Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Nov 13, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #1,276 of 3,158
Because my lug holes are so large, the solid core of the Symbio W helps me get a good seal, better than the spiral dots...

Tempted to decore a Symbio and put the foam into the spiral dot - does the foam come out cleanly or is it a hatchet job?

No need to do that, I would suggest getting a pack of foam ear plugs, its easy enough to punch a hole through the middle, I do it all the time.

Nov 13, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #1,277 of 3,158
Just be careful with it. Turn the outer shell completely over, on all sides. And gently slidethe bore out of the foam.
And slip them back on the spiral dots in a similar way.
Works, I am doing it as I type this out.
I’ll be interested in your prequel thoughts :D

Nov 13, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #1,278 of 3,158
I’ll be interested in your prequel thoughts :D
It definitely pushes them against my ear firmly. So if you are not getting a proper seal with the spiral dots, this will definitely help.
Isolation has increased, and volume is too loud at the levels I was at before doing the foam installs. .

Nov 13, 2018 at 3:23 AM Post #1,279 of 3,158
Bass response went up.
The only hesitation I have so far is comfort.
Everything else is unequivocally better.

Nov 13, 2018 at 3:28 AM Post #1,280 of 3,158
Keep in mind that you can use those foams from the symbio not just on spiral dots, but on most any tips with similar stems .... tips with very thin silicone, in particular, may benefit, as that mod can help get a better seal (IMHO)

Nov 13, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #1,281 of 3,158
Keep in mind that you can use those foams from the symbio not just on spiral dots, but on most any tips with similar stems .... tips with very thin silicone, in particular, may benefit, as that mod can help get a better seal (IMHO)
I'll remember that.
Spiral dots with symbio foams, might be the winning combo.
Will not do what l I did last night and make snap judgements. But so far so good :)

Nov 13, 2018 at 5:51 AM Post #1,282 of 3,158
Been a while since i posted here, interesting reading regarding charts etc. Me - charts are bollocks lol. If people don't like the CL2 and want to hear what a chart has told them then that's fine. We can't like everything. I think Noble are vastly over rated but that's not a view that is well liked on head-fi - each to their own.

I've probably got around 250-300 hours on the CL2 now and they are quite simply stunning. Still using the Symbio W tips, tempted to try the spinfits but when I see a postage time of 3 weeks from Japan it kind of puts me off. The change to the **** cable helped with the fit issue regarding the heavy earhook thingy's and may have made a slight difference to the sound as well.

I spent a few days with my much loved AKG N5005 but fear I will sell them now as well as my Ibasso IT04. Despite still sounding very good they both sound veiled in comparison to the CL2,

As others have pointed out, the Sony/CL2 combo is something quite special.

Nov 13, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #1,283 of 3,158
Been a while since i posted here, interesting reading regarding charts etc. Me - charts are bollocks lol. If people don't like the CL2 and want to hear what a chart has told them then that's fine. We can't like everything. I think Noble are vastly over rated but that's not a view that is well liked on head-fi - each to their own.

I've probably got around 250-300 hours on the CL2 now and they are quite simply stunning. Still using the Symbio W tips, tempted to try the spinfits but when I see a postage time of 3 weeks from Japan it kind of puts me off. The change to the **** cable helped with the fit issue regarding the heavy earhook thingy's and may have made a slight difference to the sound as well.

I spent a few days with my much loved AKG N5005 but fear I will sell them now as well as my Ibasso IT04. Despite still sounding very good they both sound veiled in comparison to the CL2,

As others have pointed out, the Sony/CL2 combo is something quite special.
Welcome back. Wanna thank you and amanand88keys, you guys are responsible for me buying these. :wink:
What a rec.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #1,284 of 3,158
I noticed some discussion about female vocalists recently (~20 pages back...) so thought I'd throw some, which are perhaps lesser known, in the ring for y'all to give a shot on the CL2. No bad mastering here, and hopefully at least one of them will give you some new material to enjoy (all album names):

Siril Malmedal Hauge - Last Things / Acoustic, intimate
Ana Popovic - Like It On Top / Blues-y
Cloves - One Big Nothing / London Grammar & Adele-esque
DOROTHY - ROCKISDEAD / Rock...
Amanda Shires - To the Sunset / Folk
Jenny Lewis - Voyager / Indie-rock
Natalie Prass - The Future and the Past / Alt, Indie
Victory - The Broken Instrument / Soul

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #1,285 of 3,158
I noticed some discussion about female vocalists recently (~20 pages back...) so thought I'd throw some, which are perhaps lesser known, in the ring for y'all to give a shot on the CL2. No bad mastering here, and hopefully at least one of them will give you some new material to enjoy (all album names):

Siril Malmedal Hauge - Last Things / Acoustic, intimate
Ana Popovic - Like It On Top / Blues-y
Cloves - One Big Nothing / London Grammar & Adele-esque
DOROTHY - ROCKISDEAD / Rock...
Amanda Shires - To the Sunset / Folk
Jenny Lewis - Voyager / Indie-rock
Natalie Prass - The Future and the Past / Alt, Indie
Victory - The Broken Instrument / Soul
Oooh, Natalie prass, switching tracks right now, not sure why I didn't think of her before now.

Anyway, y'all are much pickier than me about tips. I swear if something is big enough to cram far enough down my massive ear canal to get a seal, it all sounds the same, wide bore or not.

Nov 13, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #1,286 of 3,158
This may be the antipsychotics talking, but I really am starting to fall for this little IEM.

A little snippet for RHA too use in their marketing materials...

I'm at 175 hours of burn in.

I'm not generally a fan of planar bass but I've finally heard it done right with these, Id think this was a planar/dynamic hybrid if I didn't know better. The level of detail is almost too much at some points. People were talking about how the it04 might be the clearest IEM they've ever heard, but this little sucker is on another level.

This driver is a true accomplishment.

Usually listening to superhumanoids - do you feel ok, the bass can drown out the rest pretty easily, but detail across the spectrum really comes through on these no matter what's going on. Some may find the tuning a bit off, but this driver and closed setup is a winner.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #1,287 of 3,158
This may be the antipsychotics talking, but I really am starting to fall for this little IEM.

A little snippet for RHA too use in their marketing materials...

I'm at 175 hours of burn in.

I'm not generally a fan of planar bass but I've finally heard it done right with these, Id think this was a planar/dynamic hybrid if I didn't know better. The level of detail is almost too much at some points. People were talking about how the it04 might be the clearest IEM they've ever heard, but this little sucker is on another level.

This driver is a true accomplishment.

Usually listening to superhumanoids - do you feel ok, the bass can drown out the rest pretty easily, but detail across the spectrum really comes through on these no matter what's going on. Some may find the tuning a bit off, but this driver and closed setup is a winner.
What do you remember of the Andromeda?
Pulls up a chair :)

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #1,288 of 3,158
What do you remember from the Andromeda?
Pulls up a chair :)
The Andromeda has a nice, thick, vivid sound. The BA drivers left me wanting for a little more impact in the bass, which I felt was a tiny bit grainy as well. Frankly, I didn't think I'd get that with these either, but I did. That was the biggest thing with the Andromeda that made me start using the it04 as my daily driver. Other than that I loved the Andromeda, it sounds larger than life (as such, probably not the favorite of people who want neutrality and deference to the source material).

Given the thickness and the oozing of sparkle the andros were not quite as detailed as the CL2 or it04.

They also didn't sound as good at high volumes.
I listen too loud, and I want to listen to the CL2 even louder because I think they could handle the power, I often feel like I was pushing the BAs limits before they started to distort. I feel like that less with the it04, but the it04 doesn't have the best dynamic range.

Guitars sounded amazing on the Andromeda, but not necessarily tonally correct. The Andromeda has a very good soundstage and instrument separation, so does the CL2. I think it's a wash here. I think that guitars sounded larger than life on the Andromeda, and the CL2 they sound more realistic, which to me is a bit of a downside actually(I'm not a purist). I think with EQ you could get this effect if you wanted on the Cl2.

Overall, I think this driver is incredible. I'm not sure what you could throw at it where itd be pushed to it's limits.

The attack and decay and power handling properties are special IMO. I think i would go deaf before I could beat this driver or get it to distort.

The tuning issues are like the color of paint in a house to me and can be easily changed. So far, it can handle anything I've thrown at it (once it was around 80 hours).

I have not heard a driver that can match the capabilities of this one. This seems "next gen" level to me. Hopefully this driver gets spread far and wide and mass produced like crazy.

Nov 13, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #1,289 of 3,158
Agreed @SciOC - I have AK Layla’s and ignoring tonal differences, I swear detail retrieval from the single driver in the CL2 is better than the 12 drivers in the AK.

Quite the achievement!

Nov 13, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #1,290 of 3,158
The Andromeda has a nice, thick, vivid sound. The BA drivers left me wanting for a little more impact in the bass, which I felt was a tiny bit grainy as well. Frankly, I didn't think I'd get that with these either, but I did. That was the biggest thing with the Andromeda that made me start using the it04 as my daily driver. Other than that I loved the Andromeda, it sounds larger than life (as such, probably not the favorite of people who want neutrality and deference to the source material).

Given the thickness and the oozing of sparkle the andros were not quite as detailed as the CL2 or it04.

They also didn't sound as good at high volumes.
I listen too loud, and I want to listen to the CL2 even louder because I think they could handle the power, I often feel like I was pushing the BAs limits before they started to distort. I feel like that less with the it04, but the it04 doesn't have the best dynamic range.

Guitars sounded amazing on the Andromeda, but not necessarily tonally correct. The Andromeda has a very good soundstage and instrument separation, so does the CL2. I think it's a wash here. I think that guitars sounded larger than life on the Andromeda, and the CL2 they sound more realistic, which to me is a bit of a downside actually(I'm not a purist). I think with EQ you could get this effect if you wanted on the Cl2.

Overall, I think this driver is incredible. I'm not sure what you could throw at it where itd be pushed to it's limits.

The attack and decay and power handling properties are special IMO. I think i would go deaf before I could beat this driver or get it to distort.

The tuning issues are like the color of paint in a house to me and can be easily changed. So far, it can handle anything I've thrown at it (once it was around 80 hours).

I have not heard a driver that can match the capabilities of this one. This seems "next gen" level to me. Hopefully this driver gets spread far and wide and mass produced like crazy.
I am not exaggerating, with the 4k bump, guitars just pop out of the iem for me. Best guitars I have ever heard on any iem, and with weight that BAs lack for me. They sound so real, that sometimes I think I can reach out and touch the instruments.
This driver is definitely next gen. I am more than interested in seeing what else RHA has up their sleeves for the next installment.
Hopefully this is a big enough hit, so that they are incentivized to keep pushing the boundaries on this tech.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back