Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Nov 6, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #1,021 of 3,158
:beerchug: Hope we will be here till next cl3/cl4
I have plussound silver plater copper, sounds fine, but im very temted to try other, pure silver or gold. Copper:L3000:
Talk to @SciOC about 11/11 deals on Aliexpress. Great balanced cables for a deep discounted price.

Nov 6, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #1,023 of 3,158
Not gonna lie, i damn near packed them up, and was ready to do a drop off run at the post office.
These started opening up right around that time, and I was listening to @AManAnd88Keys , he was so convincing about how good these were.
I thought, he wouldn't be lying about that, so I decided to give it a few more days.
And here we are. :)

Edit: Got 2 words for you.....Copper Cable
My aim was not to convince you, just to give a detailed and vivid description of how I experience the CL2. It is good to hear that my statements have had that results, but I would like to make sure that I am not a salesperson. I have no personal agenda when it comes to audio, peoples choices should be as free as possible (not only in audio, but we are on head-fi and that is what we deal with).

About the "he wouldn't be lying about that", I live by a simple rule: tell the truth, and if you are not sure what the truth is, at least don't lie. It's not a rule that I have invented, but it is very effective. So, enough smart-assery, back to audio :wink:

Nov 6, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #1,024 of 3,158
The irony of someone's impression that includes "this is my perfect....." is you are less likely to experience the same since it is a deeply personal statement.

My personal experience with this was the Campfire Audio Andromeda. I didn't realize until after I purchased that pairing the Andros within a specific range of amp output impedance significantly changed how it sounded. Unfortunately for me, it did not pair well at all with my equipment at the time.

Nov 6, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #1,025 of 3,158
About the now often-mentioned frequency spike of the CL2:

From both personal experience and statements / explanations of several manufacturers I have had the pleasure to talk to, I know that the frequency response is maybe the least interesting and informative technical description of all. It is, sadly, often the only information users get access to and frequency graphs are also relatively easy to interpret, leading people to make quick judgements. Many people however would be surprised to see how great audio setups can sound despite an anything but neutral frequency response (horns, anyone?). Some setups can have a response that resembles more a jigsaw that a flat line, but you won't really notice when you listen to them. What is actually much more revealing is the impulse response, the phase/frequency graph and the distortion/frequency graph. Audiophiles are often quick to decide that the issues they have can be linked to a certain part of the frequency response, when it is much more likely that is either due to mediocre impulse response, a peak in distortion - especially in the mids, where we are most sensitive, and as 3rd order or higher order distortion, as 2nd order is much more gentle and pleasant - or a phase change around that frequency. When the impulse response is good (fast, quick decay and with litte ringing), the phase is as stable as possible over the audible range and the distortion is low in the mids (or mostly 2nd order distortion) and highs, then you very likely get some serious sound quality.

I should note, however, that it is very demanding to design audio gear that fulfills all those requirements. If you consider perfect audio reproduction to be possible, it is mostly a question of money. For a fortune, you can pay a bunch of skilled engineers to design something that ticks all the boxes. For less money, you need to make cuts somewhere. Manufacturers therefore need to make wise decisions on what to focus on and what not, as they have to make compromises. Or as a representative of Q-Acoustics once told me: "Every serious audio company can built awesome speakers for 100 grand. If money is no object, we all have the knowledge to do that. The real challenge is to build great speakers for 1 or 2 grand, that's a much more difficult problem".

To sum it all up, there are many technical aspects of a transducer that are (much) more telling than the frequency graph and I encourage manufacturers (RHA too...) to publish those measurements, and potential customers to demand them. It will only lead to a better understanding of how audio works , and more understanding is always beneficial.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #1,026 of 3,158
The irony of someone's impression that includes "this is my perfect....." is you are less likely to experience the same since it is a deeply personal statement.
It's even more ironic that, especially on a forum, you can only vaguely assume what other people experience anyway. You always have to approximate their descriptions with your own thoughts and try to deduct something useful from that. But because we are social beings and interested in constructive communication and sharing of knowledge with people we consider like-minded, we are still here on this platform and spend some of our time with reading and posting our own thoughts. From a certain perspective it's actually quite funny, but I still enjoy it and it is nice how well we all get along in this niche of the world.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #1,027 of 3,158
It's even more ironic that, especially on a forum, you can only vaguely assume what other people experience anyway. You always have to approximate their descriptions with your own thoughts and try to deduct something useful from that. But because we are social beings and interested in constructive communication and sharing of knowledge with people we consider like-minded, we are still here on this platform and spend some of our time with reading and posting our own thoughts. From a certain perspective it's actually quite funny, but I still enjoy it and it is nice how well we all get along in this niche of the world.

Just my somewhat existentialist two cents.
We all get along because we are listening to some of the most beautiful music on some of most exquisite equipment to have ever been concieved in human history.
At the end of the day, music is a spiritual endeavor.
Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #1,028 of 3,158

The soundstage on this track is off the charts. I have the High Res version, don't know if it will translate on from a YouTube clip.

Nov 6, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #1,029 of 3,158

The soundstage on this track is off the charts. I have the High Res version, don't know if it will translate on from a YouTube clip.

I told you :wink:
This album is amazing... binaural is unmatched to render great soundstage and imaging...
The DSD128 I got has incredible dynamic range as well...

Nov 6, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #1,030 of 3,158
I told you :wink:
This album is amazing... binaural is unmatched to render great soundstage and imaging...
The DSD128 I got has incredible dynamic range as well...
I am about to download everything on that list you just posted. :)

Nov 6, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #1,031 of 3,158
Honestly, I thought binaural recordings were cool for about a week, downloaded anything I could get my hands on, and now consider it sort of gimmicky.

That being said, it should be required for all live recordings because having a dummy head around hurts nothing when doing a live recording. I wish mtv had used those for their live recordings. Clapton unplugged and binaural would be amazing.

Nov 6, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #1,032 of 3,158
Honestly, I thought binaural recordings were cool for about a week, downloaded anything I could get my hands on, and now consider it sort of gimmicky.

That being said, it should be required for all live recordings because having a dummy head around hurts nothing when doing a live recording. I wish mtv had used those for their live recordings. Clapton unplugged and binaural would be amazing.
I like the music too, binaural by itself would be gimmicky. It's especially nice on the CL2 because the detail level and clarity is amazing. It's very interesting, but let's see if it stands up to long term listening.

Nov 7, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #1,033 of 3,158
21 hours is not nearly enough time to burn this driver in, and make any quality judgements on the sound.
Having said that, I like your writing style :)
And what your wife said about singing through a blanket, is not what this sounds like at all, when the driver is fully burnt in.

Hi Kitechaser,

I too can't recognize at all my experience of the CL2 in B9Scrambler s nicely written review.

What puzzles me a lot with this review is that he states that he couldn't hear any difference between the wired and the bluetooth modes.
Well, when I tested a CL2 with hardly any burn-in at my dealer and likewise after I bought my own CL2 without any burn-in at all, there was already unfortunately a huge difference between the wired mode (even from my Samsung Note 9, which has a weak amp -- I for convenience often use the CL2 out of my phone at work) and the bluetooth mode. In comparison the bluetooth headband unfortunately sounds to me muffled, with much less clarity, detail, dynamics, is much less engaging (which is a pity) than already out of my phone.
That B9Scrambler could not hear did this shows to me that there was something wrong (damaged CL2? wrong setup ??).

BTW what I really love a lot about CL2 is the tiny form factor (I find that most TOTL with their many BAs are too big; the KSE1500 is small but you can't swap the cable - - a dead end would a cable be broken).

Enjoy your music with the CL2 and thank you you all for your posts here,
bidn

Nov 7, 2018 at 2:56 AM Post #1,034 of 3,158
Hi Kitechaser,

I too can't recognize at all my experience of the CL2 in B9Scrambler s nicely written review.

What puzzles me a lot with this review is that he states that he couldn't hear any difference between the wired and the bluetooth modes.
Well, when I tested a CL2 with hardly any burn-in at my dealer and likewise after I bought my own CL2 without any burn-in at all, there was already unfortunately a huge difference between the wired mode (even from my Samsung Note 9, which has a weak amp -- I for convenience often use the CL2 out of my phone at work) and the bluetooth mode. In comparison the bluetooth headband unfortunately sounds to me muffled, with much less clarity, detail, dynamics, is much less engaging (which is a pity) than already out of my phone.
That B9Scrambler could not hear did this shows to me that there was something wrong (damaged CL2? wrong setup ??).

BTW what I really love a lot about CL2 is the tiny form factor (I find that most TOTL with their many BAs are too big; the KSE1500 is small but you can't swap the cable - - a dead end would a cable be broken).

Enjoy your music with the CL2 and thank you you all for your posts here,
bidn
The "review" if we can call it that, is more than half baked. I didn't want to be rude to the man, but yes, if he couldn't tell the difference between the wired and wireless sound quality, he probably shouldn't have been in the position to write the review.
No source was mentioned, and from his impressions I doubt he even had that 21 hours with it he claimed he did.
I personally feel, that you should not be writing a review about a piece of equipment unless you have had a minimum of 200 hours to get to know it properly, let alone 20.
I think stuff like this is a disservice to this community at large.
I can understand different tastes in sound signature, but when basic facts in your review are at odds with what everyone else is experiencing, maybe it should be an occasion for more than a quick pause.

Nov 7, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #1,035 of 3,158
Art Garfunkel's "Bright Eyes" sounds absolutely perfect on the CL2... 100% mesmerising!

Wish I could transfer my auditory memory into a machine so others could hear what I'm hearing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back