Inexpensive Comfortable Headphones
Jan 5, 2014 at 3:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

soundisee

100+ Head-Fier
I currently own ATHM50's with velour pads but they don't seem right, the pads slide off and the quality of sound isn't there compared to the stock pads. That being said I'm looking for a new pair of headphones that are comfortable right out of the box and require no headphone amp to power them properly. These will be used mainly for long hours of gaming and listening to music.

I was thinking about Sennheiser 419's, are these as comfortable as 598's? I have never used any Sennheiser headphones before so I'm unaware of how they sound or feel.

Jan 5, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #2 of 11
The beyerdynamic DT660s are fairly flat, closed headphones with velour pads from the factory and are very comfortable. Low impedence and fairly cheap. Definitely worth looking at if you want closed comfy headphones.

Jan 6, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #7 of 11
My only concern is comfort really, it doesn't need to be better or worse than the M50. Looking at the UE6000's they look like they use pleather or something, doesn't that mean they will make me sweat just like the m50's do? Also, I don't want to have to modify any headphones so buying a pair and swapping out velour pads is something I don't want to do again.

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #9 of 11
In that case, the Citiscape Uptown and MDR 7506 should be considered.

Stretch out the head band to loosen the pressure on the m50.

I stretched them for over a year now and I still can't wear them for more than 10 minutes without getting irritated, I really don't know how people can wear them for long hours. I've never heard of those Citiscapes being comfortable, I'm thinking about just spending more $ to get sennheiser or beyer's if these are really my only options.

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #10 of 11
That's really what I wanted to say but at $100, options are scarce. In general, open cans are more comfortable (HD558, MDR MA900, DT880). The MDR 1R is known for its comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back