Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 3, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #17,116 of 18,244
I confirm, CADMUS 8W sounds amazing with Enigma+, with CADMUS you get a balanced sound.
But if you want the bass to be even more rumbling in the chest, and the mids to be more lively and melodious, then use the ARES S 8W.
How does the Enigma+ compare with your other totl iems ?
Titan and xe6 or the others ?
What about cymbals on Enigma ?
Cymbals were IMR kryptonite

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 10:22 AM Post #17,117 of 18,244
Look forward to try out various cables. I have not yet begun to cable roll. Still burn in my Enigma+ with the stock cable. The Enigma is taking away almost 100% of the playtime from all other sets atm. Just don't want to / feel no need to listen to something else. Kind of a new experience. Glad that some more of you have been delivered meanwhile...

My Enigma+ is still in transit. Should get them sometime next week.
How does it compare with your other iems.
What's standout for you base ? Treble ?
By the way can you hear the cymbals well on Enigma + ?

Feb 3, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #17,119 of 18,244
Feb 3, 2024 at 11:20 AM Post #17,120 of 18,244
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/imr-audio-sonic-adventures-impressions.938732/post-17940966

As mentioned - not much playtime for other sets atm, so no further comparisons done. To my ears the greatest strength of the Enigmas is their coherency and very natural timbre (oc with the usual IMR bass shelf). They don't excel in holography or soundstage and the cymbals you asked for are not as forward or pronounced as in other sets like the DTE900 eg. But even though their characteristic first striked me as if they were lacking something, imo they are not. They just sound right to me in the purest sense of this word. Imagine the feeling when you had dinner in a very good restaurant and feel totally satisfied. Sure there are other tastes / cuisines to be explored (somewhen) but there are those moments when you feel no need to do so and are just happy with what you got. That's what the Enigma is for me atm. Not the best of all or the best in every aspect but all in all the most satisfying of my bunch, for me and to date...

Edit: another strength of the Enigma I stumbled upon during further listening is their transparency, making good recordings shine while bad ones sound bad(er)...

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #17,121 of 18,244
You know what a comparison between your VOlur and Enigma+ would be interesting?
Did you decide to get an Enigma again ?
Hi, no I will not get the Enigma+

I've learnt my lesson with IMR and I won't make the same mistake again, after been lucky enough to get a full refund for my "lost" order. I am glad things turned out this way for me.

I've never heard the Enigma+ but I am listening to my Volür for at least 7 hours every day. I still remember the sound of my Elan+ and also I have the IMR Dawn to revive the memories of the IMR house sound. The Volür is doing everything absolutely perfectly right by a large margin.

Additionally, have you read what @zikarus said above?
"
another strength of the Enigma I stumbled upon during further listening is their transparency, making good recordings shine while bad ones sound bad(er)...

"

This is alarming to me. I remember Bob saying the same about the Elan+

Well... 80% of my listening comes from the following sources:
Amazon Music Unlimited, around 30% I'd say
Qobuz (via UAPP), very recent subscription, 20% I'd say
YouTube Premium, 50% at least!

All of the above sources sound absolutely and truly a-m-a-z-i-n-g with my Volür!! I am listening to YouTube Premium, DJ sets unavailable anywhere else, with my GO Pod, I am walking on the streets and I am feeling like losing the ground below my feet! I feel like I am floating on air!

I am not sure what the Enigma+ would do to those "bad" sources....

The Elan+ never forgave them. This is why I've sent it back in September '23

Feb 3, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #17,122 of 18,244
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/imr-audio-sonic-adventures-impressions.938732/post-17940966

As mentioned - not much playtime for other sets atm, so no further comparisons done. To my ears the greatest strength of the Enigmas is their coherency and very natural timbre (oc with the usual IMR bass shelf). They don't excel in holography or soundstage and the cymbals you asked for are not as forward or pronounced as in other sets like the DTE900 eg. But even though their characteristic first striked me as if they were lacking something, imo they are not. They just sound right to me in the purest sense of this word. Imagine the feeling when you had dinner in a very good restaurant and feel totally satisfied. Sure there are other tastes / cuisines to be explored (somewhen) but there are those moments when you feel no need to do so and are just happy with what you got. That's what the Enigma is for me atm. Not the best of all or the best in every aspect but all in all the most satisfying of my bunch, for me and to date...

Edit: another strength of the Enigma I stumbled upon during further listening is their transparency, making good recordings shine while bad ones sound bad(er)...
Very detailed impressions thanks.
Like the resto part too !

Feb 3, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #17,123 of 18,244
Xe6 is a wonderful IEM, I really liked the high frequencies in it, they are clear, exceptional, they are transparent, damped and far-reaching.
In Enigma+, high frequencies are not as prominent as in Xe6, but they are pleasant, audible and not tiring, the cymbals sound natural, the natural ringing of metal cymbals.

Feb 3, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #17,124 of 18,244

I've learnt my lesson with IMR and I won't make the same mistake again, after been lucky enough to get a full refund for my "lost" order. I am glad things turned out this way for me.

I've never heard the Enigma+ but I am listening to my Volür for at least 7 hours every day. I still remember the sound of my Elan+ and also I have the IMR Dawn to revive the memories of the IMR house sound. The Volür is doing everything absolutely perfectly right by a large margin.

"
another strength of the Enigma I stumbled upon during further listening is their transparency, making good recordings shine while bad ones sound bad(er)...

"

All of the above sources sound absolutely and truly a-m-a-z-i-n-g with my Volür!! I am listening to YouTube Premium, DJ sets unavailable anywhere else, with my GO Pod, I am walking on the streets and I am feeling like losing the ground below my feet! I feel like I am floating on air!

Thank you . I'd like to listen to the volur sometime. Sounds amazing too.

Feb 3, 2024 at 12:09 PM Post #17,125 of 18,244
Xe6 is a wonderful IEM, I really liked the high frequencies in it, they are clear, exceptional, they are transparent, damped and far-reaching.
In Enigma+, high frequencies are not as prominent as in Xe6, but they are pleasant, audible and not tiring, the cymbals sound natural, the natural ringing of metal cymbals.
Avalon and Seraph were not great with cymbals. Happy to hear Enigma+ has done better.

Feb 3, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #17,126 of 18,244

"

"

I remember the discussions. But transparency is a good thing in my book and definitely a sign of quality. If a bad source sounds good the medium used to listen to it is coloured. Crap in, crap out that's the way it is or should be. And I wrote bad(er) by purpose as the Enigma is quite forgiving as it makes even bader recordings sound ok and likeable. But you pick it up, when you stumble upon a good recording...

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 12:36 PM Post #17,127 of 18,244
Avalon and Seraph were not great with cymbals. Happy to hear Enigma+ has done better.
Have to disagree here. Cymbals on Avalon are beautifully NATURAL with a uniquely accurate presentation of brass at its best most 'brassy-ness' Profound TONALITY
(Listening to John Martyn - Solid Air Deluxe Edt. Instrumentals)
What the Avalons don't do..to be fair... is elevate that area where the crash and sizzle of cymbals are. Avalons don't in general favour any area of the music/frequencys so everything more or less gets an equal share of the pie.
I can well imagine that the Avalons favour very much the Audiophile listener as opposed to the Music lover.
Ive always found that EST drivers are not out to boast or impress anyone. They are more mature than that. They simply try to offer the most natural true to life tonality they can. If they have a fault I would say it is that they have a gentle sweet softness which I think is what catches the casual listener out at first . . .at first :wink:

Generally speaking I think a 'younger mind' likes more drama, crash, boom, bang where as the more 'mature mind' starts to calm down a bit and listen in a different way.
Some people see and enjoy a forest where as others see a collection of different trees, materials, textures and colour, both enjoyable but both experiencing the same thing in quite a different way.
Im one of those who people who very much hear the difference in cables or better to say what they do well and what they dont do well although its hard to express sometimes what Im hearing as its often clear yet subtle...more about the tonality of instruments etc than anything else
Most of the < $100 cables do have a similar 'taste' to my ears of basically not doing anything special...bit like your average Chifi.
Maybe its just the way and what you listen for in music. Do you listen to music or the audio ?
Its not a blessing but a curse being overly sensitive . . . until you find a perfect synergy and then its pure magic

Feb 3, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #17,128 of 18,244
Have to disagree here. Cymbals on Avalon are beautifully NATURAL with a uniquely accurate presentation of brass at its best most 'brassy-ness' Profound TONALITY
(Listening to John Martyn - Solid Air Deluxe Edt. Instrumentals)
What the Avalons don't do..to be fair... is elevate that area where the crash and sizzle of cymbals are. Avalons don't in general favour any area of the music/frequencys so everything more or less gets an equal share of the pie.
I can well imagine that the Avalons favour very much the Audiophile listener as opposed to the Music lover.
Ive always found that EST drivers are not out to boast or impress anyone. They are more mature than that. They simply try to offer the most natural true to life tonality they can. If they have a fault I would say it is that they have a gentle sweet softness which I think is what catches the casual listener out at first . . .at first :wink:

Generally speaking I think a 'younger mind' likes more drama, crash, boom, bang where as the more 'mature mind' starts to calm down a bit and listen in a different way.
Some people see and enjoy a forest where as others see a collection of different trees, materials, textures and colour, both enjoyable but both experiencing the same thing in quite a different way.
Im one of those who people who very much hear the difference in cables or better to say what they do well and what they dont do well although its hard to express sometimes what Im hearing as its often clear yet subtle...more about the tonality of instruments etc than anything else
Most of the < $100 cables do have a similar 'taste' to my ears of basically not doing anything special...bit like your average Chifi.
Maybe its just the way and what you listen for in music. Do you listen to music or the audio ?
Its not a blessing but a curse being overly sensitive . . . until you find a perfect synergy and then its pure magic
Im going to give Avalon some listening time this week. I always felt the electric guitars and vocals and the basss were amazing . But the cymbals were missing the sweetness and sounded a little like the snare.
Let me investigate the Avalon again this week.

Feb 3, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #17,129 of 18,244
Traded other preorders towards an enigma which made the price palatable.

Listening on blue/blue and compared to titan blue base/ red top, it sounds a lot smoother. Bass is typically IMR deep and textured ootb. Treble is, I think, much smoother. Wrapping my head around mids. Will reserve the right to amend the above following burn in.

a few months ago I was not thrilled about treble on seraph (discussions of cymbals here perplex me as this part of the audible spectrum feels very in your face with seraph to me) and chalked it up to the BAs. Someone suggested that it could be the mems. No peaks on enigma at all and radically different from seraph's treble. Expect this confirms ba problem. Also enigma treble relatively tame and I've put corier tips on to liven it up a bit. That all said, I'm treble shy and over the past few years have been finding where the line is for me. Enigma doesn't cross it, seraph does.

sense of space may be less than titan, layering excellent. Interestingly years ago I was in the single headfi shop in the Netherlands (mixed feelings about this experience) and the owner suggested I try the ve phoenix. At the time my go to was dark matter and I was sort of perplexed why the phoenix sound signature commanded n thousand euros. Mids and treble on the enigma remind me of the phoenix sound quality...accurate and not bombastic. Sounds are placed well and give a sense of a real show...eg cymbals aren't crashing in your ear so you hear every reverberation but sound clear and placed as they would be in life outside of a living room set up.

tough pressed to say whether the enigma or the titan is superior. Will wait for burn in. Going between them while enigma ootb I felt the urge to listen to the enigma every time I put the titans in. Could easily chalk that up to new toyitis.

compared to previous generations (e.g. semper) there's just no comparison. Semper sounds goofy AF with bloated bass to the point of the rest of the audible spectrum is tarnished.

it's really amazing to see imr's evolution in a few short years. If only the business side of things could keep up which , unfortunately, makes or breaks custom.

Feb 3, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #17,130 of 18,244
I remember the discussions.

Yes...

The thing is, the Elan+ was very unforgiving with almost everything else besides my WAV files and when using it with a cable and my Mojo 2. In the majority of the other instances, the cymbals were sounding off, like playing from an old cassette.

Myself and a few other people "dared" to report this here. Just to receive walls of texts as a response, blaming us, our ears, our sources, our files, our recordings.

Well, I can reassure you that the Volür plays everything absolutely fabulously! WAV sounds better, much better even, but the streaming services sound super great, too! Today, I was listening to a song from Globular I happen to have in WAV and right after I listened to the same song on Qobuz (via UAPP). I found it very difficult to spot the differences in the sound quality.
I am always using my GO Pod.

64 Audio has this thing, Linear Impedance Design (LID), which seems to work really-really well!

Linear Impedance Design (LID) is a patented circuit that corrects the non-linear electrical resistance of the multiple driver-sets comprising this 10 driver IEM. Varying source amplifier output impedance in devices like smartphones, body packs, DAC/amps, and DAPs typically results in varying frequency response, depending on the increase in resistance. Restoring proper interaction with the source and preserving the desired sound signature enables a consistent reliable sound.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back