Improving ATH-W5000 seal, bass & isolation with bigger/thicker pads?
Sep 2, 2011 at 11:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

halcyon

Headphoneus Supremus
Having an average or slightly smaller head, I've never really had a great seal with my ATH-W5000. Being that I like the wearing comfort of these cans and would hate to part with them, I keep trying to fiddle with their position to try and get a better seal, along with a bit more bass and isolation. But no, positioning doesn't help a lot for me.

So, the next step is replacement pads.

So, has anybody tried any thicker and bigger pads for W5000?

I'm namely looking for pads that:

- is cleraly thicker, when worn, giving a better seal
 - have a larger circumference, so that the pads become even more CIRCUMaural than the stock W5000 pads (which for me rest partly on pinnae)
 - fits w5000 with minimum of modding

Are there such beasts in existence?

Can anybody hazard an educated guess as to how the following pads would fit W5000 (i.e. big enough/too big, need a lot of modding, not thicker than original W5000 pads):

- Stax SR-007 mkII (look slightly thicker in photos)
 - Sony MDR-XB1000 (big and plush)
 - JMoney pads (for Denon, perhaps can be custom made for other phones?)
 - Audeze LCD-2 leather pads (also meant for angled drivers and twisting cups, like on W5000)

Being on the European side of the big pond, ordering all of these just to try out becomes a very expensive trial.

So I'm trying to narrow down the options, before I embark on blind orders.

If anybody has experimented on any other thicker pads, please chime in.

Sep 2, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #2 of 10
You could try those clarino pads from the A2000x.
They are certainly thicker, but I don't think they isolated all that well though.

Sep 3, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #3 of 10
Thanks, I'l put those on the list

I wonder if there are any other option available or experience from other W5000 users?

Would LCD-2 pads, which are very nice, fit W5000?

Sep 7, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #4 of 10
No more ideas from other W5000 owners?

Surely some must have tried bigger pads on their W5000 as the original pads aren't very circumaural at all.

Sep 7, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
No more ideas from other W5000 owners?

Surely some must have tried bigger pads on their W5000 as the original pads aren't very circumaural at all.

Make your own. Check my sig. It's not hard as long as you start to cover the entire cups.

Sep 7, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #6 of 10
There has been a lot of modding of W5000s here in this forum some years ago, I think it was in January 2007. 

You may look for the F5005 mod for example or just Fitz mods. I use this mod with great results. 

There has been a thread for W5000 pad mods, too - in February 2006 if I am not mistaken ....

Sep 10, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #7 of 10
Thanks, I quickly browsed the F5000 mod thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/214363/w5000-fitz-mod-guide

But the whole F5005 isn't very well documented to the extent at least that I can find.

Further, they do not solve the issue that the W5000 pads are just too small for my ears.

I need bigger pads.

Ah well, I guess I just need to order a second pair of LCD-2 pads. At least they are big enough.

Mar 9, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #8 of 10
I'm thinking maybe the Mad Dog alpha pads could create a better seal for the W5000? but I'm not sure if they would fit. Did anyone try it?

Mar 10, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #9 of 10
I'm thinking maybe the Mad Dog alpha pads could create a better seal for the W5000? but I'm not sure if they would fit. Did anyone try it?

It's a good thought but I think they're even smaller than W5000 pads.

Maybe some of the AKG pads would work; they're pretty big. The K702 annie pads use memory foam for a better seal.

Have you asked on the owners' thread? I'm supposing there is one, probably combined with the other wooded ATs.

Mar 10, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #10 of 10
I'm amazed nobody has mentioned bending the flat metal headbands in this thread yet! Just bend until clamping is adequate in respect to your head size and that does it: better seal achieves better isolation and better bass.
When I lend the headphones to a friend, I always adjust the metal headband according to their head size, and bend it back to my setting when I get them back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back