Introducing the SMSL D400 Pro USB Desktop DAC - Now Available on Apos Audio
Sep 15, 2023 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26
Hi all,

We're thrilled to announce the arrival of the SMSL D400 Pro—a USB Desktop DAC meticulously designed to enrich your sound. With its flagship AKM DAC chips, it delivers unparalleled sound fidelity. The CK-03 clock processing circuit eliminates distractions, letting you immerse yourself fully in every melody. With gold-plated terminals and a user-friendly remote, the D400 Pro brings ease and sophistication right to your fingertips.

Here's the link to the blog for more info: https://apos.audio/blogs/news/npa-smsl-d400pro-dac

SMSL D400 Pro High Resolution USB Desktop DAC.jpg

Apos Audio Free Shipping, Lowest Price Guarantee, Apos 2nd Year Warranty and 45-Day Return Policy on all carried products. Check out Apos Ensembles, Apos Specials, and Apos Certified products. Stay updated on Apos Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/aposaudio https://www.instagram.com/aposaudio/ https://apos.audio/ contact@apos.audio
Sep 21, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #3 of 26
Looks good but I’m going to hold a bit til next week when the new one comes out and see if the D400 Pro Mk2 is better.
LOL, SMSL topping churning out products at crazy pace, I just saw the ad for smsl vmv d2r last week selling for about the same as a d400ex, using rohm chips.

Sep 24, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #4 of 26
LOL, SMSL topping churning out products at crazy pace, I just saw the ad for smsl vmv d2r last week selling for about the same as a d400ex, using rohm chips.
Yeah their line up is confusing since too many different products. Hard to differentiate which product is aiming at who and what.

Also doesn't help that if all their dac measure super well, do they all sound the same? And if it sound the same do we need to buy another one?

It's a very confusing matter..... :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #5 of 26
I was reading up on this DAC and there is not a lot of literature so that was finished rather quickly. I am a bit confused by this statement that appears on a few sites and I hope that someone can help me: "Dual mono design, one AK4499EX per channel". Does this imply there are two ak4499ex chips? In the youtube clip there is a snapshot of the board that shows only one ak4499ex....so is it a mono DAC?

Oct 11, 2023 at 3:20 AM Post #7 of 26
I was reading up on this DAC and there is not a lot of literature so that was finished rather quickly. I am a bit confused by this statement that appears on a few sites and I hope that someone can help me: "Dual mono design, one AK4499EX per channel". Does this imply there are two ak4499ex chips? In the youtube clip there is a snapshot of the board that shows only one ak4499ex....so is it a mono DAC?
The 4499EX is a new design which basically makes a separation of digital and analog circuitry, AK4191 for digital and AK4499EX for analogue

Oct 11, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #8 of 26
The 4499EX is a new design which basically makes a separation of digital and analog circuitry, AK4191 for digital and AK4499EX for analogue
Thank you for trying to clear up my confusion, but I'm still not smart enough to understand the how the statement "one AK4499EX per channel" translates to using one chip for both channels. I believe you are trying to convey the digital/analog processing duty separation but I'm stuck in the literature of how the left and right channels are converted from digital to analog. Appreciate the reply.

Oct 30, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #15 of 26
Cannot use the HDMI connection between NuPrime CDT-8 Pro and SMSL M400.
The frustrating part is that the pin-out configurations all match up except for the last three (pins 17, (18) and 19)--actually just pins 17 and 19:

For the CDT-8: GND, (NC), NC
For the M400: NC, (NC), GND

WHY???

All I have on hand is a [Pangea Audio] Toslink: decent but limited to 192kHz.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back