Into the future? Modded Squeezebox 3
Dec 2, 2005 at 5:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

dcguy73

Formerly known as dc_guy
Did anyone else on HeadFi go for the Red Wine Audio-modded Squeezebox 3 package deal (ended Nov. 30)? Basically it's an analog/digital upgrade + battery power supply. I jumped at the deal, but now I'm having second thoughts...I'm relatively happy with my Airport Express-to-Monarchy DIP-to-Ack-Dack-2.0 setup but I was hoping for an upgrade...and being able to skip the Monarchy would be a bonus...

But I'm kinda scared I might have jumped the gun Rumors are that Apple is coming out with a home theater version of the (Intel) mac mini in January and that it will have a digital out, so oops, there's the next generation equipment.

Did anybody else pick up the RMA modded SB3?
blink.gif

Dec 2, 2005 at 6:31 AM Post #2 of 3
Don't worry. You did good. All these devices (Squeezebox, Transit, Airport, etc) are mass-market products that benefit tremendouly from well-executed mods.

The biggest improvement happens to come from battery power IME.

I have a feeling you are in for a BIG surprise.

In the worst case scenario, I'm sure you will have no problem reselling SB3, maybe even for a profit since you bought at discounted price.

Dec 2, 2005 at 2:50 PM Post #3 of 3
I ordered one as well. But I'm only getting the analog audio out mods only. I'll probably send it back after I get back from across the globe for the rest of the mods. But for now the audio-only mods should do the trick. I don't think you have to worry, it was such a great deal that if you're not happy with it you can always re-sell it here or on AudioCircle. When I realized he was selling the audio modded version for only $78 more than what a normal one would cost I had to jump on it. I'll be interested to hear your impressions.

Also, did the Monarchy help the Airport? I was thinking of getting one for my M-Audio Transit.....of course, with the Squeezebox coming it would probably get relegated to a second system. That can probably wait until I get back in a year.

Todd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back