Introducing the xDuoo TA-20 Plus - Now Available on Apos Audio
Sep 10, 2023 at 1:52 AM Post #16 of 56
Hi, I currently own the MT-604 and I'm enjoying it with Focal Utopias OG. How would you compare the sound/performance and compatibility with dynamic driver headphones vs the MT-604?
I own the mt604's as well, but I have only used them once or twice. It had this graininess that I did not like, couldn't get pass that, so its just been collecting dust. The original ta20 didn't have that grain, but its QC was an issue for me. If I like something, I use it everyday, and I need it to last. If they addressed the QC issues with the plus model, I'll probably pick one up, just to have a balanced tube amp I can mess around with.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #17 of 56
Do people actually trust this brand..?
I owned the mt604 for about a year and it performed very well; was really solid build quality and forward thinking design, though i did swap the tubes immediately. got one of these ta20+ otw.
Hi, I currently own the MT-604 and I'm enjoying it with Focal Utopias OG. How would you compare the sound/performance and compatibility with dynamic driver headphones vs the MT-604?
looking forward to this comparison myself, as i was very seriously considering buying another mt604 when this ta20+ dropped. given that it's from the same company, it's clearly billed as a step up from the mt604, i have significant expectactions based on my very enjoyable experience with th mt604. i'm gonna stick with stock tubes for now and i have a moondrop kato(single DD) and thieaudio monarch mk3 (tribrid) i'm going to be listening with, so i'll update ya'll this week, delivery is scheduled for tommorrow (9/11)

Sep 10, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #18 of 56
I owned the mt604 for about a year and it performed very well; was really solid build quality and forward thinking design, though i did swap the tubes immediately. got one of these ta20+ otw.

looking forward to this comparison myself, as i was very seriously considering buying another mt604 when this ta20+ dropped. given that it's from the same company, it's clearly billed as a step up from the mt604, i have significant expectactions based on my very enjoyable experience with th mt604. i'm gonna stick with stock tubes for now and i have a moondrop kato(single DD) and thieaudio monarch mk3 (tribrid) i'm going to be listening with, so i'll update ya'll this week, delivery is scheduled for tommorrow (9/11)
Fantastic -- look forward to your impressions!

Sep 11, 2023 at 1:29 AM Post #20 of 56
I might have been a little too harsh on the mt604. I have my Utopia OG's plugged into them right now, and it's very enjoyable. There isn't as much grain as I remembered. Actually very nice sounding. Using stock tubes and Mogami xlr's with the original switch mode power supply. Noise floor is very low, almost solid state like. Hmm, now I'm even more curious about the ta-20 plus.

Sep 11, 2023 at 11:24 PM Post #22 of 56
I might have been a little too harsh on the mt604. I have my Utopia OG's plugged into them right now, and it's very enjoyable. There isn't as much grain as I remembered. Actually very nice sounding. Using stock tubes and Mogami xlr's with the original switch mode power supply. Noise floor is very low, almost solid state like. Hmm, now I'm even more curious about the ta-20 plus.
i just hooked up my ta20+, input is the cayin ru7 and driving thieaudio monarch mk3, all using the 4.4mm bal connections...i'm getting a very black background, no noise i can hear there at all. to be fair the mt604 is the only other tube amp i've ever owned(also a hybrid w/ transistors on the output stage like the ta20+, and i used the ru6 w/ that) but it is sounding very nice so far, even before any tube rolling.

Sep 11, 2023 at 11:30 PM Post #23 of 56
i just hooked up my ta20+, input is the cayin ru7 and driving thieaudio monarch mk3, all using the 4.4mm bal connections...i'm getting a very black background, no noise i can hear there at all. to be fair the mt604 is the only other tube amp i've ever owned(also a hybrid w/ transistors on the output stage like the ta20+, and i used the ru6 w/ that) but it is sounding very nice so far, even before any tube rolling.
Yeah, some of their stock tubes are actually really nice. I have 2 pairs of nos mullard 12au7's in case I don't like the stock tubes. Any improvements from the mt604?

Sep 11, 2023 at 11:43 PM Post #24 of 56
Yeah, some of their stock tubes are actually really nice. I have 2 pairs of nos mullard 12au7's in case I don't like the stock tubes. Any improvements from the mt604?
just the first listen, so far...but it's definitely a wider soundstage and blacker background, i think i need to do the proper tube rolling for a fair comparison cuz the new chinese tubes are known to not be the quality of the soviet or older american tubes

it's also a good bit more weighty/solid build and more well protected with the cage over the tubes, that's not necessarily giving better sound quality, but it's a good bit more substantial feeling, as well as more precision in the overall build quality, connectors, front voltmeter, digital volume control...it looks and feels the full step up for sure

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2023 at 3:44 AM Post #25 of 56
just the first listen, so far...but it's definitely a wider soundstage and blacker background, i think i need to do the proper tube rolling for a fair comparison cuz the new chinese tubes are known to not be the quality of the soviet or older american tubes

it's also a good bit more weighty/solid build and more well protected with the cage over the tubes, that's not necessarily giving better sound quality, but it's a good bit more substantial feeling, as well as more precision in the overall build quality, connectors, front voltmeter, digital volume control...it looks and feels the full step up for sure
How is the voltage meter looking? Getting mine in two days. It's a balanced amplifier, so I assume the rca inputs in the back are not as good as the xlr inputs.

Sep 13, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #26 of 56
How is the voltage meter looking? Getting mine in two days. It's a balanced amplifier, so I assume the rca inputs in the back are not as good as the xlr inputs.
i'm only using the 4.4 connections rn, i don't have much experience at all with rca or xlr connectors. The whole look is very classy, including the volt meter. With my iems, monarch mk3, at about 25-30 volume, it hardly moves, gets a nice little bumping visualizer effect up around 45-50 but that is really really loud for me and i'd not want to blow out my transducers. hopefully i'm going to get some desktop speakers soon that i'll be able to get that full visualizer effect on

Sep 14, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #27 of 56
So, I just got it today and there are a few things that could be a problem for potential buyers. First thing, the voltage on the back was set to 220v instead of 110v which would not have been a problem if the unit's power switch wasn't already on. So the moment I connected my power cord, it semi turned on, the number dials did not turn on and the two driver tubes didn't light up... wasn't until I checked the back did I notice it was set on 220v. Don't know if it caused damage or not. It's a case of lower voltage into higher voltage device, so probably not. Just make sure to check the voltage on the unit before plugging it in.
Second is that the tube trays especially the rectifier tray is loose, don't know if that's be design or not, but when I try seating the rectifier tube, it does not feel reassuring as it doesn't seat firmly. The driver tubes are not as loose.

Other than the tube tray for the rectifier, the unit seems well built. Can't wait to share some listening impressions.

Attachments

• IMG_0221.jpg
    IMG_0221.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0222.jpg
    IMG_0222.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Sep 15, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #28 of 56

Do you hear a slight hum from the unit? The background is black for sure, but there is a very slight hum from the amp itself. Curious to know if you hear it as well. I swapped the driver tubes for nos 12au7 mullards from tube depot. Got them when they were 150.00 a piece, now they're 339 a piece (prices are crazy). Not sure if I like the stock tubes more or less. It's clearer with the stock tubes, more tubey with the mullards. Still burning it in. Contemplating on whether I should purchase a nos rectifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back