iPhone 4S + E17 or Sansa Clip+/Cowon
Apr 16, 2012 at 11:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Rockem

Head-Fier
Hello all,

After I bought the V-moda M80 (which I like very much), I discovered that my "professional" sound card at work doesn't have the best headphones output
So, I'm looking at alternatives for listen to music at work/on the road.

Sound quality wise, what will be the better quality?
iPhone 4S + E17 ? (also will be used for connecting to the computer)
Sansa Clip+ ?
Cowon <suggesions?>

Any other suggestions are of course welcomed.

Thanks,
Eli

Apr 17, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #5 of 9
If you want a DAC with your pc then E17. The DAC won't work with your iPhone.
Sansa vs Cowon difference is on price and features. Audio wise both are good.

Apr 17, 2012 at 4:41 AM Post #6 of 9
I was just reading up on the Rocoo P the other day

http://www.head-fi.org/t/586947/rocoo-p-dap-full-review

Seems to basically have a great amplifier built right into the DAP and is a very attractive and minimalistic piece. Love the fact that it has real buttons compared to my Nano and the 5 buttons supposedly work very intuitively.

Pros would be that it looks really good, apparently has an amazing amplifier built straight in (perhaps better than the E17 even, but you would have to scour to find such comparisons), has a decent battery life independent of your phone, has physical buttons and most likely will never need another amp or anything else connected to it. 

I am so tempted to buy it myself but three things prevent me from making the purchase:

#1. Battery life is around 12 hours. That is half the time of my iPod Nano.
#2. Has a great amp but I just purchased a really nice amp so its biggest strength is pointless to me.
#3. Price is a little steep at $180 but considering you get a pretty good amp and DAC built right into the DAP and that it is just one piece, I think it is a reasonable price.

Just a suggestion. It doesn't cost much more than the Fiio E17 (maybe there are cheaper street prices) and does not require the annoyance of carrying two devices that are connected to each other and will also not eat away at your phones battery.

Apr 17, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #7 of 9
The Rocoo is almost in nano category, with 4 GB space ??? Kinda low on storage isn't it ?

Apr 17, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #8 of 9
Yeah but it supports SD cards, the thing that is lacking from apple products. I prefer SD storage as thats transferable to so many things and you can get pretty huge SD cards too. Overall, if I didn't plan on getting an amp, I would say this was a much better solution than the Nano.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back