In search of even better sound
Feb 11, 2013 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Audioscope

100+ Head-Fier
I have a set of Beyer DT990 250ohm cans and recently bought a set of MDR-1RNC also.  With both headphones, I am listening to them through a MisterX M^3 amp with sigma6 power supply.  The sound is very detailed, and not too digital at all.  I like it, especially with my DT990.  The source is a Marantz CD player.

But, the hifi bug bites again.  Where do I go from here to get even better sound?  Should I upgrade my cans, amp, or something else?

Feb 11, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 4
Looks to me like you're set.  If you like it, count your blessings.  You're done.  Put wallet away.

Quote:
I have a set of Beyer DT990 250ohm cans and recently bought a set of MDR-1RNC also.  With both headphones, I am listening to them through a MisterX M^3 amp with sigma6 power supply.  The sound is very detailed, and not too digital at all.  I like it, especially with my DT990.  The source is a Marantz CD player.

But, the hifi bug bites again.  Where do I go from here to get even better sound?  Should I upgrade my cans, amp, or something else?

Feb 11, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Heya,

Depends on what you're looking for.

To make it worth while to spend the money, the next step would be to leave mid-fi and step into the highend arena. Even then that doesn't mean you'll like the sound more. It's just if you want a technical upgrade. Enjoyment upgrade is strictly personal and preference driven. From your current setup, you could move into high end orthos, like the LCD2 or HE500 for a very reasonable cost. Alternatively you could dance with some dynamics like the T1 or HD800. That's assuming you want open air headphones. If you want something to compliment that is also an upgrade, but closed back for a different change of pace, look to the Mr Speakers Mad Dog with Alpha Pads.

Very best,

Feb 17, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #4 of 4
I have just sold off some headphones that were technically good, but I did not like the sound signature of.  These included the Fischer Audio DBA-02 and the Audio Technica ATH-M50.  The DBA-02 was lacking in bass and the sound was too digital for me.  The ATH-M50 does everything quite competently, but I did not like the sound signature and the tinny treble.  

How does the sound of the orthos compare to high end dynamic cans[size=small]?  I have always been curious about the LCD2.  Would I need a new accompanying amp to complement that setup[/size][size=small]?[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back