iPod 5.5gen
Nov 6, 2012 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

Nicholasheadfi2

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys
I am a music lover and always strive for better sound , I own an iPhone4s and have the sure535s
And I was recently reading that the older models of iPod have a better dac of the name of
Wolfson , in the comparison to the cirrus dac in the newer models ' wolfson dac was and is much
More superior apparently

I was thinking to purchase an iPod 5.5 gen iPod for that audio grade quality from the wolfson
And this is my question

If the wolfson dac is better in that model in particular what about using an eq on that model?
On my 4s I have a flac player where there is an onboard equaliser which is what it needs cos
The stock eq on the 4s is rubbish

So for example if I buy a iPod 5.5gen is there any way of getting an equaliser for it?
I know you can use apple lossless on iPod but what about eq settings , can anyone help
With this

Thanks guys.........

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 53
The wolfson chip is not superior, as it has bass rolloff. The cirrus logic chip is the better of the 2. It's flat across the board, producing no bass rolloff. And whoever is claiming the wolfson chip is better is either lying to you & themselves, or is a blind fanboi. :rolleyes:

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #3 of 53
Yes ipod 5g/5.5g sounds excellent to these ears when they are rockboxed to play lossless (flac's) audio files. I say this NOT because I knew it has the wolfson sound chip. I ONLY knew it has the wolfson after the sound blew me away. I guess that speaks for the wolfson but I really don't care about wolfson only sound.
wink_face.gif

The rockbox provides very good EQ's, but I hardly use it because it is not necessary to me.

Nov 6, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #5 of 53
Be patient, as I'm not the only person who will say that the wolfson chip isn't "superior". And RMAA testing is what also helped to proved the cirrus logic chips perform better & sound better.

Nov 6, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #9 of 53
Be patient, as I'm not the only person who will say that the wolfson chip isn't "superior". And RMAA testing is what also helped to proved the cirrus logic chips perform better & sound better.

The only proof that counts is to hear the sound yourself. If you don't like it then it is not for you regardless how good/bad the wolfson is.

Wolfson is overrated. My Classic 7G sounds better to me than my sister's 5G iPod Video. :cool:
Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2

Nov 6, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #10 of 53
Thanks for the input guys I will surely check out the sound from the wolfson
But just another quick question

Would my iPhone 4s with the sure535s benefit from a external dac like the fiio or other?

Would a dac change the sound signature ?

Thanks guys .......;

Nov 6, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #11 of 53
Wolfson is overrated. My Classic 7G sounds better to me than my sister's 5G iPod Video. :cool:
Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2

I'll be quite honest and say I prefer the sq of the Classic 7G better than the iPod Video 5.5G I have now. Eventually I'll go back to a Classic,...but what do I know? :wink:

Nov 6, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #13 of 53
I think I have also overrated the wolfson since I have collected 600GB's of ipod 5g/5.5g. :cool:

That statement actually makes no sense. You prefer the 5.5G,...I give you that. But the 5.5G is the lesser of the 2 (5.5G vs classic 7G). Facts are facts, and you just state an opinion. :cool:

Nov 6, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #15 of 53
The fact is my opinion is better than yours. Your opinion sucks. jkd. :)

Hmm, you my be joking but your opening the door to a flame war,...against forum rules - not a good idea. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back