Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Oct 31, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #856 of 3,158
:beerchug::ksc75smile:
JUst got my spiral dots
Sounds great, perfect fit with Midieum large tips
Now desperately waiting for plussound balanced cable

Oct 31, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #857 of 3,158
Oct 31, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #858 of 3,158
It should not be too difficult for anyone even mildly interested in the CL2 to find this thread in the Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors forum and explore 66 pages of informative posts. Hopefully a Mod can put it here.
Actually, in the announcements I had problems and had to ask kitechaser to send me the link. I could only see the original announcement thread and then was searching for threads in the correct forum (portables). I just thought there was no talk about them....

I may be an idiot sometimes though.

Glad to see this thread go to the right spot, a lot more people should see it now in this forum versus the sponsor announcement forum. I wouldn't have realized it was around were it not for @Kitechaser hyping them up in one of the discovery threads. On the other hand, I check this forum about 10 times per day.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #859 of 3,158
I hope now more and more people will come to enjoy the CL2, they really deserve:)

Oct 31, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #860 of 3,158
I hope now more and more people will come to enjoy the CL2, they really deserve:)
How does the cl2 compare to your it04?

I'm considering whether I want to get one of the cheap Chinese planar IEMs or go full force into the cl2, but I'd not seen a comparison to the it04, which is my daily driver right now. I've seen the comparison to the isine20 but not the it04, which I generally find Superior to the isine20 in almost all regards.

Thanks.

Oct 31, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #861 of 3,158
How does the cl2 compare to your it04?

I'm considering whether I want to get one of the cheap Chinese planar IEMs or go full force into the cl2, but I'd not seen a comparison to the it04, which is my daily driver right now. I've seen the comparison to the isine20 but not the it04, which I generally find Superior to the isine20 in almost all regards.

Thanks.

Since I got the CL2 I didn’t use much the it04. CL2 have better fit, better isolation and sound more dinamic.Bass of CL2 hits harder, soundstage is wider and more holographic and to my ears they simply sound more engaging.With the CL2 instruments pop from everywhere, these IEMs have a very 3d music presentation.It04 are awesome iems,especially considering the price but the emotions and chills I get from CL2 are not there for me. On the other hand, it04 do not need so much burn in like the CL2. It’s crazy how much the CL2 changed and are still changing with burn in...
Also, I have the feeling the CL2 with cables like the thor ii would shine even more.
I will probably sell the it04 soon and just keep the CL2, Xelento and Solar.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #862 of 3,158
I an dying to try these out with a silver cable. The copper has been a pretty nice upgrade from the SPC.
But I really think silver will be the winner.
Will find out soon.

Oct 31, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #863 of 3,158
Since I got the CL2 I didn’t use much the it04. CL2 have better fit, better isolation and sound more dinamic.Bass of CL2 hits harder, soundstage is wider and more holographic and to my ears they simply sound more engaging.With the CL2 instruments pop from everywhere, these IEMs have a very 3d music presentation.It04 are awesome iems,especially considering the price but the emotions and chills I get from CL2 are not there for me. On the other hand, it04 do not need so much burn in like the CL2. It’s crazy how much the CL2 changed and are still changing with burn in...
Also, I have the feeling the CL2 with cables like the thor ii would shine even more.
I will probably sell the it04 soon and just keep the CL2, Xelento and Solar.

I'm interested how exactly they've changed for people with burn in. I've been running mine, in hopes that the piercing treble smooths out. It's gotten better but not quite where I'd like it. Dunno how much more it can change.

I'm starting to wonder if these aren't for my ears. I'm sensitive to treble, but typically it has been for sparkly highs, not lower treble like these. I was wondering if I got a dud unit, but both sides sound the same to me. There's harshness in the lower treble region that doesn't sound right to me.

Anyone else have this experience, or just me?

Oct 31, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #864 of 3,158
I'm interested how exactly they've changed for people with burn in. I've been running mine, in hopes that the piercing treble smooths out. It's gotten better but not quite where I'd like it. Dunno how much more it can change.

I'm starting to wonder if these aren't for my ears. I'm sensitive to treble, but typically it has been for sparkly highs, not lower treble like these. I was wondering if I got a dud unit, but both sides sound the same to me. There's harshness in the lower treble region that doesn't sound right to me.

Are you using stock cables?
These change a lot, and smooth over time. Something that will help is an after market OCC Copper cable. The stock SPC cable is a little harsh out of the box, and the timbre from what others say, is a bit metallic.
Edit: how many hours are you in?

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #865 of 3,158

Try some pink noise and tone sweeps through the night. Will burn them in faster.

Oct 31, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #866 of 3,158
Are you using stock cables?
These change a lot, and smooth over time. Something that will help is an after market OCC Copper cable. The stock SPC cable is a little harsh out of the box, and the timbre from what others say, is a bit metallic.

Yes, an apt description! It sounds metallic and unnatural. Glad I'm not the only one noticing this. I do actually have a copper cable. I'll try switching (and running them more) and report back.

Is burning in a particular characteristic of planar drivers? I've only used dynamic and BA, and they've never changed drastically with burn in, so I haven't been the biggest believer.

Oct 31, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #867 of 3,158
Yes, an apt description! It sounds metallic and unnatural. Glad I'm not the only one noticing this. I do actually have a copper cable. I'll try switching (and running them more) and report back.

Is burning in a particular characteristic of planar drivers? I've only used dynamic and BA, and they've never changed drastically with burn in, so I haven't been the biggest believer.
This one changes a lot. Don't know why, but I am seeing changes up to hour 400. No exaggeration.
Sound has really really come into its own since I first got it.

Oct 31, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #868 of 3,158
My personal solution to tame the highs (getting better with use, though) is to use small-bore silicon tips. Tonal balance is now perfect for me.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #869 of 3,158

I haven't noticed changes with cables for what it's worth, but yeah, do some tip rolling. Foams and narrow bore tils can attentuate that high mids/lower treble harshness.

The Symbios W are my tips of choice of choice, as they add just a little bit of warmth, but having tried all sorts of tips, I do think the high mids emphasis is their biggest weakness.

Nov 1, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #870 of 3,158
The change in cables for me have made a pretty substantial difference. Spiral dots have been the go to tips for me, these in my opinion do really well with wide mouth tips.
Pure copper I feel like is a much deserved upgrade for the CL2, it just brings everything together.
That's been my experience with it so far.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back