Interconnect cable DIY
Sep 4, 2017 at 12:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Modulateur-75

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I would like to make myself a short interconnect cable between a preamp and an amp.
I plan to use a high quality copper cable I use for speakers. Something like this :

s-l300.jpg

And good RCA plugs. I know that there will be no shielding but still I would like to try this.

I have been searching for info for a long time and haven't found any answer... So here is my question : what should I solder on the RCA plug? Do I need 2 or 3 cables for this?

Thanks !! :)

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #2 of 9
Hi all,

I would like to make myself a short interconnect cable between a preamp and an amp.
I plan to use a high quality copper cable I use for speakers. Something like this :

s-l300.jpg

And good RCA plugs. I know that there will be no shielding but still I would like to try this.

I have been searching for info for a long time and haven't found any answer... So here is my question : what should I solder on the RCA plug? Do I need 2 out 3 cables for this?

Thanks !! :)

You need a dual core cable, one for positive and one for the sleeve which is the negative/ground.

Soldering-Wire-RCA-Plug.jpg

Oct 21, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #6 of 9
Ive made a handful of interconnects using cheaper copper with mixed results, some sounding particularly bad but as with most things you get what you pay for and the more you spend on the cable the better it tends to be.

Oct 23, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #8 of 9
Hi,
Have you tried simple hq copper cable in the configuration of interconnection between a preamp and an amp? What have you noticed?
Thanks
For long RCA cables, it's end-to-end resistance of the shield that matters most. There can be a 20dB noise difference between a good shield and a poor one.
The actual difference between conductor copper's is trivial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back