Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Sep 28, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #211 of 3,158
Great feedback everyone, I am curious as to which source you’re using with the CL2 and check this against treble brightness and generally perceived signature?

Aside from source signature synergy, I think there is also an element of how good they’re driven and it must affect the signature, I know the LCD i4 was quite a different story when driven well I suspect CL2 is no different.

So we’ve got WA8 and DX150 (which amp?), what else?

Also how loud are you typically listening?

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #212 of 3,158
Great feedback everyone, I am curious as to which source you’re using with the CL2 and check this against treble brightness and generally perceived signature?

Aside from source signature synergy, I think there is also an element of how good they’re driven and it must affect the signature, I know the LCD i4 was quite a different story when driven well I suspect CL2 is no different.

DX150+amp7, iPod Touch + Mojo, iPad Pro. They require a bit more juice than Xelento but not by much. Got great sound from all three sources, of course the iPad behind the other 2:wink:

Sep 28, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #213 of 3,158

I am running these balanced on the sony NW-ZX300. I am listening medium low volume, no reason to turn these up with the great isolation.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #214 of 3,158
Well due to all the excitement around these, I just pulled the trigger. Got the last pair from 46 Audio in NY.
With so much hype, I even sprung for overnight shipping. Will arrive tomorrow.

Can someone chime in and let me know how I need to "burn" these in?
Do I just let the run randomly for hours ? At what volume? And any specific genres?
Thanks in advance.
I would do at least 20 hours.
I played edm, at 25% higher than listening volume.
Actually my set has been running continuously for 76 hours now.
I listen to them, and when I am done they keep playing at the before mentioned higher volume.
My sony ZX300 is also new, so they are both getting the burn. Sony recommends 200 hours for their player for optimum sound quality.

Sep 28, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #215 of 3,158
Found some old Klipsch x11i tips, I love them, most comfortable tips with greatest isolation on the planet IMHO. The tips are oval instead of round with a bit of dome so they work great for different shaped ear canals. I got them on the CL2's and they work wonders. No slipping at all. No fear these will fall out.

Another four hrs of burn, and with the tip change these are sounding awesome. I've been running them out of an old iPhone 6 with no eq preset, and 3.5 mm cable for burn in. The bass is still not as deep as the IE800, but it isn't lacking at all. I swear I can feel it in my bones at times. The mids, sound great, again no complaints at all. The highs have calmed down. They are neither to bright or to lacking. The compliment the bass just perfectly. I wouldn't say I'm hearing things I've never heard before, but I would say these little beauties can compete with just about any full size can I have ever heard and send most home crying. Soundstage is wide, and it encircles you, definitely feel like I'm in the front row.

The cable is a generous length, I'm just shy of 6 feet and the cable almost reaches the ground with the IEM's in my ears. It is a nice thick cable that has a twist, no complaints here.

I don't know if these are the best sounding planar magnetic IEM's I have ever heard, but they are damn close. You can't go wrong here, as long as you can get a good fitting tip for your ear. I really really like these CL2's and would HIGHLY recommend them anyone looking for a great sounding planer IEM

Sep 28, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #216 of 3,158
Found some old Klipsch x11i tips, I love them, most comfortable tips with greatest isolation on the planet IMHO. The tips are oval instead of round with a bit of dome so they work great for different shaped ear canals. I got them on the CL2's and they work wonders. No slipping at all. No fear these will fall out.

Another four hrs of burn, and with the tip change these are sounding awesome. I've been running them out of an old iPhone 6 with no eq preset, and 3.5 mm cable for burn in. The bass is still not as deep as the IE800, but it isn't lacking at all. I swear I can feel it in my bones at times. The mids, sound great, again no complaints at all. The highs have calmed down. They are neither to bright or to lacking. The compliment the bass just perfectly. I wouldn't say I'm hearing things I've never heard before, but I would say these little beauties can compete with just about any full size can I have ever heard and send most home crying. Soundstage is wide, and it encircles you, definitely feel like I'm in the front row.

The cable is a generous length, I'm just shy of 6 feet and the cable almost reaches the ground with the IEM's in my ears. It is a nice thick cable that has a twist, no complaints here.

I don't know if these are the best sounding planar magnetic IEM's I have ever heard, but they are damn close. You can't go wrong here, as long as you can get a good fitting tip for your ear. I really really like these CL2's and would HIGHLY recommend them anyone looking for a great sounding planer IEM
Are you only running them through the iphone?
Do you have a balanced out player?
These scale up a lot.
I went back to my cowon plenue d, and I couldn't do more than 5 minutes. Had to go back to my sony in a hurry.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #217 of 3,158
I've been using an iPhone 6 for the burn in and listening at the moment, no amp. I plugged them in a Shanling M0 for a few tracks again no amp. I did plug them into a Oppo Ha 2 amp with iPod as the source, for two tracks they sounded much better but I was, and still am doing burn in with the iPhone.

For burnin I have been using a combination of two apps on my old iPhone "Audio Breakin" which does white noise, and "BurninLab" which plays a range of sweeps, along with a range of music. Classical, rock, a few pop songs and some metal, and last but not least the blues. Volume is around 75% now but I started out around 50% and when I listen to them I turn it down to 50%.

Sep 28, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #218 of 3,158
Oh my goodness, the source is critical to CL2! I finished 27 hours of burn in with WA8 with satisfying highs and lows(too much bass!!). I feel like needing to switch to other source to test it so I switched to DP-X1. To my surprise, it sounded so plain and dull! It is like DP-X1 is not able to drive it properly. I then realized, when playing with WA8, I have to turn the volume all the way to 2/10. I rarely turn the volume this high. For comparison purpose, my T1 is 600ohm and I turn WA8 volume to 3/10 to get a satisfying listen. When listening to Andromeda, I rarely turn more than 1/10. However, I have to use 2/10 for CL2!! I listen to Utopia at 1.5/10!

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #219 of 3,158
Oh my goodness, the source is critical to CL2! I finished 27 hours of burn in with WA8 with satisfying highs and lows(too much bass!!). I feel like needing to switch to other source to test so I switched DP-X1. To my surprise, it sounds so plain and dull! It is like DP-X1 is not able to drive it properly. I then realized, when playing with WA8, I have to turn the volume all the way to 2/10. I rarely turn the volume this high. For comparison purpose, my T1 is 600ohm and I turn WA8 volume to 3/10 to get a satisfying listen. When listening to Andromeda, I rarely turn more than 1/10. However, I have to use 2/10 for CL2!! I listen to Utopia at 1.5/10!
I am also running my zx300 at high gain. Sound level 75.
Listening to Estas tonne "place of the gods". And it is a downright religious experience. Pure joy.

Sep 28, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #220 of 3,158
No balanced out player ATM, I had a DX150, but dropped it while riding my bike :triportsad:. It bounced down the road at about 80 kph for a bit and now will not turn on. I guess on the bright side I'm taking recommendations?

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #221 of 3,158
No balanced out player ATM, I had a DX150, but dropped it while riding my bike :triportsad:. It bounced down the road at about 80 kph for a bit and now will not turn on. I guess on the bright side is I'm taking recommendations?
If you can spring it. Sony zx300 hands down. 4.4mm pentacon out is the truth.
Battery lasts over 20 hours. Super portable.

Sep 28, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #223 of 3,158
Does the zx300 have onboard storage? Guess I need to take a look, thanks.
64 gb. I looked at almost every player out there recently, and my choice came down to A) Sound Quality and B) form factor and battery life.
Sony came out on top hands down.
I don't want to carry a brick around in my pocket.
This player is the size of an old iPhone, and the amplifier in it is the same as their flagship wma1 series.
Same sound quality out of the balanced as a player that is 1200 dollars.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #224 of 3,158
Does the zx300 have onboard storage? Guess I need to take a look, thanks.

This is the review that convinced me to buy it.
this guy is awesome, he is also on headfi.

Sep 28, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #225 of 3,158
I am also running my zx300 at high gain. Sound level 75.
Listening to Estas tonne "place of the gods". And it is a downright religious experience. Pure joy.

Looks like I can only enjoy CL2 with balanced out when using portable DAPs. SE simply cannot drive CL2 properly, the lows/mids are very muddy, veiled. KANN can drive CL2 with balanced out but not to its potential. Either CL2 is very hard to drive or I am spoiled by WA8! You can get loud enough volume but dynamics are lacking. Sigh....I thought I found a good on the go IEM. I think I still need to get a U18.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back