Increasing the sound value of iems.
Nov 8, 2013 at 1:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

h1a8

500+ Head-Fier

I hope this doesn’t hurt sales for headphone makers. I just want to help out the community with my findings.

Now many iems owe their sound mostly to how they are tuned and very little to how they are built acoustically. In other words, many iems have been equalized beforehand.  Knowing this, I attempted to equalize certain headphones to make them sound better. I succeeded.

The key is a great equalizer (such as the Walkman app for android). For example, I made the quite so not burned in Monster Turbine Pro Copper sound several times better by setting clear bass to -3, both the 1kHz and 2.5kHz to +8, and the 6k to +3. They sound totally different, clearer with punchier bass, etc.
Then I made the TDK ba200 sound even better by setting the clear bass to +3 and both the 1khz and 2.5khz to +3.

If you compare the sound of these headphones under the given equalized settings then they will sound as good as or better than most unequalized iems under $400.
Just to be sure can someone who has the Coppers or the BA200 with Walkman app installed try the above settings. I need a sanity check here. Just for reference I owned the sm3, fx700, ie8, ie7, denon d2000, ath ad900, se530, and some more that I can’t remember and yet this setup sound on the level of those I just mentioned and even better than many of them. Maybe I’m wrong, but I would like others to try and report back.

Here are some good settings for certain types of iems:
1.       For headphones that need a little bass boost with a touch more clearer and more forward mids please try the setting: Clear bass,  1kHz, and 2.5Khz all +3
2.       If bass is to your liking but you would like the headphones to be more clear in the vocals and slightly more forward then try: 1kHz and 2.5KHz to +3.
3.       If bass is a little muddy or too much and vocals are not as clear as you like then try: clear bass (-6 to -3 depending on how muddy they are) and 1kHz and 2.5kHz to +3.
4.       If iems are extremely muddy and veiled sounding then try: clear bass -6, 1kHz and 2.5kHz to +8 and 6kHz to +3.

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #2 of 8
You should really look at viper4android if you want ultimate sound tuning...you can custom frequency response tuning files and import them into the app, which provides more accurate tuning then by a band equalizer. Bass and treble enhancements as well as surround effects and many more are included. By far the most essential app for android users and audiophiles alike. Its turned my xb90ex into clear and crisp bass monsters.

Nov 8, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #3 of 8
There are a few thing you have to consider: sound is a very subjective topic. What you consider like hi quality might sound awful for others. 
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to burn your work or your perception, its just a matter of taste and that's why there are no perfect headphones, frequency response or proper sound presentation. 

Post your impressions in the following threads
http://www.head-fi.org/t/470614/monster-turbine-pro-copper
http://www.head-fi.org/t/584123/tdk-ba200-impressions-and-appreciation-thread

Nov 8, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #4 of 8
For the longest time, I looked over EQ of any kind, thinking of myself as a purist so to speak.  I'm slowly starting to understand the effects of EQ and how to manipulate the sound like the OP has shared.  Understanding the changes that happens within each frequency range can save a lot money on what could end up as unnecessary equipment.  Knowing them also helps understand those frequency graphs.  I find that the most experienced and trusted equipment reviewers understands this.

Nov 8, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #5 of 8
In my experience the frequency response determines at least 50% of the total sound quality.

That's half of the sound quality that you can easily manipulate via EQ.

If you own a rooted Android device, you need Viper4Android.

Follow Joe Bloggs' guide and you can tune the FR to your liking with a parametric EQ.

Nov 8, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #7 of 8
  All the ViPER4Android apps in the google play store were in some asian language... no english...Do I download it and then change a language setting?

You can get it from the official site in English: http://vipersaudio.com/blog/?page_id=48

There's also a thread on XDA-developers with more detailed info: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2191223

You do need your phone rooted but depending on what phone you have, it's generally a pretty easy process.

Nov 8, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #8 of 8
I have a MetroPCS Galaxy S3, I'm kind of tentative about rooting, but the crappy battery life among other annoyances will eventually force my hand. 

I'll see if there are any decent equalizers without rooting, first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back