iPod Classic 5.0 30gb and iPod Classic 7.0 160gb
Jan 6, 2014 at 11:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

FilipinoAko

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,
I got the chance to buy a used iPod Classic 5.0 and iPod Classic 7.0 at Craigslist. The reason why I bought these is to compare their sound quality. On a blind test, I played same set of songs same volume level, same headphones (Grado SR 80i) and I realized that iPod Classic 5.0 sounds better than 7.0.

The iPod 5.0 has a better separation, the vocals, the soundstage was fantastic. While the 7.0 is kind of flat, so narrow and the left-right doesn't seem to separate the instruments. 

I am just contemplating to keep the 7.0 because it's newer and has 160gb of space. On other hand, I am also thinking of keeping the 5.0 and upgrade the hard drive to a flash drive. Would LOD and an amp improves the quality of the 7.0

What do you think is the best way to decide? I am torn between the two. 

Jan 7, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #2 of 2
It depends on your tastes. 5.5 sounds warmer, 7.0 has sterile and more detailed sound.
Classic's line-out is very similar to his headphone out, while 5.5 has some differences (and they are good). 
HO of 5.5 sound good only with Rockbox (rockbox.org) firmware. 
As for me, i like Classic more, just my cup of tea.  
Aaaaaand, bad iClassics are 80Gb and 160GbFAT. Dunno why, but their sound is not good. After 120GbSLIM and newer (from 2009 up to 2014) 160GbSLIMs has a very good sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back