Integrating balanced jack 3.5mm
Jul 21, 2022 at 7:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Ollielol

New Head-Fier
Dear audiophiles,

At first nice to meet you all guys, I'm just new on the forum and hopefully a venerable community member in the future.

I have a little question.
I want to transform my 'normal' headphone into a headphone that can handle a
balanced signal. My headhphone now has only one 3-pole 3.5mm jack. I already bought
a 4-pole 3.5mm jack. Now I want to buy a cable with a 4.4mm male plug to a 3.5mm 4-pole male plug.
However I have seen that this cable is not a regular cable that is on the market.
Now my question is as follows:

Why is this setup so unusual for regular headphones ?
Do you know suppliers that make this cable ?
Do you guys maybe know a better alternative for my case ? (I still only want to
have a cable to only one of my headphone-cubs).

Thanks in advance,

With kind regards,
Ollie

Jul 21, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #2 of 3
Why is this setup so unusual for regular headphones ?
Because most devices (phones, tablets, PCs laptops etc) use amplification with a common ground for both L and R signals.
It's just a cheaper solution that's been a global audio standard for decades.

Do you know suppliers that make this cable ?
aliexpress - search for "3.5mm TRRS DIY" should bring up MANY options.

Jul 21, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #3 of 3
Now I want to buy a cable with a 4.4mm male plug to a 3.5mm 4-pole male plug.
However I have seen that this cable is not a regular cable that is on the market.
It's rare because 3.5mm is generally used for single-ended. Having different shapes and sizes (2.5mm, 3.5mm, 4.4mm, RCA, XLR) prevents people from damaging their equipment by plugging the wrong things into the wrong places. Using 3.5mm for both balanced and single-ended risks plugging single-ended headphones into a balanced amp... which could cause a short.

That said, the Oppo PM-3 can use a 3.5mm balanced cable. Search "Oppo PM-3 balanced cable" and you should find many options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back