Is an expensive LOD necessary?
Jun 8, 2012 at 11:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

branqazwsx

New Head-Fier
I currently have an iPod Classic going into a PA2V2 amp with a $7 Fiio L3 LOD. Coming out of the amp I have a set of Beyerdynamic DT 1350's. I was wondering if I am missing that much with my cheep little LOD. Do the more expensive LOD's from places like ALO Audio offer that much more to my music listing expensive?

Thanks!

Jun 9, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:
I currently have an iPod Classic going into a PA2V2 amp with a $7 Fiio L3 LOD. Coming out of the amp I have a set of Beyerdynamic DT 1350's. I was wondering if I am missing that much with my cheep little LOD. Do the more expensive LOD's from places like ALO Audio offer that much more to my music listing expensive?

Thanks!

Have you looked at the prices of the ALO LOD cables? 
blink.gif
 They look pretty, but I'll stick to the FiiO cables.

Jun 9, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #4 of 12
Save the money and upgrade your amp first, if anything. Cable should always be the last thing to upgrade, if needed at all.

Jun 9, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #5 of 12

Here are some of my LODs -(Cheaper): Gold? Audiotrak, Fiio L9, (Medium priced): Qables at the back, and my latest (higher end)LODs low rider Forza custom LODs in silver and copper.

Is there a difference?, well owning a few LODs I have to say yes, many other people would say no.
The differences are fairly slight although audible.

I preferred my copper Qables cable, but quite stiff and bulky, the audiotrak was great and transparent with nice highs, Fiio L9 nice low rider form, felt it couldnt handle volume though, a bit muddy.

My new Forza LODs (made to order) seem to combine the best of the above LODs, small form (like an ALO cricket), silver for nice highs, a copper one for more warmth when i am in the mood.

But of course you can see my new Fostex hp_p1 on the right (custom piccolino usb-lod cable by Head-Fier QUSP on the way) so I wont be using these LODs or the stack of portable amps at the back so much anyway:)

Jun 12, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #6 of 12
Expensive LODs are nice if you need a specific size or you want a different look. As far as sound advantages, scientifically there might be slight advantage but when you factor in your headphones, amp, dac, etc. Adding a 3" piece of silver wire in the middle of all that isn't going to change the sound.

Jun 13, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:
Expensive LODs are nice if you need a specific size or you want a different look. As far as sound advantages, scientifically there might be slight advantage but when you factor in your headphones, amp, dac, etc. Adding a 3" piece of silver wire in the middle of all that isn't going to change the sound.

The only reason I bought a custom made LOD was to reduce the length of cable and achieve a very low profile with hand moulded I-Phone connector and cut down 3.5mm plug. Although It is re-assuring to have gold plated connectors and your personal preference in cable materials, I doubt that it makes much difference SQ wise. (1.5in of cable in my case)

Jun 15, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #8 of 12
As much as common sense might suggest such a short length cannot affect sound quality, a simple A-B test would show otherwise. I bought a Fiio L9 the other day hoping to streamline my portable setup only to find out I lost some sparkle in the highs, depth in the soundstage and some bass coming from my LOD-single solid wire UHPLC interconnect. I am now having it custom-made to be as compact as the L9. Of course as with everything it is system dependent, but to me that is how i hear it.

So LOD's differ and affect sound quality, but to answer the OP's question an expensive LOD is not necessary. That is if you can DIY or have someone do it for you, it is certainly worth the effort to experiment with different cables than just settling for off the shelf connectors.

Jun 16, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #9 of 12
A/B is worthless in such near comparisons. You need a blind comparison instead.

One thing about FiiO cables is the build quality - it used to be horrible - maybe they have stepped up their game?
I had their cables included with E7 and E17 break within 2 weeks of use. (mostly in pocket, so quite bent) They didn't hold the best of contact with the jacks either.

Jun 17, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #11 of 12
Not to derail the thread, but does anyone know of any DIYers making LODs for Sansa Fuzes on the (relatively) cheap? My kingdom for a right angle/low profile one.

Jun 17, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #12 of 12
Not to derail the thread, but does anyone know of any DIYers making LODs for Sansa Fuzes on the (relatively) cheap? My kingdom for a right angle/low profile one.

Try this eBay chap - see if he could custom the connection for you

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SANSA-FUZE-LINE-OUT-DOCK-LOD-HEADPHONE-AMPLIFIER-/261000087559?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item3cc4d14807#ht_1858wt_989

Wormwood

Users who are viewing this thread

Back