Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Nov 8, 2018 at 5:35 AM Post #1,081 of 3,158
Like I wrote in my review, I think the CL2 can be paired with more expensive sources and amplifiers. For me it just gets better and better, but I guess you can understand that it's kind of difficult to take a big desktop system with me on public transport, so the DX150 remains the CL2s best friend. For now... :ksc75smile:
So you have been listening to the CL2 out of your top end desktop setup this entire time :) If you don't mind me asking, what's the quality of your digital music.
No wonder you had a hard time understanding why people were not instantly gravitating to the CL2.
Now I am gonna stop spamming this board. . I am a little 2 excited.
Time for bed :)

Nov 8, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #1,083 of 3,158
So you have been listening to the CL2 out of your top end desktop setup this entire time :) If you don't mind me asking, what's the quality of your digital music.
No wonder you had a hard time understanding why people were not instantly gravitating to the CL2.
Now I am gonna stop spamming this board. . I am a little 2 excited.
Time for bed :)
Not the entire time, I switch between setups and I also have my loudspeakers. And there are times where I don't listen to music. I tend to listen to music very attentively most of the time and my mind isn't always open to it.
Music quality - what do you mean, which type of files? 95% is redbook, because the music is not available in another format or the platforms who offer higher formats are not available in my country. For example, I can browse the entire catalog on hd-tracks, but many times I cannot listen to or buy anything. Things are slowly changing, as it is a matter of legal issues between countries.
I have some 24/96 and 24/192 PCM, but the high-res alone does not guarantee great sound. The biggest factor is the quality of the recording gear, a good mix and a great mastering. I have a nice number of redbook CDs that sound better than some my high-res files. High-resolution is just a technical description, a "shell" for the musical information, it doesn't say much about the quality of the content. High-res in theory enables higher quality, but it's up to the producers to decide what to do with it...

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 6:00 AM Post #1,084 of 3,158
Not the entire time, I switch between setups and I also have my loudspeakers. And there are times where I don't listen to music. I tend to listen to music very attentively most of the time and my mind isn't always open to music.
Music quality - what do you mean, which type of files? 95% is redbook, because the music is not available in another format or the platforms who offer higher formats are not available in my country. For example, I can browse the entire catalog on hd-tracks, but many times I cannot listen to or buy anything. Things are slowly changing, as it is a matter of legal issues between countries.
I have some 24/96 and 24/192 PCM, but the high-res alone does not guarantee great sound. The biggest factor is the quality of the recording gear, a good mix and a great mastering. I have a nice number of redbook CDs that sound better than some my high-res files. High-resolution is just a technical description, a "shell" for the musical information, it doesn't say much about the quality of the content. High-res in theory enables higher quality, but it's up to the producers to decide what to do with it...
I have noticed that, but when all the prerequisites are met, and quality is 24/192 it's pure magic.
Take for example, the eric Clapton song I posted earlier. Double trouble, live version.
I had the flac version 1050kbs. The same track 24/192, I can make out individual people in the crowd, where as before they were a generic indistinct crowd noise.
The micro details are off the chart, not to mention the dynamics, and realism of the performance.
I don't know of another iem that can do this. At least one that I have heard before.
Edit: not to mention on something like your setup. That would be heaven

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #1,086 of 3,158
It is my understanding that planar diaphragms, having very little mass and a flat resistive load, require little if any, electrical or mechanical damping, so output impedance of the source should be of far less importance than phones with dynamic drivers or to an even greater extent to those phones with multiple balanced armatures.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/eff...ics-orthodynamics.617902/page-4#post-12766935

Basically, lots of theories and observations, it doesn't seem to be consistent across all ortho/planars given differences in Design. This one in particular is a closed planar design, so it's probably has some unique problems with the air relative to other models....

Not sure what it is, but it's not a good pairing with the amp section of the hiby r6. Sounds fine via line out to my fiio a5, but loses the balanced connection which hurts other stuff.

Nov 8, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #1,087 of 3,158
Sorry I'm halfway asleep and wanted to add this snippet of tired insanity/brilliance. if you have High output impedance, always have a second source with it to compare. Dropping the pregain levels low also helps a lot but cuts down power. Also, if you have access to DSP, you can fix done of the issues in there. If take these steps before using ifi iematch.

Note to self, Klonopin first thing in the morning is a terrible idea. Also 60 hour burn in, sounding pretty good. Could be the combination though...

Also @Kitechaser the best pairing I have so far is my 20 dollar occ copper cheap cable. I'll be buying a better one on 11.11. pre silver cable is second, but can be a little brittle.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #1,089 of 3,158
Update.

These are starting to sound TOTL at 65 hours burn in.

Dynamic range is fantastic and the bass is deep and extremely fast without the grain I find in BAs or some other planars. It lacks impact and slam, like planars typically do, but it is rendered extremely accurately.

The transformation has been ridiculous. I wonder how much of it relates to burn in (I don't think I've had much mental burn in with these as I had with something like the isine20) versus finding the right pairings/settings with my equipment. Today is the first day I think they're comparable with the Andromeda or it04.

100% agree with @Kitechaser on the speed. Because of the bass speed, these are faster than BA sets with more accurate attack and decay as a result. That said, somehow, timbre still seems to be a bit off though. I'm hoping that changes with more burn in. Acoustic guitar aren't sounding as lifelike as they do on the isine 20 or Andromeda.

Nov 8, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #1,090 of 3,158
Update.

Dynamic range is fantastic and the bass is deep and extremely fast without the grain I find in BAs or some other planars. It lacks impact and slam, like planars typically do, but it is rendered extremely accurately.

The transformation has been ridiculous. I wonder how much of it relates to burn in (I don't think I've had much mental burn in with these as I had with something like the isine20) versus finding the right pairings/settings with my equipment. Today is the first day I think they're comparable with the Andromeda or it04.

100% agree with @Kitechaser on the speed. Because of the bass speed, these are faster than BA sets with more accurate attack and decay as a result. That said, somehow, timbre still seems to be a bit off though. I'm hoping that changes with more burn in. Acoustic guitar aren't sounding as lifelike as they do on the isine 20 or Andromeda.

Glad to hear you are liking them better! May very well be the IEM that most changes over time I've heard... There was the GR07 back in the day, but these take the cake.

Nov 8, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #1,091 of 3,158
Update.

You have a ways to go with burn in :)
Better cable and source will help a lot.
These iems are very transparent.
I am dabbling in high res audio at the moment, and it is something to behold.
Edit: the impact and slam will be there. Just wait.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #1,092 of 3,158
For those who encountered problems with the frequency response of the CL2, have you tried EQ, and if so what did you change, and how were the results?
Honestly, past the 200 hour mark, I haven't had any spikes or problems with the CL2. Especially after switching to an OCC copper cable.
Haven't touched the EQ.
Others may have had a different experience.

Nov 8, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #1,094 of 3,158
The longer I have the CL2 the more I find that copper cables are the way to go. I have been using the silver-plated cable for the past weeks and switched to the stock copper cable today, it's simply more natural to my ears.

Nov 8, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #1,095 of 3,158
I'm still loving my 16 core **** SPC... Got their OCC cable in my Amazon basket, but not committing as I don't hear anything blatantly wrong...

Are you guys doting on the OCC going for the last nth percent of SQ, or are we going for big revelations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back