Introducing Lawton Audio-- Denon Mods, Re-Cables, Woodies & More.
Jul 21, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #241 of 279
Hi KingStyles,
This was just a one-off, given the complexity of turning this wood and difficulty in finding blanks of correct quality and size for our cups. We are soliciting response from folks like you to find out if there is demand for an ultra-premium wood like this. We'll put you down as a "yes".
wink_face.gif

I expect a wood like this will be chiefly used by people like you with a D7000, or in the manufacture of our LA7000 headphone. It makes a difference because the D2000 cups are physically different from those that will fit a D7000 (or D5000).

I'm afraid we can't just turn the Amboyna cups out on demand; suitable wood has to be obtained here in the States, then shipped to Oz for turning, stopping in customs along the way where they sometimes drill wood blocks just to make sure there's no drugs hidden inside
rolleyes.gif
. That's right, customs can destroy impressive wood samples like these on a whim.

We won't be able to have these in 3 weeks, more like 8 weeks if everything went as planned.

Price might be around $319 per pair off the top of my head.

Quote:

What is the sound characteristics of that wood?

As I wrote below:

Quote:

The Amboyna Burl is a hard wood, but surprisingly light in weight. This gives it a crisp, clean, snappy sound with a neutral tone. It's not a super-warm or liquid sound, and tends to be a bit more forward relative to some of the woods we offer. Great for the listener who values immediacy, quickness, and resolution.

I don't want to over-state the changes that different woods can make; they are about on the same level as you get when you change cables. Some people find that to be a significant difference, yet there are also people who seem not to be especially sensitive to changes on that level. In the end, we are talking about adding or subtracting a bit of flavor/spice, rather than radically transforming the basic sound of the headphone. Nevertheless, it gives us the opportunity to further tailor your custom phone to better match your sonic priorities.

Jul 21, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #242 of 279
Well Ill keep my eye out for more info on them in the future. I think the price is reasonable. The characteristics work well with my setup since I need to stay awaty from darker tones.

Jul 30, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #244 of 279
[size=medium]Two New Standard Woods for Custom Cups[/size]
In our never-ending quest to find beautiful (and good-sounding) woods for our custom cups, we are pleased to announce the addition of two new flavors to our Standard Wood selection. As Standard Woods, these are new staples that we intend to offer on an on-going basis, as opposed to our Special Woods which are limited edition or one-time only.

[size=small]Silky Oak: Peaches 'N Cream[/size]
The Silky Oak is our lightest colored wood, with real peaches 'n cream tones, cut through with subtle strawberry and lavender bands, and cat's eye-flecks of golden wheat.

Silky oak is a light-weight, fairly low-density and fairly soft wood, a great all-arounder, with a twinge of extra euphony and a dash of extra bass bloom and fun-factor; mildly forward of center, but still well-behaved.

silkyoaktop.jpg

silkyoakside.jpg

silkyclosup.jpg

[size=small]Kalantus Cedar: A Real Drama Queen[/size]
Once we saw the raw blank for this wood, we had no choice but to break the bank to purchase the whole thing. In the flesh, these cups look like a dark and moody night, with thin clouds rolling in and obscuring a bright full moon. Stray beams of moonlight create an ominous glow behind the dark clouds. The effect is dramatic, and shifts and moves when you change angles.

Kalantus Cedar is a low-weight, low-density and soft wood, and definitely on the euphonic, sweet, smooth and creamy side of things, yet with a healthy sense of dynamics and bass heft, a great contrast that makes her a true drama queen. She'll caress your ear, while making your toes tap.

kalantustop.jpg

kalatusside2.jpg

kalantusclosup.jpg

Jul 30, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #245 of 279
Making it hard to resist.

Jul 30, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #246 of 279
Wow, ill have to pick those up in a month or so.

Aug 7, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #249 of 279
Quote:

Originally Posted by hrjacob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Time to burn them in
smily_headphones1.gif

YES. I have never experienced a phone that changes this much from burn-in

Aug 22, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #250 of 279
[size=medium]Special One-Time Only Sale on LA2000 Headphones![/size]

jarrahbed2.jpg

It’s long been our policy at Lawton Audio that we never offer sales or discounts on brand new products.

Nevertheless, for the first, and possibly only time, we are offering two brand new LA2000 headphones with Jena Labs cable and Furutech 1/4” jack, plus your choice of in stock custom cups for a special sale price. Once these two units are sold, they're gone. Available only in the two configuartions listed below.

No, we aren't changing or modifying the product line and/or closing out the LA2000. We are moving our base of operations in the near future, and just need to clear out these last two units to help us cover the cost of the move.
cool.gif

[size=medium]LA2000 w/ 5.5ft. Jena Cable + Furutech 1/4”: NEW[/size]

[size=small]Regular Price: $1049 (plus shipping).[/size]

[size=small]Sale Price: $849 (plus shipping). You save $200![/size]

[size=medium]LA2000 w/ 10ft. Jena Cable + Furutech 1/4”: NEW[/size]

[size=small]Regular Price: $1199 (plus shipping).[/size]

[size=small]Sale Price: $999 (plus shipping). You save $200![/size]

To purchase, please contact me here via e-mail, or through the website: Contact Us

Sep 26, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #251 of 279
[size=medium]Only one special sale LA2000 left![/size]
The 5.5ft. unit has sold, the 10ft. unit remains and is calling your name. Again, the odds of our having a sale on our brand new headphones any time in the future is unlikely, so if you've been eyeing an LA2000 with Jena cable, and need 10ft., this is your opportunity to score.

[size=medium]Red Cedar D5000/D7000 Demo Cups[/size]
Always popular, our demo cups sell fast. This pair is brand new, unused, the last remaining Red Cedar pair we have. The Red Cedar was replaced by the Kalantus Cedar, identical in composition and sound, but arguably more dramatic in appearance. The Red Cedar is very light-weight and low density wood. It has a rich, liquid, full sound, with nice bass weight and punch. I love the sound of this wood, it's one of my personal favs, FWIW. Not necessarily the best choice for someone looking for a dry, analytical sound; we have other woods that will ring your bells! As always, our cups are larger than stock with more air behind the driver and create a larger sense of space and dimensionality to the soundstage.

Regular $229. This pair can be yours for [size=small]$159[/size]!

redcedardemotop.jpg

redcedarangle.jpg

[size=medium]New Guinea Rosewood D5000/D7000 cups-- a Premium Wood, last pair![/size]
Roshan, our chief wood turner was sitting on this pair for his own personal stash of cups for his D7000. As soon as I found out about them, I talked him into giving them up.
evil_smiley.gif
This is the best pair of the 3 we turned from the Rosewood, just awesome. This is a non-standard Premium Wood, and we are unlikely to turn more of them in the near future unless there is demand and we can find suitable blanks. This wood is a great alternative if you were considering the Sheaok; it has the same crisp, clean, focused and resolving sound. Neutral tone for the more analytically inclined listener. If you want romance or warmth, we have other woods for you. They look like a violent storm happening on planet Jupiter, wild.

New Guinea Rosewood D5000/D7000 cups: [size=small]$249[/size] pair.

Check them out:

rosewoodcounterfront.jpg

rosewoodcounterangle.jpg

rosewoodcounterclose.jpg

[size=medium]Silky Oak Pics[/size]
Finally, we are so proud and pleased with our latest standard wood, Silky Oak, I wanted to provide some pics of the finished product on an LA Series phone, so here we go. It sounds as good as it looks; it's one of our lightest weight and softest woods, so it has a full range, liquid sound, with nice bass punch. For those looking for a warmer, more mellow sound, or a more analytical sound, we have other wods for you.

silkyoakhang.jpg

silkyoakcounter.jpg

silkyoaksideclose.jpg

Sep 27, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #252 of 279
Wow, if they sound half as good as they look, I will be a very happy customer. The woods sound characteristics is exactly what I was looking for and I think they will be a nice opposite of the hd800.

Oct 6, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #254 of 279
[size=medium]Help![/size]
Received a D7000 today without its deluxe box, there was no note in it, no information as to whose it might be. It was addressed to "T. Lang... (remainder of name withheld)" c/o Lawton Audio, however, I have no record of contact with anyone by that name, nor have I received payment, nor was I expecting this package.

Hopefully, the owner will see this and can provide proof of ownership by providing other info specific to this shipment. Thank you.

Oct 29, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #255 of 279
[size=medium]LA7000 Reviewed by Enjoy the Music![/size]
Greetings, we are pleased to have a brand new professional review of our flagship LA7000 up now on Enjoy the Music. Happy reading!

Lawton Audio LA7000 Headphones Each pair are unique, almost artisanal in execution and finish. Review By Linden Park

We particularly like this quote from the review's conclusion:

Quote:

I must say that among all the headphones I mentioned in the review, including the HE90 Orpheus, if I were forced to keep only a single pair of headphones, I would keep the LA7000s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back