IMR - R1 Thread
Aug 22, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #1,037 of 3,190
Got the AZLA SednaEarfit tips yesterdayfrom Amazon.JP (a day early, btw!). I had been enjoying the sound with the Spiraldots, orange filter (black and blue were just a bit too crunchy/hot in the upper mids/lower treble for me) and was quite happy with the R1s. I had also switched to a Chinese silver/copper 8-core 4.4mm cable, which sounded good, and is quite supple.

The SednaEarfits (size L) fit me even better than the Spiraldots, and took the sound to another level. The sound was denser, richer, more lush, without the tonal balance becoming dark. Gone was the slight glare/grit/grain crunchyness and in its place, the members of Earth Wind and Fire performing 'in front of me'. There was a great deal more musically relevant information/detail, more texture overall. It reminnded me of my Kaede iems, which have that 'topographical' presentation of detail and texture.The illusion became more complete-think about the difference between watching a video of a playand watching the same play, but LIVE, in person.

I have very large, ellipsoidal, ear canals with a very sharp, first bend, and I listen to music in a very different way than many Head-Fiers seem to. I think I am much more sensitive to time-domain than frequency-response (amplitude) issues. I really have no way to measure what these tips are doing-whether it's the stem damping any vibration in the iems/filer nozzles, the seal, less occlusion of the bore or ear canal, or something else-but I am very happy with these. I just think they are more coherent and natural-sounding with these tips, in my ears. Or, to put it more simply.... "Mongo LIKE candy!"

I am going to try one of the more treble-y sets of filters to see what happens, but I am very happy now.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #1,038 of 3,190
Got the AZLA SednaEarfit tips yesterdayfrom Amazon.JP (a day early, btw!). I had been enjoying the sound with the Spiraldots, orange filter (black and blue were just a bit too crunchy/hot in the upper mids/lower treble for me) and was quite happy with the R1s. I had also switched to a Chinese silver/copper 8-core 4.4mm cable, which sounded good, and is quite supple.

The SednaEarfits (size L) fit me even better than the Spiraldots, and took the sound to another level. The sound was denser, richer, more lush, without the tonal balance becoming dark. Gone was the slight glare/grit/grain crunchyness and in its place, the members of Earth Wind and Fire performing 'in front of me'. There was a great deal more musically relevant information/detail, more texture overall. It reminnded me of my Kaede iems, which have that 'topographical' presentation of detail and texture.The illusion became more complete-think about the difference between watching a video of a playand watching the same play, but LIVE, in person.

I have very large, ellipsoidal, ear canals with a very sharp, first bend, and I listen to music in a very different way than many Head-Fiers seem to. I think I am much more sensitive to time-domain than frequency-response (amplitude) issues. I really have no way to measure what these tips are doing-whether it's the stem damping any vibration in the iems/filer nozzles, the seal, less occlusion of the bore or ear canal, or something else-but I am very happy with these. I just think they are more coherent and natural-sounding with these tips, in my ears. Or, to put it more simply.... "Mongo LIKE candy!"

I am going to try one of the more treble-y sets of filters to see what happens, but I am very happy now.

Nice, glad you found a perfect combination for your circumstances, good luck with the upper range filters:thumbsup: "Mongo like Sheriff Bart" too:wink:

Aug 22, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #1,041 of 3,190
I just recieved these and I think they’re probably one of the best phones I’ve ever listened to (refer to my personal rankings list in the Rank IEM threads).

For 100% open port:

I personally like the filters as follow:

1. Black (so much fun and energy)
2. Blue (very clean, even and enjoyable sound)
3. Pink (Nice bass and mids ratio. Highs still there. Easy going.)
4. Orange (warm and smooth. Comfortable sound)
5. Copper (sounds is too uneven)

Using Symbio N tips. Driven by Cayin N5ii.

Some overall thoughts:
- they’re comfortable despite looking like tanks
- cable can be tamed. Reminds me of my Etymotic ER4SR cable
- the clarity, imaging, sound stage and space is very similar to my Andromeda. I like it a lot. Very surprising for two DD.
- incredibly fast attack. Perfect amount of decay.
- unique house sound
- basically, a bargain if you can get it as B-stock. I’d value them at like USD800.

For 100% closed port, I prefer the following:

1. Pink filter (very even and flat sound. Nice and pleasant to listen to).
2. Copper filter (oodles of sub-bass)
3. Orange filter (nice and warm sound. Very comfortable)
4. Black filter (good attack but confined. Imo, benefits best from the open port)
5. Blue filter (best treble, but a little bright)

Some thoughts about closed port:
- 100% open port is almost better in every way except for copper and orange filters
- sound stage is smaller and more congested
- imaging is inferior
- bass response improves

Very nice compliment to my line up. Don’t have a lot of $ so I buy what I can. Got them used here. Very happy with them :)

I also have some additional odd coloured filters that the seller provided me with. Testing them now:

BDFF11E0-EE7F-41EF-8D81-DEAECFA710F0.jpeg 0A766B06-BFCA-493F-86D7-E838DE17E78E.jpeg

Some are “blocked” in the back which makes them more complicated.

Attachments

• E31F7D89-F696-4EE0-95E6-97F0F9F3A5BB.jpeg
    E31F7D89-F696-4EE0-95E6-97F0F9F3A5BB.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • EDF9FC1E-39CE-4434-988C-E95C0A9E3F57.jpeg
    EDF9FC1E-39CE-4434-988C-E95C0A9E3F57.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 23, 2018 at 5:27 AM Post #1,042 of 3,190
Any big trance/techno listeners with the R1s? Would love to hear your opinions?

I was considering (hoping to demo) the beyer Xenlento or akt81e before the R1s caught my attention. Also considering the CA Polaris but all of the above are at least twice the price of the R1

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2018 at 5:39 AM Post #1,043 of 3,190
Used to have the AKT8ie (both versions) and the treble is possibly a little soft and delicate compared to the R1 for the sort of genres you are looking at. The Beyer is an excellent sounding IEM though - never heard the Xelento, but I believe they are a little brighter?

R1 definitely capable of more bass quantity and slam than the AKT8ie.

Aug 23, 2018 at 6:27 AM Post #1,044 of 3,190
I just recieved these and I think they’re probably one of the best phones I’ve ever listened to (refer to my personal rankings list in the Rank IEM threads).

I personally like the filters as follow:

1. Black (so much fun and energy)
2. Blue (very clean, even and enjoyable sound)
3. Pink (Nice bass and mids ratio. Highs still there. Easy going.)
4. Orange (warm and smooth. Comfortable sound)
5. Copper (sounds is too uneven)

100% closed port only. Haven’t tested open port. Using Symbio N tips. Driven by Cayin N5ii.

Some overall thoughts:
- they’re comfortable despite looking like tanks
- cable can be tamed. Reminds me of my Etymotic ER4SR cable
- the clarity, imaging, sound stage and space is very similar to my Andromeda. I like it a lot. Very surprising for two DD.
- incredibly fast attack. Perfect amount of decay.
- unique house sound
- basically, a bargain if you can get it as B-stock. I’d value them at like USD800.

Very nice compliment to my line up. Don’t have a lot of $ so I buy what I can. Got them used here. Very happy with them :)

I also have some additional odd coloured filters that the seller provided me with. Testing them now:

Haven’t even tried the other filters yet because Black is soooo satisfying. Or open ports because I’m listening at night next to my wife (to a lot of death metal among other things :ksc75smile:). Very much with you on your observations. These do sound much better than my Nuforce HEM8 (original retail price 600€} and I haven’t A/B’d properly but they seem technically ever so slightly superior to the already excellent Klipsch x20i (same price approx.). Also a great complement to other iems as you say, since these sound so special. They are the closest iem I’ve heard to my beloved but very much full-sized Pandora Hope VI cans - less of a torrent of sound though, more gritty. At 260€ for A+ b-stock that is virtually indistinguishable from new, just with a shorter warranty, and given these are built to sustain a a ballistic assault, I can’t believe my luck.

Two questions:
- you mention using N Symbio tips. I just ordered some W. How do the N fit the nozzle? Do you think the W will be too wide? I’d love to try these tips with the R1.
- what is the DEAL with these strange filters? Prototype stuff from earlier production runs? Do let us know more about what they are and what they sound like!

Aug 23, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #1,045 of 3,190

Those extra filters are from a pair of phones from the company Bob was affiliated with before IMR. I think the Icarus III specifically. They will fit the R1. It's a bit overkill, imo. Green and Gold are my faves of that bunch. If youre interested in reading about that cluster-f of a situation it's easy to find with a search or in the early posts of this thread even. Please though, lets not bring it up again now because things often turn ugly fast when it does. Let's stay focused on these wonderful IMR R1s.

Aug 23, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #1,046 of 3,190
Those extra filters are from a pair of phones from the company Bob was affiliated with before IMR. I think the Icarus III specifically. They will fit the R1. It's a bit overkill, imo. Green and Gold are my faves of that bunch. If youre interested in reading about that cluster-f of a situation it's easy to find with a search or in the early posts of this thread even. Please though, lets not bring it up again now because things often turn ugly fast when it does. Let's stay focused on these wonderful IMR R1s.

Great! No drama intended. I asked the seller here and he told me he tracked them down from another IEM. End of story.

Honestly, I listen to a lot of English rock and these are probably my favourite IEMs ever for my genre of music and playlist. The level of clarity, separation, imaging, attack, staging and timbre is absolutely perfect for bands like Radiohead, Led Zeppelin, Arctic Monkeys and Fleetwood Mac. The R1 portrays the genre perfectly with incredible instrument and vocals cohesiveness. I'm stunned my music can sound this good. My setup is Symbio N eartips (fits perfectly), stock cable (I like the sturdiness actually, despite having custom cables) and Cayin N5ii (which is a warm-neutralish DAP).

They kind of remind of the Campfire Audio Atlas except without the recessed mids, overbearing bass (I use black filters), and forward lower treble. Not only that, it looks better (love the design), is more versatile (filters change the sound quite a bit), and is more comfortable (incredibly ergonomic despite not looking it).

IMR did a great job with these :) I might have to start letting some of my other IEMs go now because I may have found my "end game". They just vibe.

Aug 23, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #1,047 of 3,190
Haven’t even tried the other filters yet because Black is soooo satisfying. Or open ports because I’m listening at night next to my wife (to a lot of death metal among other things :ksc75smile:). Very much with you on your observations. These do sound much better than my Nuforce HEM8 (original retail price 600€} and I haven’t A/B’d properly but they seem technically ever so slightly superior to the already excellent Klipsch x20i (same price approx.). Also a great complement to other iems as you say, since these sound so special. They are the closest iem I’ve heard to my beloved but very much full-sized Pandora Hope VI cans - less of a torrent of sound though, more gritty. At 260€ for A+ b-stock that is virtually indistinguishable from new, just with a shorter warranty, and given these are built to sustain a a ballistic assault, I can’t believe my luck.

Two questions:
- you mention using N Symbio tips. I just ordered some W. How do the N fit the nozzle? Do you think the W will be too wide? I’d love to try these tips with the R1.
- what is the DEAL with these strange filters? Prototype stuff from earlier production runs? Do let us know more about what they are and what they sound like!

The Symbio N fits the nozzle perfectly. No wiggle room or anything.

I prefer the N over the W as it seems to match the stock tips more. N has a narrower bore which obviously means less air and a better bass response. W has a bigger bore which means more of the sound comes through, making it more balanced. However, I've only really tried the N so far so I can't comment on how the W sounds (just theoretically). I'm just so satisfied with the black filters + my tips right now that I haven't bothered switching.

I can imagine the Symbio W + Blue filters + 100% open port sounding very pleasant. Should provide a very open and balanced sound.

Aug 23, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #1,048 of 3,190
Any big trance/techno listeners with the R1s? Would love to hear your opinions?

I was considering (hoping to demo) the beyer Xenlento or akt81e before the R1s caught my attention. Also considering the CA Polaris but all of the above area at least twice the price of the R1

Not sure if this will help you in your decision at all but I sure love my "Infected Mushroom" on my R1's:)

Aug 23, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #1,050 of 3,190
DA4B41F6-40A1-42C9-898C-E9DB1693F586.jpeg
6FC6C5ED-4F74-41A4-A0BC-D5CE1FABC3BD.jpeg

Storing my R1 in a yellow Pelican case. I think it fits the design and theme.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back