do improve the bass and comfort? I have to buy them...
Also, can you link a tutorial for you driver mod? Will it kill other frequencies whilst improving the bass?

Cheers

My point as well. What I like about these headphones is that the bass is balanced and well extended (the feeling nobody has been messing with it), but seems any attempt to upgrade the ear pads modifies it in some way.

Anyhow, I got a pair of 940's pads today and tried them on. They are smaller and a bit less comfortable than the 1840's. Oddly, they also don't fit as well and the mesh is sort of bumping out - it's not uncomfortable, just looks silly.
As for the sound, they do suffer from the same symptoms as the 1840's pads, but on a much lesser scale. There's less isolation and the bass is slightly reduced, but the highs suffer much less and the headphones regain most of the loss of musicality the 1840's pads caused. They do however produce a less tight sound in my opinion (most likely because of the bass).

So to sum it up, swap the stock 440's pads with the 940's and you'll be giving up on a little sound quality, for gaining a lot of comfort. I guess it's a matter of priority and preference.
Personally, I went for the replacement pads since the stock ones aren't comfortable with the frame of my glasses, and since I bought the headphones for casual listening (TV shows, gaming), I'm not bothered about critical listening (actually got a pair of SE535s for that). To get the best out of the 440s though, in my opinion, you're best sticking with the stock pads.

Jun 19, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #8 of 10
As I said:

Swap the stock pads to the 840 (not1840) pads and enjoy more and tighter bass, better comfort and overall a just rounder sound.

Try it, I won't go back to the stock pads anytime soon :wink:

Cheers,
K

Jun 19, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #10 of 10
The stock pads sounds the best overall, the srh840 pads sounds a bit V-shape, u get a little mid-bass hump and some odd peaks between the high mids and treble (5khz~10khz i think?). It's only good with ur looking for more bass and highs though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back