Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Nov 16, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #1,321 of 3,158
Has anyone on here heard the ME1 planar?
Someone on another thread asked how they compare to each other.
So if someone can help out..

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #1,322 of 3,158
Has anyone heard the CL2 and the ME.1? If so, how do they compare to each other? Thank you.

(I posted this question on the wrong thread earlier)

Nov 17, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #1,323 of 3,158
My take on the tips, tried the spiral dots with the symbio innards, didn't get the proper seal, so no extra bass boost.

Pulled out a pack of Spinfit CP155 M size, and wow, bass in barrels. Big difference.
Not sure how I feel about it. Will give it some time and see how the sub-bass comes out.

Nov 17, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #1,324 of 3,158
Has anyone heard the CL2 and the ME.1? If so, how do they compare to each other? Thank you.

Eric, I have both, will give them a comparison some time this weekend and get back to you.

Nov 17, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #1,325 of 3,158
I think I will have to find some very silicon friendly glue, and make my Symbio Dot permanent - was wondering why the sound seemed off in my left ear, worked out the reason, the Symbio foam had come out of the Spiral Dot slightly, affecting the fit...

Any recommendations?

Symbio Dots are here to stay for me it seems.

Nov 17, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #1,326 of 3,158
I think I will have to find some very silicon friendly glue, and make my Symbio Dot permanent - was wondering why the sound seemed off in my left ear, worked out the reason, the Symbio foam had come out of the Spiral Dot slightly, affecting the fit...

Any recommendations?

Symbio Dots are here to stay for me it seems.

For making replacement foam tips Unibond Repair Extreme works for me. Its a good glue that remains "rubbery" when its dry. It doesn't appear to harm the foam or silicon if used sparingly either.

Nov 17, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #1,327 of 3,158

I did own the ME1 but sold it before I got the CL2. However from memory the ME1 don't perform to such a high standard as the CL2. The ME1 is probably more neutral in it's presentation, mids and highs are not as detailed or quick as the CL2. The bass is also not as textured or detailed. I is also not as comfortable due to it's bigger body size, doesn't sit as flush as the CL2. Where it does perform better is in it's soundstage, this is more like a full size can in comparison to the CL2.

Overall though the CL2 is for me the better earphone and by quite a margin.

Nov 17, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #1,328 of 3,158
Some of you have criticized RHA for demoing the CL2 with iPods (or was it iPhones?) before. Two days ago I was on a long train ride with a friend and had the opportunity to try out my CL2s with her iPod, a 7th generation Nano model. She let me listen to a modern composition for strings and choir, unfortunately I don't remember the title, but it was well recorded and didn't sound bad. Obviously, it wasn't as full, lively and detailed as with the DX150 and there was definitely some harshness or "digitus" to it, but the basic qualities of the CL2 were there. Loudness also wasn't an issue, despite the 89db rating that is - I believe wrongly - assumed to be "low". It is relatively low for IEMs, but 89db is factually very loud for the human ear.

Nov 17, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #1,329 of 3,158
Some of you have criticized RHA for demoing the CL2 with iPods (or was it iPhones?) before. Two days ago I was on a long train ride with a friend and had the opportunity to try out my CL2s with her iPod, a 7th generation Nano model. She let me listen to a modern composition for strings and choir, unfortunately I don't remember the title, but it was well recorded and didn't sound bad. Obviously, it wasn't as full, lively and detailed as with the DX150 and there was definitely some harshness or "digitus" to it, but the basic qualities of the CL2 were there. Loudness also wasn't an issue, despite the 89db rating that is - I believe wrongly - assumed to be "low". It is relatively low for IEMs, but 89db is factually very loud for the human ear.
The reason I thought it was a bad idea to demo them at a show with iphones, was because they were for
1) fresh out of the box, with 0 hours of burn in.
2) when auditioning to audiophiles on a show floor, they are competing with other top end models being showcased out of 3000 dollar players.
As you yourself know, the CL2 scale up with equipment beautifully.
And I feel like these deserve to be showcased at their best, especially when 1st impressions matter so much to the people attending these exhibits.
These iems are phenomenal, no question.
Having said that, greatness is in the details, occ copper cables (not the pogo stick heavy ones), burn in, and proper eartips, should come out of the box.
Just the last crossing of the t's and dotting of the i's.
I am certain RHA will take care of most of that in the future.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #1,330 of 3,158
The reason I thought it was a bad idea to demo them at a show with iphones, was because they were for
1) fresh out of the box, with 0 hours of burn in.
2) when auditioning to audiophiles on a show floor, they are competing with other top end models being showcased out of 3000 dollar players.
As you yourself know, the CL2 scale up with equipment beautifully.
And I feel like these deserve to be showcased at their best, especially when 1st impressions matter so much to the people attending these exhibits.
These iems are phenomenal, no question.
Having said that, greatness is in the details, occ copper cables (not the pogo stick heavy ones), burn in, and proper eartips, should come out of the box.
Just the last crossing of the t's and dotting of the i's.
I am certain RHA will take care of most of that in the future.
I definitely agree, they should be presented with the right gear if you want to sell them to audiophiles. My intention was to describe how the CL2 + iPod is not the dumpster fire that (I would say most) audiophiles assume it would be.

Nov 17, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #1,331 of 3,158
Eric, I have both, will give them a comparison some time this weekend and get back to you.

Thank you Carlsan!

And thank you McCol, but the way you described the ME.1 is not how I hear it. Comparisons are always tough to make based on memory. Appreciate the effort though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back