Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Oct 2, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #301 of 3,158
Proper AMP, Deep insertion Tips that seal properly, and Burn in.
I am glad you are enjoying your Sony combo. I am loving it, and it's only gotten better after a 100 hours.
Waiting for my Symbio and Spiral dot tips. Excited to try them all.

Agreed. Thanks again for the recommendation on the Sony NW-ZX300, it is a kick ass little machine. :ksc75smile:

I only have about 24 hrs burn in but it sounds great. If it gets better, well audio heaven must be near.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #302 of 3,158
Honestly I'm not sure how to even compare them. The CL2's use a 3.5, and balanced, the iSines use 3.5 and cypher thru the lightning port. I can listen to both thru the 3.5, but neither is pushed beyond mediocrity in this manner.

Let me know how you want this test conducted, and I'll try to give you a fair appraisal.

Just a general impression is fine, although if you did want to do a more direct comparison, there are EQ solutions for the iSine, like the Audeze "Reveal" plugin.

Oct 2, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #303 of 3,158
I am still amazed at the sound coming out of these little IEMs. They are so tiny, makes you wonder about all the technology they were able to cram in such a little space.

Oct 3, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #304 of 3,158
Good news, my package is not stuck at customs anymore, it's at CDG airport, just 20km from me!
Today is the day I get my ears on the CL2 :D

Edit : ... Or not...Now the package is marked as delivered, I go to the UPS access point and they say they don't have it... am I doomed or what?!? Got UPS on the phone they say it's delivered they will ping the driver now... those CL2 are making themselves wanted for sure... I hope it wasn't stolen! So much for UPS and we're talking Express

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #305 of 3,158
Can someone compare the sound from the bluetooth neckband to the sound out of a dap?
You may want to buy a dedicate Bluetooth neckband IEM instead. It does not seem to be able to drive CL2 properly. You can use it with other IEM through MMCX connectors though.

Oct 3, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #306 of 3,158
Good news, my package is not stuck at customs anymore, it's at CDG airport, just 20km from me!
Today is the day I get my ears on the CL2 :D
Looking forward to your comparisons with the phantom, and LCDI4.
Have fun, enjoy.

Oct 3, 2018 at 12:36 AM Post #307 of 3,158
Just ran it with the bluetooth dongle. Sounds good, really good actually. But does not do it justice with what this is capable of doing. I would use the neckband with some good quality easy to drive CHIFi iem. I am looking to get one right now actually, my sister is really wanting one with her iPhone. iPhone only uses aac. Go figure.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #308 of 3,158
Wow, what I read here really gives me the urge to try. lcdi4 are one of my favorite pairs, if I can find this sound texture in a very small pair I will go for to try.

Oct 3, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #309 of 3,158
Wow, what I read here really gives me the urge to try. lcdi4 are one of my favorite pairs, if I can find this sound texture in a very small pair I will go for to try.

You'll be able to try it on october 21st :)

Oct 3, 2018 at 3:45 AM Post #310 of 3,158
Oct 3, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #311 of 3,158
Are you sure they will not be still in Cologne?:slight_smile:

No I got an update it's in Paris out for delivery so I'll get it today for sure :)

Oct 3, 2018 at 5:38 AM Post #312 of 3,158
So, let us know ASAP:dt880smile:

Oct 3, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #313 of 3,158
So, let us know ASAP:dt880smile:

I will, but there is 20 hours of burn in to go through to make an informed opinion, so I'll provide first impressions they won't be definitive though...

Edit : This was a bumpy ride in terms of package delivery but the CL2 are now in my ears!

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #314 of 3,158
First, fit. Those need to be deeply inserted as many have reported. Tips : I tried the provided RHA dual density, default is much too small for my big ears, tried the max sized RHA dual density… no seal and piercing highs. Switch to large Tennmak tips that I have heard so much about and… seal!

So first impressions with the CL2… out of DX200Ti / AMP8 balanced with Tennmaks one word : extended!

There is fantastic sub bass, the extension is really very good and there is plenty of control right out of the box. This will get better I have no doubt but I like what I am hearing. This is clean bass with no exaggerated mid bass boost, a mature bass tuning. You get both good extension down low which makes them fun, with a nice snappy attack, but serious bass as there is no exaggeration nor bleed into mids.

This is true of the highs as well, extension is really very very good and gives a lot of air, it’s probably a major factor of the surprisingly grand soundstage and the detail retrieval is simply outstanding. There is just the right amount of sparkle, I get a lot of excitement from the treble without ever wincing so far. No treble harshness with the right fit and tips, the Tennmak work wonders for me there. I’ll do some further tip rolling as I think the CL2 is very sensitive to this so if you find any harshness really try alternative tips there shouldn’t be any.

Now extension was the first thing that grabbed my attention but, there is more and it’s so very good :)
I find the overall signature very natural, nothing in the tuning sounds overdone and that’s always hard to do, kudos for this!

I haven’t mentioned the mids yet, again a very mature tuning, there is a delicate balance of just enough weight and body to convey beautiful textures while retaining a lot of air and great separation (upper mids walk the fine line without any edginess - on my test tracks - so far). This is a major treat if you listen to Jazz, well I think I have found my go to IEMs, period. As for timbre, I need more time but it does seem fairly accurate although not as warm as I am used to (granted the Phantom and VE8 are on the sweeter side).

Now, speed : the CL2 is pretty fast, faster than dynamic drivers you don’t get that with IE800s and it’s a pretty good dynamic in that department. I don’t think it has anything to envy in the speed department even compared to top BA driver IEMs as well which was already something I enjoyed with the i4. There is just the right amount of note decay to remain natural and not dry, again a very fine line. Well done!

I did lack excitement from the LCD i4, I do find that planar linearity with the CL2 but much more excitement and I think it has a lot to do with the upper mids and treble tuning. Luckily this hasn’t been overdone, which could have been an issue for me as I am sensitive to harsh treble and sibilance. A very fine line has been walked with success pushing excitement far enough but never too far. Despite the exciting signature, I don’t expect the CL2 to be tiring but longer listening session are in order here.

Oct 3, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #315 of 3,158
Thanks for sharing your early impressions ! See you on the 21st, I'll be glad to test these puppies thanks to you. \o/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back