IMPRESSIONS: Sony Qualia, Audio-Technica L3000, Grado GS1000.
Aug 28, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #136 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
Good point. I wasn't familiar with the equipment I was using. It was Yikes' Exemplar CDP and ASL amp both heavily modded, with Siltech interconnects.

I'm not trying to indicate his gear is not great, but synergy is important and although price doens't always play a factor, at the end of the day, it really does seem like the better the gear the bigger the bucks to get it. Given thsi is Yikes' system, I doubt his stuff is garbage, but I'mnot familiar at all with Exemplar and I don't know which ASL amp, though many have issues with low Z phones.

Aug 28, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #137 of 176
great to hear. i have 225's now, and having played music almost all my life, there is nothing but grado's for me. i was going to go rs-1's and have planned it for awhile, but these gs1000's sound too good... hopefully i don't make the wrong choice, i can't demo 'em and i'm planning on the black dragon cables...

Aug 28, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #138 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by ouchia
great to hear. i have 225's now, and having played music almost all my life, there is nothing but grado's for me. i was going to go rs-1's and have planned it for awhile, but these gs1000's sound too good... hopefully i don't make the wrong choice, i can't demo 'em and i'm planning on the black dragon cables...

Hmmm...where are you ordering from? Todd has a 30 day return policy. From someone who has played music most of his life as well...the RS-1's are more true from the artist's perspective, the GS-1000's from those in the audience. Both are great for sure.

Aug 28, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #139 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by ouchia

I would say if you listen to classical and need layering for a symphony, and you like an "airy" presentation the GS-1000 is the ticket.

If you listen to rock mostly or any of it's variations, the RS-1 and all other Grado's have that immediate attack on the drums that the GS-1000 doesn't quite do as instantaniously, then the RS-1 might be for you.

It's really a tradeoff = driver closer to the ear - ultra fast transient response, but small soundstage ~vs~ farther from the ear - fast but very slightly delayed, and large soundtage. You can't have it both ways unfortunately.

Aug 28, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #140 of 176
good points, but also isn't the gs1000 more comfortable than previous grado's?

Aug 28, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #141 of 176
Do any of the gs1k users find the the midrange to be dry sounding compared relative to the Rs-1 and even more so the Ps-1 mids?

I mean I know it has the whole soundstage width and depth going on for them but I just thought the mids were a bit too dry for my taste's.

Aug 28, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #143 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianS
good points, but also isn't the gs1000 more comfortable than previous grado's?

That's hardly difficult is it.
very_evil_smiley.gif

*waits for the grado sniper crews*
rs1smile.gif

But weirdly enough I do find the Rs-1's comfy
confused.gif

Aug 28, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #144 of 176
i hear you, zanth... but i'm also hearing that the black dragon'd gs 1000's have a greater sense of attack and bolder presence, so i'm thinking that this may help? you're not saying that they sound as far back as the 880's are you? 'cause i hate those cans.

Aug 28, 2006 at 7:01 AM Post #145 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
It's really a tradeoff = driver closer to the ear - ultra fast transient response, but small soundstage ~vs~ farther from the ear - fast but very slightly delayed, and large soundtage. You can't have it both ways unfortunately.

Oh you can, its called W5000
biggrin.gif

Aug 28, 2006 at 3:23 PM Post #147 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
The gs1k mids are pretty dry and the treble really can be peaky. I find myself listening to them at lower volumes compared to my other phones because of said treble issues.

Agreed.

Aug 28, 2006 at 3:25 PM Post #148 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Do any of the gs1k users find the the midrange to be dry sounding compared relative to the Rs-1 and even more so the Ps-1 mids?

I mean I know it has the whole soundstage width and depth going on for them but I just thought the mids were a bit too dry for my taste's.

They don't sound as dry with bowl pads on them.

Biggie.

Aug 28, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #149 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
The gs1k mids are pretty dry and the treble really can be peaky. I find myself listening to them at lower volumes compared to my other phones because of said treble issues.

Yep, I agree with that too. Was anyone else finding them relatively un-textured as well? Or was it just the lack of midrange texture that I noticed?

Aug 28, 2006 at 4:52 PM Post #150 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
They don't sound as dry with bowl pads on them.

Biggie.

After getting use to the rs-1 mids and Ps-1's mids I just find I just can't hack the Gs1-mids. Just doesn't have that effortless presentation of the ps-1's mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back