Introducing the Audeze MM-500!
Sep 20, 2023 at 10:05 PM Post #466 of 476
The cable pictured on the MM-500 was a Meze PCUHD Copper 4.4mm.
The cable pictured on the LCDX 2021 is a Meze PCUHD Silver 4.4mm.
I love those copper Meze cables, I have a couple sets. Real nice build quality and connectors.

Apr 11, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #471 of 476
Does the mm500 offer much more detail/clarity than the 2021 LCD x?

Call me crazy but I’d take the X with EQ over the MM-500.

That being said, if reading the word “EQ” triggered your gag reflex, then get the MM-500.

May 17, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #473 of 476
Hi everyone, I’ve recently bought the MM-500 and have been using them for mixing/general listening through my MacBook Pro M1 Max headphone port and they sound great! I’ve done some research regarding suitable DAC/AMP options, including trying a friend’s iFi xDSD Gryphon, and surprisingly I noticed basically no difference from them being plugged straight into my MacBook. From what I understand the newer MacBook Pro models have particularly good built-in DAC/AMPs that equal or surpass a lot of external portable options.
So my real question is this - what rough price point would I have to reach with a DAC/AMP to discern any noticeable differences? Or is even a moderate setup with some balanced cables going to be a decent upgrade? As I only tried my friend’s Gryphon with the standard cable

May 19, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #474 of 476
Hi everyone, I’ve recently bought the MM-500 and have been using them for mixing/general listening through my MacBook Pro M1 Max headphone port and they sound great! I’ve done some research regarding suitable DAC/AMP options, including trying a friend’s iFi xDSD Gryphon, and surprisingly I noticed basically no difference from them being plugged straight into my MacBook. From what I understand the newer MacBook Pro models have particularly good built-in DAC/AMPs that equal or surpass a lot of external portable options.
So my real question is this - what rough price point would I have to reach with a DAC/AMP to discern any noticeable differences? Or is even a moderate setup with some balanced cables going to be a decent upgrade? As I only tried my friend’s Gryphon with the standard cable
If you're happy with them straight of the MacBook, I wouldn't buy anything specifically for them. I've listened to the MM-500 on the iBasso DX320 Max Ti, DC-Elite, Chord Mojo 2 and I can't hear much of a difference between them. If I recall correctly, Josh Valour said that the MacBook/MM-500 pairing was one of the best. I also don't hear much difference between balanced and unbalanced cables. I have the copper and silver plated Meze cables and they sound the same to me on the MM-500.

May 19, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #475 of 476
If you're happy with them straight of the MacBook, I wouldn't buy anything specifically for them. I've listened to the MM-500 on the iBasso DX320 Max Ti, DC-Elite, Chord Mojo 2 and I can't hear much of a difference between them. If I recall correctly, Josh Valour said that the MacBook/MM-500 pairing was one of the best. I also don't hear much difference between balanced and unbalanced cables. I have the copper and silver plated Meze cables and they sound the same to me on the MM-500.
Thanks for that reply! Very useful experience shared, I saw that Josh Valour review too and he did say that, I guess they really did concentrate on making these easy to run. I actually just today saw a recent video from The Headphone Show where they tested a number of high-end headphones straight off the newer MacBook Pro and the ones that came out on top were the MM-500, peaking at 99.3db!

May 19, 2024 at 9:02 PM Post #476 of 476
Thanks for that reply! Very useful experience shared, I saw that Josh Valour review too and he did say that, I guess they really did concentrate on making these easy to run. I actually just today saw a recent video from The Headphone Show where they tested a number of high-end headphones straight off the newer MacBook Pro and the ones that came out on top were the MM-500, peaking at 99.3db!
The MacBook Pro tends to have a lack of gain. 99.3 dB is quite low, once you account for peaks in music that has a large dynamic range. Still, I agree the headphone out is pretty good.

I've got a pair of MM500s in for review, and I'll include my impressions out of my MacBook Pro. So far, the imaging from them is excellent, though the treble may be a bit dull for some tastes. I find a cable upgrade to help them, but I was brought up around musical instruments, so I'm pretty sensitive to small differences. Other people may not be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back