IMR - R1 Thread
Feb 6, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #1,996 of 3,190
Unless you have about 100 hours of burn in I would reserve judgement personally. They are a definite step up over the R1 in my listening tests.

Sorry but I think you're wrong.

I have not said that the Zenith are not good, I said that mine are wrong. If you read well, I have R1 and I know how they should sound!

As for the burn ... I prefer not to comment. The R1 sounded spectacular just out of the box. Like all my good headphones. The bad headphones with 1000 hours of burning continued to sound bad!

And I repeat, my Zenith does not sound bad, is that it is DEFECTIVE!

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #1,997 of 3,190
Not really :relaxed: And I say that because I had the exact same question as @playininjapan but didn't ask because I like to keep TA out of this conversation :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But I get what you are saying about personal taste.

Myself, I find the R1 a little bigger and better at everything over the I3. I think that's immensely impressive because the I3 are fantastic sounding! It's really the ridiculous cable system that keeps me from using them more. But I have them in today (Gold filter, OG silicone tips) and they are sounding pretty darn fine. To me the R1 is an overall upgrade though. But also to me the R1 are so wonderful sounding overall, and comfortable, that I did not feel a need to move from them to a Zenith. Plus the whole per-order situation.

Well for me my Zenith sounds so much better than my R1 I did back seat my R1 behind my Icarus III's! I can still filter out my R1 to sound better than my Icarus III's (I really hate saying better because I really love the way my Icarus III sounds) and I can also put filters and tips on the R1's and they not sound near as good as my Icarus III's. You know source and files also make a big difference as well. I'm OK that you think the R1 is way better than your Icarus III's and I remember Bob telling me the same thing when he sent my R1's and maybe I originally convinced myself the R1 was much better:rolling_eyes: Maybe it's because I consider the Icarus III to be Bob's best effort at TA as it was my fave until he sent the R1 and like I said at first I was pretty taken with it then I got the Zenith and the R1 fell from grace with me and I back door'd it in favor of the Icarus III's:open_mouth: LOL Poddy is a bad man:scream:

Feb 6, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #1,998 of 3,190

I have not said that the Zenith are not good, I said that mine are wrong. If you read well, I have R1 and I know how they should sound!

As for the burn ... I prefer not to comment. The R1 sounded spectacular just out of the box. Like all my good headphones. The bad headphones with 1000 hours of burning continued to sound bad!

What does it sound like? Can you describe it?

Feb 6, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #1,999 of 3,190

If your R1 sounded good out of the box you either have defective hearing or you brought a used B stock pair with hours already on them. It's not even debatable that the R1 sounded good out of the box. They were uncontrolled and lacked any sort of coherence. Just like the zenith. I read perfectly well thanks.
Peace

Feb 6, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #2,000 of 3,190
I received mine today. Out of the box the channels seemed unbalanced (left side was noticeably louder), but now they seem fine - I just left them playing for a couple of hours.
Lets see how they sound in 3/4 days. Until now, I couldn't be happier with these (they look gorgeous, at least in my opinion, and they are really comfortable) and with the IMR's customer service. I will save my impressions on the sound for later.

I love the option to open the IEM. It's really perfect for me. :)

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #2,001 of 3,190
Actually, I'm using this "burn-in track" in loop that should accelerate the burn-in process. Tomorrow it'll be over 50 hours of playing and we'll see!

Feb 6, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #2,002 of 3,190
Let us all reserve judgement until we receive the replacement pair. It doesn't seem fair to judge at this stage. If Bob is testing all the ones being sent out (which I suspect he is) and we burn in properly, then it will be a fair comparison.

Feb 6, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #2,003 of 3,190
Let us all reserve judgement until we receive the replacement pair. It doesn't seem fair to judge at this stage. If Bob is testing all the ones being sent out (which I suspect he is) and we burn in properly, then it will be a fair comparison.

Actually I'm waiting for some statements from Bob way more than a new pair. I just like to know if he discovered more problems or it was just a problem with the inverted pins, because he said there were also issues on filters and filter port. But I'm pretty sure he'll deliver as usual!

Feb 6, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #2,004 of 3,190
I turned the right connector and the sound has improved but it still does not sound as good as it should ...
I hope Bob does not take long to send the replacement ... although I have the R1 to make the wait sweeter... :relaxed:

Feb 6, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #2,007 of 3,190
Actually I'm waiting for some statements from Bob way more than a new pair. I just like to know if he discovered more problems or it was just a problem with the inverted pins, because he said there were also issues on filters and filter port. But I'm pretty sure he'll deliver as usual!

I've been communicating with Bob as well and he assured me the only problem was the builder put some of the 2 pin connectors in backwards, let's don't start a fire storm over something else that has not been proven or shown to be an issue here. I'm guessing the statement(s) your waiting for will be what I've just said.

@mdtolic , each of his IMR releases and most of his TA releases have been an improvement over their predecessor's. I can't speak for Air's and Hunters because I never got on those trains as I saw trouble already on the tracks at TA! I can tell you and still feel the Icarus III was his best TA release that I got. Yes the R1 was a step up on the Icarus III but also a whole new animal in configuration:wink: Then once again he delivered on the promise that the Zenith was a much improved R1 which by my old ears it is in every way:thumbsup:

Feb 6, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #2,008 of 3,190
If your R1 sounded good out of the box you either have defective hearing or you brought a used B stock pair with hours already on them. It's not even debatable that the R1 sounded good out of the box. They were uncontrolled and lacked any sort of coherence. Just like the zenith. I read perfectly well thanks.
Peace
Sound preference is subjective and burn in I won't even go there because it's one of those can of worms you don't even want to open in this thread.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #2,009 of 3,190
I've been communicating with Bob as well and he assured me the only problem was the builder put some of the 2 pin connectors in backwards, let's don't start a fire storm over something else that has not been proven or shown to be an issue here. I'm guessing the statement(s) your waiting for will be what I've just said.

@mdtolic , each of his IMR releases and most of his TA releases have been an improvement over their predecessor's. I can't speak for Air's and Hunters because I never got on those trains as I saw trouble already on the tracks at TA! I can tell you and still feel the Icarus III was his best TA release that I got. Yes the R1 was a step up on the Icarus III but also a whole new animal in configuration:wink: Then once again he delivered on the promise that the Zenith was a much improved R1 which by my old ears it is in every way:thumbsup:

I have been in contact with Bob and he said me more or less the same thing. It's my first time dealing with Bob and, until now, IMR has by far the best customer support that I have found in this industry. The guy is going to offer a second unit to EVERYONE who bought this IEM just because one of the builders put some of the 2 pin connectors in backwards, give him a break.

I bet that no one was expecting this offer. I sure wasn't. At least show some appreciation. I am really glad that I am going to receive this gift from IMR.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #2,010 of 3,190
When I received the zenith, it was like the next picture.

AF1QipOufB1GQWsyDzbTNQ8Vks4B5ba3GeSee1qa1_Hj

Curious, I just opened my set to reverse the right unit pins and the coloured wire in the right is blue whilst in the left is green. It seems like it is the opposite in yours?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back