iPhone owner looking for better codecs
Mar 22, 2022 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

smessvader

New Head-Fier
I have an iPhone and have really been enjoying the massive improvement in sound quality switching from [Spotify and AirPodPros] to [Tidal and my Shure Aonic 50s and Final ZE3000s]. But I get the sense that I could get even better sound through better BT codecs than AAC, like AptX HD or LDAC - is that true? What's a good affordable way to do that? Should I get an android phone (just for wifi) that gives me those codecs? Should I get a dedicated music player? Probably open to $200 at this point, but maybe more if its really worth it. Thanks!!

Mar 22, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #2 of 7
It's a lot less expensive to get a Bluetooth music player than a new phone.

The question is how much the new codecs are really going to improve the experience. Part of the new codecs was improving latency -- helping videos sync better, not really crucial for music -- as well as more hi-res music.

Best way to test would be to borrow someone's newer Android phone, log in to your Tidal, and see if there's enough of a difference with the better codecs. Then get a player (Sony, Shanling, Hiby) that includes them if you feel strongly about it.

Mar 22, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #3 of 7
It's a lot less expensive to get a Bluetooth music player than a new phone.

The question is how much the new codecs are really going to improve the experience. Part of the new codecs was improving latency -- helping videos sync better, not really crucial for music -- as well as more hi-res music.

Best way to test would be to borrow someone's newer Android phone, log in to your Tidal, and see if there's enough of a difference with the better codecs. Then get a player (Sony, Shanling, Hiby) that includes them if you feel strongly about it.
Thanks for the good advice. Do you know if standalone BT music players stream/download from Tidal or if I would have to download individual files?

Mar 23, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #5 of 7
Many new DAPs also have Bluetooth. I forgot to mention FiiO among the DAPs, but it looks like FiiO M6 has Tidal compatibility and lossless codecs -- I haven't heard it, but the reviews here and on other audio sites are enthusiastic.

https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Titanium-Lossless-Bluetooth-Spotify/dp/B08HV5K7G1
Thanks again - I saw that there was one left and put it in my cart, but 5 minutes later someone else must have bought it as now its gone :frowning2: Seems like it was somewhat unique at that price point but I'll keep poking around...

Mar 23, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #6 of 7
Yeah, looks like FiiO decided to give up on budget hi-res players, what a shame.

You can still find used/refurb M6 on Ebay -- and poke around the Classifieds here on Head-Fi for DAPs.

Mar 23, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #7 of 7
So it turns out my son's android phone uses LDAC, I tried a side by side with my Shure Aonic 50s, and quickly preferred the AAC - the bass in particular was noticeably tighter compared to the LDAC where it sounded a little boomier. Perhaps it would be different on a dedicated music player, but this experiment dissuaded me somewhat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back