Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Nov 22, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #1,411 of 3,158
I not
Just a quick reminder for everyone getting their CL2's:
An initial 100 hours of burn in is required to open up the driver.
300 hours till the bass fully opens up.
So when you first take them out of the box, don't freak out and start running for the hills.
Pure Copper cable gives the best sound.
Spiral dots, symbios, tennmak tips are the consensus. Wide mouth.
Lastly, as others have said, these are one of the best iems money can buy. Enjoy :)

thanks, so I read early on that you got the alo copper litz. are you still using that cable and I assume that it's considered pure copper? I saw much cheaper ones on aliexpress, but have no idea if they are any good or how their build quality is. I'd rather pay more upfront vs going cheaper and then having it break and having to spend more on another one. But of course, I want to spend the least amount possible for a quality cable

Audio46 says they should have more in stock in early December. makes sense to buy the CL2 from their due to the 10% coupon. Much cheaper than Andromeda, an additional warranty year and a wireless cable as well. Seems like the way to go.

Nov 22, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #1,412 of 3,158
I not

thanks, so I read early on that you got the alo copper litz. are you still using that cable and I assume that it's considered pure copper? I saw much cheaper ones on aliexpress, but have no idea if they are any good or how their build quality is. I'd rather pay more upfront vs going cheaper and then having it break and having to spend more on another one. But of course, I want to spend the least amount possible for a quality cable

Audio46 says they should have more in stock in early December. makes sense to buy the CL2 from their due to the 10% coupon. Much cheaper than Andromeda, an additional warranty year and a wireless cable as well. Seems like the way to go.
Check your private messages.
Still using the ALO Copper cable. In my opinion, it pairs perfectly with the CL2.
Match made in audio heaven.
The black jacket matches the CL2 , sound is flawless.

Nov 22, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #1,413 of 3,158
The burn-in is remarkable. Even more impact, snap, better bass, just an overall more mature sound than at the time of my review, where they were already outstanding. I absolutely don't new full-size headphones when I have got the CL2. And I even haven't received the new cables yet! Where is this going to take me...? This is just a lot of fun.

Edit: it's very apparent with piano recordings, being the instrument I have by far the most experience with, but also one that is difficult to record properly. The lower keys have now taken on a much more realistic shape and on records where I wasn't so happy with the quality of the piano - say "Diane" by Chet Baker & Paul Bley, where I felt that Paul sounded a bit muddy and less accurate compared to the amazing clarity of Chets trumpet - the sound is now better balanced. Where before I maybe thought "they could have done a better mix on that one" or "too bad they didn't have better microphones for the piano" I now realize that it's got much more to do with the improvements in my audio chain, and not the original recording. It's a very satisfying sound and some albums from my collection have taken on a new quality.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #1,414 of 3,158
I orderd Ploussound Xseries Pure copper cable
hoping to be amaized:L3000:

Nov 23, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #1,415 of 3,158
The burn-in is remarkable. Even more impact, snap, better bass, just an overall more mature sound than at the time of my review, where they were already outstanding. I absolutely don't new full-size headphones when I have got the CL2. And I even haven't received the new cables yet! Where is this going to take me...? This is just a lot of fun.
That leads me to a point I've been thinking about...

If RHA have re-invented the wheel (at least as far as we are concerned) with these drivers - imagine scaling them up, and making them into closed headphones - I think, if they could carry that off - that the result could be an absolute giant killer!

Nov 23, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #1,416 of 3,158
Hi - this is my first post on Head-Fi. After reading this whole thread through I have now ordered the CL2 which should be here this weekend. I am coming from Mr Speakers Ether C Planar closed back which were a very transparent headphone, very musical, and suited my requirements in the music I listen to, apart from the bass response which it is well known is not it's greatest attribute. I am hoping this will not be an issue with the CL2, as it is clearly held in high regard by all on this thread.

Nov 23, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #1,417 of 3,158
Hi - this is my first post on Head-Fi. After reading this whole thread through I have now ordered the CL2 which should be here this weekend. I am coming from Mr Speakers Ether C Planar closed back which were a very transparent headphone, very musical, and suited my requirements in the music I listen to, apart from the bass response which it is well known is not it's greatest attribute. I am hoping this will not be an issue with the CL2, as it is clearly held in high regard by all on this thread.

Welcome to Head-Fi! I'm waiting to receive a pair of these to review (should be in around a month).
I'm very excited based on the impressions I've been reading, and I hope they are everything you expected :)

Nov 23, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #1,418 of 3,158
Okay, so I just upgraded to a 400 gb micro sd card, and put my music library back onto the NW-ZX300.
Got some muse greatest hits back on, that I deleted 3 weeks ago to make space for my other music, I had thought the album sounded a bit harsh.
Listened to the whole album last night, and it was crystal clear, no distortion or peaks.
Went back to Evanescence on YouTube, that sounded terrible right around the same time, and to no surprise of mine, it sounds perfect.
If anyone can forward any tracks that they think are harsh, I would love to check them out.
Edit: hell even Californiacation by the red hot chili peppers is sounding good, I hear the loudness wars artifacts, but outside of that, it is not harsh or distorted.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #1,419 of 3,158
I can't remember who, but someone here was posting about customising their Symbio tips by removing the foam.
I just discovered that Symbio now offer exactly such an item on their website :D
http://symbioeartips.com/termek/symbio-w-peel/
Symbio Peel.jpg

Nov 23, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #1,420 of 3,158
I've got the new cable now, it's the "Vitesse" from Null Audio (eight litz wires, OCC copper, with upgraded Oyaide plug and tellurium mmcx connectors).

So far it's quite different from the stock copper cable and it's one of the more radical changes I have experienced when switching cables. I am not entirely convinced yet, as it feels more like a change of flavour than an upgrade. Physically it's more flexible and there are no earhooks, which is an improvement. Soundwise pretty much everything is placed further away, less upfront than the stock cable. It's not an improvement per se, more a different presentation. I like it on some records and not so much on others. Overtones are more apparent now and the overall sound is more fleshed out, which can change the general atmosphere quite a lot and lends a different character to instruments. With the Null Audio cable, the CL2s also play louder, as I had to dial down the dx150 by about 10-12 steps (which should equal to 5-6db, or twice as loud) and they reveal more hiss, even on records where I before barely heard any, which is also a bit of a downside.
I'm going to use this cable for a couple days and then switch back to stock, let's see how that goes.

Nov 23, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #1,421 of 3,158
First of all, hello! This is my first comment on this forum and I hope it is not the last.

I have for a long time been a bit of a purity nerd. And in search of the most accurate IEM out there I found the most accurate One there is: The Etymotic ER4SR.

Having used that for a while i found the CL2, once an RHA t20 user, and a very impressed One at that, I could not resist the CL2. I was among the first to get it when they starten to ship it and since then I have been using it a lot, not when I commute since I have a pair of bose QC35 for that and they tend to do a very good job with that. Thus the CL2 became (to my over ear Adiophile friends horror) a listen at home machine only.

What do I think of it? Well, I still do not think it can beat the ER4SRs trebble, that thing is to my ears even more ”clear”. But that is about the only thing I could possibly have to critizice. And givning that the ER4SR is as good as it is, I am not even sure it is worth critizing as it is very close. It is a superb IEM and knowing RHA, it will probably last for an eternity!

I am also not using the cables that are included due to them, for me at least, being extreamly irritating and tend to focus mord on then than on the music. Instead I am using the Linum BaX cable, not sure if you all know about those but I can really recomend them if any of you are also in search of a cable. They are expensive though, but well worth the price

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #1,422 of 3,158
I've got the new cable now, it's the "Vitesse" from Null Audio (eight litz wires, OCC copper, with upgraded Oyaide plug and tellurium mmcx connectors).

So far it's quite different from the stock copper cable and it's one of the more radical changes I have experienced when switching cables. I am not entirely convinced yet, as it feels more like a change of flavour than an upgrade. Physically it's more flexible and there are no earhooks, which is an improvement. Soundwise pretty much everything is placed further away, less upfront than the stock cable. It's not an improvement per se, more a different presentation. I like it on some records and not so much on others. Overtones are more apparent now and the overall sound is more fleshed out, which can change the general atmosphere quite a lot and lends a different character to instruments. With the Null Audio cable, the CL2s also play louder, as I had to dial down the dx150 by about 10-12 steps (which should equal to 5-6db, or twice as loud) and they reveal more hiss, even on records where I before barely heard any, which is also a bit of a downside.
I'm going to use this cable for a couple days and then switch back to stock, let's see how that goes.
Lmao!! I had the same reaction when I switched cables. I almost returned them :wink:
I would leave the CL2 running for 48 hours with the cables attached, they need to be burned in.
It's the timbre of the copper cables, that when I got used to, I couldn't go back to the SPC cables. Instruments sound real with the copper cables, drums, guitars, no other way to put it.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #1,423 of 3,158
First of all, hello! This is my first comment on this forum and I hope it is not the last.

I have for a long time been a bit of a purity nerd. And in search of the most accurate IEM out there I found the most accurate One there is: The Etymotic ER4SR.

Having used that for a while i found the CL2, once an RHA t20 user, and a very impressed One at that, I could not resist the CL2. I was among the first to get it when they starten to ship it and since then I have been using it a lot, not when I commute since I have a pair of bose QC35 for that and they tend to do a very good job with that. Thus the CL2 became (to my over ear Adiophile friends horror) a listen at home machine only.

What do I think of it? Well, I still do not think it can beat the ER4SRs trebble, that thing is to my ears even more ”clear”. But that is about the only thing I could possibly have to critizice. And givning that the ER4SR is as good as it is, I am not even sure it is worth critizing as it is very close. It is a superb IEM and knowing RHA, it will probably last for an eternity!

I am also not using the cables that are included due to them, for me at least, being extreamly irritating and tend to focus mord on then than on the music. Instead I am using the Linum BaX cable, not sure if you all know about those but I can really recomend them if any of you are also in search of a cable. They are expensive though, but well worth the price
Welcome, and glad to hear you are liking these as much as we all are :)
RHA t20 were my first pair of earphones from RHA, very underrated if you ask me.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #1,424 of 3,158
Listening right now to CL2 with Tennmak gray tips and alo copper cable. Mojo as DAC.
I think the Tennmak tips make the sound even better than with spiral dots, larger and more 3d soundstage and sligthly smoother sound. This sound is really ‘liquid gold’.

I feel sorry for all the people and reviewers that will not take the time to burn these in, change cable and test different tips.They will never know what they are missing and I had many TOTL in past, even much more expensive. These CL2 are underpriced.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #1,425 of 3,158
Okay, so I just upgraded to a 400 gb micro sd card, and put my music library back onto the NW-ZX300.
Got some muse greatest hits back on, that I deleted 3 weeks ago to make space for my other music, I had thought the album sounded a bit harsh.
Listened to the whole album last night, and it was crystal clear, no distortion or peaks.
Went back to Evanescence on YouTube, that sounded terrible right around the same time, and to no surprise of mine, it sounds perfect.
If anyone can forward any tracks that they think are harsh, I would love to check them out.
Edit: hell even Californiacation by the red hot chili peppers is sounding good, I hear the loudness wars artifacts, but outside of that, it is not harsh or distorted.
Get music by empire of the sun, particularly the
Album Ice on the dune. Their album two vines also sounds a little rough. In particular, the song celebrate sounds very peaky, and it's probably my favorite song of theirs. If I'm in a mood for them, I'll probably stick to my it04 unless things smooth out...

I just ordered those tennmak tips along with a 200 gb SD card. I was going to get a larger one,. But my experiment with DSD so far has been a bust, so no need at this point.

It's funny how this pair had totally shifted my priorities of stuff to order. Basically just accessories for now....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back