iPod and Sennheiser HD 595's - do I need an amp?
Mar 17, 2009 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

subseasniper

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all.

This is my first post so please be gentle.

I have a fourth gen iPod (monochrome display) which I no longer use everyday and have filled it with lossless files. I currently have Sennhsier PX 200's which sound good with th eiPod but I will shortly be receiving a pair of Sennheiser HD 595's.

The 595's have a 50 ohm impedance.

I am unsure whether or not to get a headphone amp as the research I have carried out on the web gives mixed messages.

So, my question is, given the fairly low impedance would I gain anything by buying a headphone amp.

If so I am planning to get a PA2V2 battery powered amp that gets good reviews.

Any advice to clear the muddied waters would be great.

Also, I have been looking at a Pure i10 ipod dock which connects to the line out and has a headphone output, would this give me a higher output and/or better sound compared to the 595's fitted directly to the iPods headphone socket?

Thanks in advance.
darthsmile.gif

Mar 17, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #2 of 16
Yes. Just tried the HD555 w/ my ipod and it doesn't sound that good.

Mar 18, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by subseasniper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello all.

This is my first post so please be gentle.

I have a fourth gen iPod (monochrome display) which I no longer use everyday and have filled it with lossless files. I currently have Sennhsier PX 200's which sound good with th eiPod but I will shortly be receiving a pair of Sennheiser HD 595's.

The 595's have a 50 ohm impedance.

I am unsure whether or not to get a headphone amp as the research I have carried out on the web gives mixed messages.

So, my question is, given the fairly low impedance would I gain anything by buying a headphone amp.

If so I am planning to get a PA2V2 battery powered amp that gets good reviews.

Any advice to clear the muddied waters would be great.

Also, I have been looking at a Pure i10 ipod dock which connects to the line out and has a headphone output, would this give me a higher output and/or better sound compared to the 595's fitted directly to the iPods headphone socket?

Thanks in advance.
darthsmile.gif

Welcome! I have the 595's and yes they benefit greatly with a decent amp. you get a better soundstage and more all around improved sound- ie. better deeper bass, clearer highs, richer mids ect.ect.

They sound pretty good straight out of the ipod because of the low resistance, but compared to being amped a little on the "thin" side. The LO will give you a good clean signal for amping, especially on that 4th gen.

Mar 18, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #7 of 16
Guys,

Thanks for the advice, its very much appreciated and things are becoming clearer now.

As for an amp, portability is not a huge issue. I have been looking at a Pro-ject Headbox MK II on ebay.

Any opinions RE suitability for driving 595's from an iPod or thoughts as to quality.

Failing that I am open to suggestions, anything up to about $80.

Also, I am visiting Florida (from the UK) next week, are there any decent hi-fi stores in state where I could pick up a headphone amp that would work back here in the UK?

Thanks again.

Mar 18, 2009 at 9:22 AM Post #8 of 16
No probs!

I'm out and about frequently so went with the portable set-up, too scared to start looking at desktop stuff-wallet can't take it!

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/goo...-100-a-299697/

It might be worth stretching a little if you can? Price/Performance sweet spot only starts around 150 USD I reckon.

I use my 595's amped from an iPod regularly-mainly with lossless files but often with high bitrate mp3s as well...sound is great as long as you are using a line out cable...many available in the FS forum here or on ebay. If you are not going to be moving the amp a dock with a line-out into an amp would be ideal as amping a headphone out signal is pretty pointless...

I'm not in the States so can't help you there mate!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #9 of 16
Interesting link there. I have been checking out the CMOY amps on ebay and thought they would be useless as they are so cheap.

So, I am thinking of a line-out connector from my ipod then into an amp of some sort. This is the bit that is still confusing me. So much choice, vastly differing opinions. I looked at the iBasso T4 and could probably stretch to that. Is the sound quality up to much with the T4?

Or, would the cheap route and a CMOY amp do the 595's justice?
confused_face.gif

Mar 19, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #10 of 16
I don't know about the T4, but I second the notion that the D2 Boa would be a great match for the 595s. The Boa really helped with refining the bass on my 555s. I'd assume the 595s would benefit even more from amping.

Mar 20, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #11 of 16
subseasniper: I reckon if you can stretch to the T4 then go for it-I've got the D2 and D10 (Auditioned loads of other amps) For the money iBasso are making the best value portables around- their sound is great, check out this review by Jamato (A legend btw
smily_headphones1.gif
) :

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/i...5/index32.html

Customer service, turnaround, build quality are all top notch as well...the 595's are quality so feeding them a bit of quality is advisable
smily_headphones1.gif

iPod-->LOD-->T4-->595's should work really well for a long time...

x3sphere: you're right the 595's REALLY benefit from amping, good synergy with the Boa, I like the combo v much! Once I get my 650's we'll have almost identical gear! lol!

Mar 20, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #12 of 16
Yeah, both T4 and D2 Boa would be a great match to go with HD595s.
Only problem with the T4 is that it's so thin and tiny that once you strap it with the iPod, you might have trouble plugging HD595's quite large jack to it
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #13 of 16
595's are on the way. I had a listen to a pair in duty free the other day. They were unamped and plugged into my iPod Nano. I was impressed at how good they sounded and the sound seemed loud enough without an amp.

From what I have read here it seems an amp will improve the sound. I reckon now the the way to go is to source a CMoy amp I can build at home and get a Line out cable for the iPod.

Where can I get a decent CMoy amp that I can home build?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back