Introducing the LCD-i3
Nov 18, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #376 of 1,041
Audeze says no: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/introducing-the-lcd-i3.913365/page-21#post-15281917
They clearly have different drivers, because the i4 requires more power than the i3. There have been a few comparisons between i3 and i4 in this thread (unfortunately difficult to find via search).

Audeze has clearly stated that the i4 drivers are different from the i3. However, I do not recall hearing a lot about whether the i3 drivers are different (or much different) from the isine 20. I may have missed it but I think they've been a little coy about that. Its not entirely clear what other improvements were made to the isine 20 to make the i3 other than the casing but multiple reviews have indicated the i3 sounds better. It may be adjustments in tuning or DSP. Not sure we know for sure.

Edit - while I love my i3, I do think it's fair to question whether a second hand isine 20 which can be purchased for well under $500 is a better value than the i3 even considering the cost of the BT cable.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #377 of 1,041
Thanks to all suggestions and help looking for an aftermarket cable for my LCD i3, last week, before ordering one from Amazon at $19, I email Audeze costumer service asking about it and the guy was really helpful with the information .
I’ll copy here his email to help anyone with my same doubt. About the ones I ordered from Amazon, they are arriving today, but I’ll probably get to them in a couple of days due to a lot of work right now, if they work, then I’ll post the link in here, I don’t wanna suggest it before using them.
Here is the email from Audeze:

Hi Hansel

Thanks for the inquiry. While the LCDi3's two-pin connectors aren't proprietary and many standard/aftermarket connectors will work, we did throw in a small twist that's important to note:
You'll notice a groove on the connector of the cable (under the L and R on the iSINE cable), and a corresponding tab inside the headphone connector. This is to ensure correct polarity. When using any aftermarket connector/cable, it's important to make sure the connector fits within this tab so it doesn't damage the connector inside the headphones, as this would not be covered by warranty. The recommended dimensions for connectors without this groove is 2.6mm x 5mm, and the pins are .75mm in diameter, but .78mm will also work.

Here's a diagram of the pin assignment as you look at the cable connectors with the lettering/groove facing you:
iSINE%20and%20LCDi4%20pin%20out.jpg

We hope this helps!

Nov 22, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #380 of 1,041
Has anyone done a direct comparison between the LCD-i3 and the LCD-i4?

Many people consider the i4 to be 'endgame' head/earphones. I understand the frequency response of the i4 goes down to 5hz, where as the i3 goes down to 10hz.

Would the bass and overall transparency between the headphones really make a huge difference in the low range to justify the huge difference in price?

Is the difference between the two really night and day driven from an Astell and Kern DAP, such as the Ak320 or the SP1000M?

I've ordered the i3's from Audeze but the shipment to the UK has been delayed, I've been waiting nearly 2 weeks for them to be delivered, but I was thinking maybe I should cancel the order and buy a second hand pair of the LCD-i4's instead.

If I do that, however, I don't want to be left with the feeling that I should have just waited for the i3 to arrive and saved £1200, which is the price difference between the i3 and i4.

If anyone can help me decide, please I would appreciate it.

Someone said the i3 is nothing but the Isine20 wrapped in i4 casing, is this true?

I have had mine for about a month now. I have custom Roxannes, Tin Hi-Fi P1’s and various other Chifi sets that I all enjoy. I absolutely love the I-3’s and have trouble putting them down. I use them through a Chord Mojo but mostly with the iSine cable with my iphone eq’d with the Audeze app. Cannot say enough good things about them. Go for it you will not be disappointed!

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #381 of 1,041
I have had mine for about a month now. I have custom Roxannes, Tin Hi-Fi P1’s and various other Chifi sets that I all enjoy. I absolutely love the I-3’s and have trouble putting them down. I use them through a Chord Mojo but mostly with the iSine cable with my iphone eq’d with the Audeze app. Cannot say enough good things about them. Go for it you will not be disappointed!

Nov 29, 2019 at 12:04 AM Post #383 of 1,041
Only rthe ear fins fit me. The hooks are way too big. they have medium and large...why no small size?

I tried to get both fins and hooks on the i3 but seems no luck...is it possible?

Byt I do like the sound. Even when in aptxhd

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #388 of 1,041

Nice review. Do you think the improvements over the isine20 are hardware related or DSP related? Separately, kicking myself for not grabbing an i4 at the black friday sale for $995. How much of an improvement do you think the i4 offers? I'm pretty satisfied with my i3 but there is always that sense that there is something better ...

Dec 2, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #389 of 1,041
Thanks! I don’t think so as I did try them with just their standard audio cable out of my Hugo2 and no DSP or EQ. The iSine20 are great but these bring out some more refinements amp n the midrange and soundscape that just really put a big smile on my face.

Dec 3, 2019 at 4:03 AM Post #390 of 1,041
Thanks! I don’t think so as I did try them with just their standard audio cable out of my Hugo2 and no DSP or EQ. The iSine20 are great but these bring out some more refinements amp n the midrange and soundscape that just really put a big smile on my face.
Do you still own the iSine20 or are you going from memory?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back