Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mar 10, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #17,566 of 18,240
I gave for a few days my Avalon to a friend who is a loudspeaker and over ear headphone guy.
It blew him away. He is telling me that Avalon is much better than his Focal over ears.
I don't think he has Utopias though, but it gives you an idea how underappreciated quality IEMs are to other audiophiles.
I have the Focal Clear ... and the Elan+. I love them both. Different experiences. I don't think I could say one was better than the other. Both are fantastic for what I need. When I want to feel the bass a bit more and really lock into the music, it's the E+. When I want more of a relaxed escape into the music, it's the Focal. Listening time is probably 50/50, but in any given week it might be 90/10 (and then 10/90 the next week).

But I think you're right that (quality) IEMs may not always get the respect they deserve.

Mar 10, 2024 at 9:11 PM Post #17,567 of 18,240
@mekap

I see in your signature that you own Semper, I have purchased one but I have not received it yet :)

I wanted to ask how it holds up against enigma+ since if I'm not mistaken it is their most advanced creation to date, thank you!

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 9:17 PM Post #17,568 of 18,240
@mekap

I see in your signature that you own Semper, I have purchased one at the attractive price of €400 but I have not received it yet :)

I wanted to ask how it holds up against enigma+ since if I'm not mistaken it is their most advanced creation to date, thank you!
I'll jump in here and say the while Semper was a great IEM in it's day, Enigma is just on another level. Actually it is more like 3 or 4 levels up. I enjoyed Semper when I owned it, but Enigma is simply more advanced and refined.

I will also say that Titan is at the same level as Enigma, with slightly different timing and presentation. IMR has produced some excellent IEMs over the years and keeps getting better.

Mar 11, 2024 at 1:08 AM Post #17,569 of 18,240
I have the Focal Clear ... and the Elan+. I love them both. Different experiences. I don't think I could say one was better than the other. Both are fantastic for what I need. When I want to feel the bass a bit more and really lock into the music, it's the E+. When I want more of a relaxed escape into the music, it's the Focal. Listening time is probably 50/50, but in any given week it might be 90/10 (and then 10/90 the next week).

But I think you're right that (quality) IEMs may not always get the respect they deserve.
And as the technology settles as to what a very competent IEM should contain in terms of drivers, we will see an inevitable price drop.
Truly, even if a high end IEM sounds as great as a multi-kilobuck headphone,I don't see why it should be priced that much.
If (I don't actually know) it costs IMR a fraction of the price they ask for Enigma to make them, it is not only ethical but of market necessity that it'l be more affordable.

Mar 11, 2024 at 6:58 AM Post #17,570 of 18,240
@mekap

I see in your signature that you own Semper, I have purchased one but I have not received it yet :)

I had Semper. I liked Semper, that’s true, but I wanted to move on, I wanted to listen to the new IEMs that Bob presented.
Semper and Enigma+ are completely different settings, Semper sounds more like an old school, and Enigma+ is something new and more advanced.

Mar 11, 2024 at 7:15 AM Post #17,571 of 18,240
Anyone compared Enigma with Enigma+? is there a big difference between the 2 that justify price difference?

Mar 11, 2024 at 10:35 AM Post #17,573 of 18,240
If Titan can compete with Emigma+ (which it does in my opinion), I suspect there isn't a big difference between Enigma and Enigma+.

Mar 12, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #17,574 of 18,240
Do you have the Enigma+ by the way ?
I would love to hear your thoughts on the Enigma.
I mean your reviews are amaaaazzzing !
I dont have Enigma :frowning2: however if you can see to it that a set comes my way I will happily commit to writing an essay about it :)

Mar 13, 2024 at 7:37 AM Post #17,576 of 18,240
Had we atleast been in the same country I would have certainly sent mine over for a thorough checkup 😁
Ahh c'mon, 'we' gave you the railways, the least you could do is send me a tiny iem ? :D

Mar 13, 2024 at 9:34 AM Post #17,578 of 18,240
International Post and Customs are so unreliable at times that I couldn't even if I wanted to.
I just bought a v16 divinity from a head fier in Australia and doubt if it's ever going to reach me.
I was only joking :)
Im sure you'll get your v16

Mar 13, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #17,579 of 18,240
You know. It did pass my mind to propose a lending project among head-fiers.
E.g. I want to try Enigma, If one is keen to send them for a few weeks, I cover shipping and in this manner experiences rotate among minds.
Of course it would require a certain degree of trust....

Mar 13, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #17,580 of 18,240
While waiting for my Enigma to arrive, I have been listening to BC2023 the last few days and I felt in love with it. Everything is very good in this IEM in particular the mids. I have always criticised the mids in IMR IEMs. They are very often laid back to make the bass and the highs the stars of the show. With BC2023, the bass is present, the mids are clear and velvety, the high are excellent and everything is grouped together in an organic and musical tone. I don't see what Enigma can improve over this but I will see in a few days

Users who are viewing this thread

Back