inline volume control
Sep 2, 2017 at 7:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Danielbea122

100+ Head-Fier
I have rf interference in my amp so I need a volume control between my amp and cans this way I can put the amp in another area away from the interference. My concern is will it hurt the SQ? If so do you guys know of one that wont murder SQ?

Sep 2, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #2 of 9
A volume control between your amp and headphone is equivalent to adding output impedance to the amp, which you don't normally want. It would technically be better to use a preamp, DAC, or software volume control.

Sep 2, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #5 of 9
What is the amp next to that is giving so much interference? What amp?

Sep 2, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #6 of 9
What is the amp next to that is giving so much interference? What amp?

The TV and PC. Its an ifi ican se.

its a cb radio causing the problem so I was going to try and move it to another area of the house. I did read that the ifi dac has a chip that is known to have RF problems so maybe the amp has an internal problem. I know the amp doesnt have a chip but maybe something else.

Sep 2, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #7 of 9
Yes I believe that would cause a problem. If they are in close proximity it very could well be a problem. Moving them and everything else away from the cb radio would be better for audio quality.

Sep 2, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #8 of 9
A passive preamp has no electronics and won't compromise the sound. I have the Schiit SYS, but the JDS Labs OL Switcher is also affordable. But you would put it between your DAC and the amp. If your goal is to have the amp further away from your listening position, a headphone extension cable could work.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #9 of 9
A passive preamp has no electronics and won't compromise the sound. I have the Schiit SYS, but the JDS Labs OL Switcher is also affordable. But you would put it between your DAC and the amp. If your goal is to have the amp further away from your listening position, a headphone extension cable could work.

ok. at this point ifi customer support thinks i might have a faulty unit so I am sending it back for another one under warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back